FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Open Office 3

snowboardalliance
Anyone tried this yet? I can't access the site though I got an email about the new release. I think there was too much traffic or something.
Diablosblizz
Yep, that's the problem with the site. Try looking again, it shows that they're trying to fix it, while it has a download link below it. Currently downloading it, so I hope it's worth it! I've waited a long time for .docx support.

OpenOffice wrote:
Apologies - our website is struggling to cope with the unprecedented
demand for the new release 3.0 of OpenOffice.org. The technical teams are
trying to come up with a solution.

Thank you for your patience.
ThePolemistis
Diablosblizz wrote:
Yep, that's the problem with the site. Try looking again, it shows that they're trying to fix it, while it has a download link below it. Currently downloading it, so I hope it's worth it! I've waited a long time for .docx support.

OpenOffice wrote:

Hmm try now... I get the following message:

OOv3 wrote:

OpenOffice.org download

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Language Release Windows Linux RPM Linux DEB Solaris x86 Solaris SPARC Mac OSX Intel Mac OSX PPC
Danish Dansk 3.0.0 Download Download Download

Download

Dutch Nederlands 2.4.1 Download Download Download

Download

English (US) English (US) 3.0.0 Download Download Download Download Download Download 2.4.1
French Français 3.0.0 Download Download Download

2.3.1 2.3.0
German Deutsch 3.0.0 Download Download Download 3.0.0
Download Download
Italian Italiano 3.0.0 Download Download

Japanese
3.0.0 Download Download Download

Korean
2.4.0 Download Download Download Download

Kurdish
2.4.1 Download

Norwegian Bokmal 2.4.1 Download Download

Norwegian Nynorsk 2.4.1 Download Download

Polish
2.4.1 Download Download Download

Russian
3.0.0 Download Download Download Download

Spanish Español 2.4.1 Download Download Download 2.4.0 2.4.0 2.4.0 2.4.0
Swedish Svenska 3.0.0 Download Download Download Download
Download Download

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But As you can see,, the download links are there!! and work (but i cant be bothered to download it,, bedtime for me Smile)
Diablosblizz
Yes, there was a download link there was just no point in including it into the message.
mehulved
Diablosblizz wrote:

I downloaded it from archlinux repos yesterday. Though i am yet to really try it out, initial look suggest that MS Office 2007 XML files are supported. But no idea how well they interoperate.
bernardnapoleon
hey post me some replies if it can already keep up this MS office speed. the version 2 was a turtle. tsk tsk.. thanks
ThePolemistis
Diablosblizz wrote:
Yes, there was a download link there was just no point in including it into the message.

Evidence. The world needs evidence. What are my words worth if I cannot backup what I say?
snowboardalliance
bernardnapoleon wrote:
hey post me some replies if it can already keep up this MS office speed. the version 2 was a turtle. tsk tsk.. thanks

I've noticed improvements. Like in v2 when you click "modify..." on a style, it takes seconds to show the dialog and even that is unresponsive at times. In v3, this is pretty responsive (at least in a quick test of it)
GSIS
I've just upgraded from v2.4 to v3.

I wasn't aware it was available until I read this topic.

I use the spreadsheet every day, occasionally use the word processor, and will be using the presentation/powerpoint thing to plan out some new software over the next few months.

So far I've found 2.4 slooooooooooooow, and 3 doesn't seem much faster though I need to give it more time to really be able to make up my mind.

Above all else, though, it's free and legal - both big issues for me. The speed isn't really a major issue because what I'm doing requires a lot of thought between actions. It's fast enough for my ageing brain to deal with!

Added: The installation was a bit weird. Initially it wiped out my bookmarks in FireFox. I can't figure out why it even went near it! After closing the Bookmarks sidebar and re-opening it again they were back. Other than that it seems fine. Maybe a little faster than 2.4 but not a great deal.
jdelfire
nice pretty handy....... thanxxx dude
Sphaerenkern
Finally OOo3! Now it's an Aqua-application on the mac and not some X11-thing Smile
There was NeoOffice which was compatible and pretty and in my opinion better than OOo for mac, but it was done by two people so the updates weren't always that fast Very Happy
Studio Madcrow
I'm waiting for an OpenSUSE-packaged version to come out before I pass judgement... I don't like the compile stuff that are this complicated myself...
Tphilakone
I never try it . What is special on open office ?
I think microsoft office 2003 is the best !
GSIS
Oh dear, I've just had to revert to 2.4.1

I use a lot of DDE linked arrays to copy data from my sales and purchase ledger sheets into a nominal ledger.

Works fine in 2.4.1, but some arrays don't link properly in 3.0

3.1 is only in beta so I won't use it for live data.

@Tphilakone:

It's free and legal. If it behaves itself and does what I want I see no reason to:

spend serious money on something I can get free
    use illegal software and turn myself into a criminal
chartcentral
I just installed OpenOffice.org 3 and still about to give it a test run! Haven't explored enough yet to say anything about this new version. But the new splash image/logo that appears when you start the program looks cooler than its predecessor though! Smile
lastelement0
im kind of curious as to what has really changed with oo3. i've downloaded and installed it. and it doesn't look much different or perform much different either. maybe after seeing the jump from office 2003 to 2007 and seeing that change i was expecting a lot more of a visual change. but if anyone knows of any major updates that'd be great.
silverdown
Hmmm. I might try this and see if it any good for me.
oufti
i have a question:

in this new version, it's the dictionnary work fine ?
brcause with the other version i newer find a dictionnary to spell my documents...

i'm look for french dictionnary, if someone have a hint or a link ^^
SHARPBALL
Just download the stuff and us it.
Im using it already more and more i use office no more.
Great suite nothing can beats the price.... ITS FREE Yeeeaaa

OPEN SOURCE THE FUTURE
Progs i use

OPENOFFICE3
BLENDER
TIGHTVNC
PICASA
the GIMP

ITS ALL FREE
oufti
oufti wrote:
i have a question:

in this new version, it's the dictionnary work fine ?
brcause with the other version i newer find a dictionnary to spell my documents...

i'm look for french dictionnary, if someone have a hint or a link ^^

i have loading and testing
this new version and is great for my first impression

the dictionnary is work fine

i have a regret, is the help fil is not really good...
when i look for something specific i need to go on the net by google to find help and hints

it's someone know a really good site to have help for openoffice ?
weableandbob
i've used 2.4, and I like it. A free alternative to microsoft office
cyberbuddy
Open Office from Sun microsystem is good way to find a way bypassing Microsoft's Expensive Office .Sun Microsystem which led this innovative software can be really proud because Open Office has the entire thing that is there in Microsoft office .yes i mean it every thing .Open office is superb and quite user friendly but we are familar with microsoft office that's why we may find it bit difficult to digest its feature.Open office is good for those who intend to setup a new small business in Software filed because its open system and yes it can be used in professional IT companies because it is not only available for WINDOWS but also for Linux,Apple system .Its does has the adjacent database system corresponding to Access in microsoft office .Many samll software firms has started using this open office because of it similarities with Microsoft office so in all probabilites i think this is a break through in software filed and really a small threat to Microsoft's office

thank u Very Happy
Da Rossa
A huge disapointment. I thought they would come closer to MS Office along the versions they release, but this, so far, has proven wrong. Perhaps we're far from the time both suites will be equal. MS Office 2k7 is WAY superior; OO is a wannabe.
No major changes from the 2.x to 3.0. That's sad. Moreover I don't like their java engine, it appears to be resource hog in here.

Plus, read my signiture. I already have been a victim of "compatibility mistakes".
Agent ME
Da Rossa wrote:
A huge disapointment. I thought they would come closer to MS Office along the versions they release, but this, so far, has proven wrong. Perhaps we're far from the time both suites will be equal. MS Office 2k7 is WAY superior; OO is a wannabe.
No major changes from the 2.x to 3.0. That's sad. Moreover I don't like their java engine, it appears to be resource hog in here.

I haven't seen any incompatibilities between ms office and OO other than really customized graphs and a few presentation templates not being the same on both. Not that I've really tested to try to see a difference - what do you have problems with?
OO runs on java, which isn't going to change, as this helps it support many systems easily, and Sun, the main company behind OO, is also the same one that makes java. Not that it running on java isn't a possible valid point against it.
Da Rossa
The problem is that I'm used to MS Office... Also, in my language, the dictionaries are more complete and the syntax/grammar detector is more powerful. But I encourage people to use OO, the more people use it, the better, because the development will reach a closer position to MSO.

Other thing: the problem maybe in java itself. I'm kinda ignorant about Java, but why so many people say "ohhh" to it?
oufti
do you now some's adress site's to obtain macro translation/conversion between excell macro and oo3
Mennoj1
I use OpenOffice 3 all since the first release and I think its working great.
oufti
its some body know the way to show only a sheet witout the acces to the menu or the button bar
why ?
to have a programme like and not a sheet of calculator

i found the code for excel but nobody can translate it for open office
jsfdan
It's a good alternative to MS Office.
hummer010
I've been pretty happy with OOo 3 so far. I don't use any advanced features or anything, so I've never really noticed anything missing between OOo and MS office. I did have a problem with 2.4 once. I was taking an online university course, and the assignments had to be submitted online in word 2000 format. If I saved the document out of OOo in word format and submitted it, it was always corrupt. I haven't had the same problem with version 3 though.

For those of you complaining about speed - check your memory settings. Go to Tools->Options and then click on the Memory section. The first thing to do is reduce the number of Undo steps. I have mine set to 20. I think 100 is a bit of overkill. The second thing I do is to set the Graphics cache memory to 256MB, and the Memory per object to 10MB, and the number of objects to 25. I know the settings are for Graphics Cache, but they seem to help the application as a whole.
Da Rossa
The only good thing about it is that it's free. Can't be compared to MS Office, unfortunately.
Studio Madcrow
Da Rossa wrote:
The only good thing about it is that it's free. Can't be compared to MS Office, unfortunately.

Actually it can. And it even compares fairly well, especially the word processor and spreadsheet bits. The one thing that I will agree with, the OO.o Database component is HORRIBLE compared to Access...
hummer010
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:

Actually it can. And it even compares fairly well, especially the word processor and spreadsheet bits. The one thing that I will agree with, the OO.o Database component is HORRIBLE compared to Access...

The fact that OO's database is terrible compared to Access is pretty impressive when one considers how terrible Access is.

I hate Access.

I agree about the word processor and spreadsheet though. I haven't found one thing in Word or Excel that is missing in OO.
babygeek
crashes now and then...but it's pretty ok....good substitute for ms office
welshsteve
I've used it and it's pretty good, although it is very slow at loading to begin with.
guggs
As other people have said, the only advantage it has over Office is that it's free. It's OKish if you just want to play around, doing simple stuff, but forget it for anything remotely complicated. And don't get me started on the database offering ...
chartcentral
The transition from that other office suite software was difficult (and frustrating at times), but now, I have learned to get along with OpenOffice.org well and be happy and satisfied with how it works. It just takes a little getting used to. I want to credit the development team for a greatly improved product over time. Smile