FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

To which extend do sitemaps help SEO?

susapra
Anyone really notice a big traffic difference from search engines in regards to using a sitemap vs not using one?
Peterssidan
Are we talking xml sitemaps for search engines or in sitemaps html? But the answer for me is no. xml sitemaps are only there to help the search engines find your pages easy but it will not help you rank any better.
jsarnold
Certainly using a sitemap (especially Google's own tool) will help you to draw attention to the pages you wish to have crawled. But I doubt that it would improve your ranking much neyond a standard domain submission, unless of course there were key pages or content that might otherwise be hard to reach. Having said which, if it's hard to reach, how many visitors would find it anyway?
sketteksalfa
I for myself have found sitemaps very helpful in finding internal pages. Somehow it is very helpful for a user like me and it extends the time the user can spend on the website.
Josso
Yeah Google seems to cache a lot more of my pages on my forum since I uploaded an XML sitemap for it.
FunDa
Yeah, sitemaps help to tell Google to look at the content and not waste time caching all the forum and blog images and build files.

You can even give priority to the more important stuff in your site.

If you have a blog like a Wordpress one , it probably has a few addons for creating sitemaps automatically, so you just install and sit back.
winmark
XML sitemaps are highly recommended.
gcaughill
RE: The Following Checklist,

http://www.dailyblogtips.com/seo-checklist/

Sitemaps (if done correctly), get a small positive benefit to your site. They help search engines find your pages, and show the link structure of your site.

Hope that helps...
Hogwarts
They only help your site if your site is made in a seriously poor way.

As long as you have a clear link (i.e. not a ECMAscript/Flash one) to every page of your website, there is no benefit to the use of a sitemap. It's simply a waste of effort to create one. Focus more on creating content, higher precedence in search results will follow.