FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flash Memories, SD, XD, Compact Flash ... Cards

mshafiq
Let us discuss about Flash Medias
-- Their usage
-- Adapters
-- Prices
-- Issues
-- etc.

Does anyone knows if there is any SD card to Compact Flash adapter (like micro SD to SD).

If so I would like to use it with eee-pc.
It came with 2GB compact flash card
and as CF cards are costly (though the edge is they are very faster in speed) but SD cards are cheap.

Any Idea?

-- Regards
eznet
Yup: http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/eagletec_sd_to_cf_ii_card_adapter_review

Yea, there are a variety of adapters out there. Aside from adapters, you can always go the route of USB card readers. You can pick up a USB media reader for next to nothing, and then you are able to read pretty much all flash available on the market. I assume you have USB on your eee-pc?

It is nice that flash memory has gotten so much more affordable - in SD you can pick up 4 GB for ~$20 on ebay. I can remember when all flash memory was about as expensive as RAM - luckily this is no longer the case.
brokenadvice
The best flash card I have seen is an SD card that folds in half and can be plugged directly into a USB port. It would be great to not carry around an extra adapter everywhere I go.
mshafiq
Thanks eznet

http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/eagletec_sd_to_cf_ii_card_adapter_review

is the stuff I was looking for.

Thanks again!
guanzz
Flash Medias is fasion,we should discuss
eznet
Yea, I actually have recently picked up a small USB media reader from ebay for about 5 bucks. Read all the major flash formats and acts like an upgradable jump drive. They are simple pieces of hardware and they usually work great (just like any other USB drive). With the cost of SD cards, it is about cheaper to get an adapter and a card instead of a Jump Drive.

Glad I could help.

-Matt
mshafiq
Hi
I thing guanzz is alright

I would like to say it is not only fashion but is a part of life too (at least for new generation).

The usage is also beyond just storage.

eg, boot from USB with Operating system (DSL linux, Fedora Live, Windows installer [mentioned by EEE-PC]) etc.

Plus keeping a collection of portable software*.

* See
http://portableapps.com/
and
www.portablefreeware.com

-- Regrads
eznet
mshafiq wrote:
Hi
I thing guanzz is alright

I would like to say it is not only fashion but is a part of life too (at least for new generation).

The usage is also beyond just storage.

eg, boot from USB with Operating system (DSL linux, Fedora Live, Windows installer [mentioned by EEE-PC]) etc.

Plus keeping a collection of portable software*.

* See
http://portableapps.com/
and
www.portablefreeware.com

-- Regrads

Could not agree more - I would be lost without mine... Since I am in windows at my work, I keep an extensive army of portable apps on my 1GB jump drive - primarily GAIM, FTPZilla (for ssh-ftp), Putty (for opening my SSH tunnel) and VNC (for accessing my VNC server via my SSH tunnel).

I know that my co-workers and I also use them extensively for file transfers and such. Although not the same, though somewhat related, I am happy to find platter based storage, notably notebook hard drives, are getting really cheap - coupled with an external USB 2.0 enclosure, you have a 400GB jump drive...
mshafiq
Sub: Yes it not the fashion but the need of the day as well

You are right eznet.

I would like to add that I keep KeePassPortable, OpenOffice, (Pidgin (formerly GIAM)), kitty (better than putty), VLC media player etc. etc.

And its hard for me to be without these portable tools.

Anyway, I would like to know some used thinstall successful to make applications portable.
If yes, please mention which applications were made portable through it.

-- Regards
eznet
I think that making an application portable depends on what the application requires to operate. Some applications are all encompassing, or will only have a few Dlls that reside within its directory structure - then while you other apps that install files all over the computer and have a broad range of dependencies and so are harder to make portable. For an example of a non-portable app that was easy to make portable, I use TightVNC to control my desktop while I am on my work PC. The TightVNC I wanted to use was not 'portable'... luckily, the VNC was just an executable and a config file, so it was easy to make it portable- really i just put it on the drive and added a menu link in the portableApps menu.

What apps are you wanting portable?
mshafiq
Hi

Can someone please update me if Futureshop/bestbuy ot staples keep IDE to Flash

ie to convert Flash card as IDE Hard drive.

I want to suggest someone but he can not buy from online.

-- Thanks a lot
mshafiq
I found that* kind of adapter from http://www.focalprice.com

* CF Compact Flash to IDE HD Converter Adapter

I just received the shipment and will update if it works perfectly.

The only thing it does not accept SD card but CF (Compact Flash only), However as it is cheap (just for $2.07 with free shipping so there is no harm to experiment with it.

Thanks!