FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

2008 Loebner Prize winner

Chris65536
Wasn't quite sure whether this counted as news or software, so I'll stick it here and admin can move it if they want. I'm still getting used to this place...

Loebner prize is basically the Turing Test with variations (2008 competition was limited to a 5 minute dialog between a judge and two "entities": one was a computer, the other a human. The challenge was to convince the judge that the computer was a human)

2008 Bronze award (US$3000) awarded to Fred Roberts on behalf of Elbot, which managed to convince 3 out of 12 judges that it was a human. The Silver and Gold awards could not be won due to the competition guidlines this year (Silver requires a 50% pass rate on a 25 minute conversation, Gold is the "X-prize" of the AI world, and means that you need to pass the test over an audio/visual conference thing. Loebner wasn't too clear on that in his talk... Rolling Eyes )

And this is hot off the presses: I've just come from the award cermony about 5 minutes ago.... I guess this means I've turned into the sort of person who likes to post "first"....

More info on the Loebner prize may be found at either http://www.loebner.net/Prizef/loebner-prize.html or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loebner_prize.