FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Moon Mission Is Not Expensive

pavanvenu
Quote:
Dismissing suggestions that Chandrayaan-1 was an expensive mission, ISRO has said the moon odyssey will enable India to upgrade technological expertise for exploration of outer space and ultimately help in setting up a base on the earth's natural satellite.

"Moon mission cost is less than Rs 400 crore, which is just ten per cent of annual budget of ISRO spread over many years," ISRO spokesperson S Satish said, countering critics who questioned the need for such a venture when other countries have already explored the moon.

Cost of India's first unmanned lunar mission, slated for October 22, is Rs 386 crore, which includes Rs 100 crore for the establishment of Indian Deep Space Network (IDSN) at Byalalu near here that will perform the task of receiving radio signals transmitted by future satellites, not just Chandrayaan-1.

"Those who argue that the moon mission is unnecessary do not know the full facts," say ISRO officials.
ocalhoun
Well, that is one feasible 'first' left for developing countries do distinguish their space programs...

Most of the others (such as first in orbit, first on the Moon) have already been claimed, but if India could be the first to do something (like having a permanent Moon base), they would be taken much more seriously.
welshsteve
I think going to the moon is a waste of money. Money better spent on sorting out the financial mess on earth at the moment, brought on by the human race's worst instinct. Greed

I love space, and the possibilities of exploring it are fantastic, but the human race as a whole needs to sort itself out before venturing off eleswhere
ocalhoun
welshsteve wrote:
but the human race as a whole needs to sort itself out before venturing off eleswhere

Which means we would probably never get 'elsewhere' at all.
welshsteve
Then let this be an aim for humanity. To quote Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks - "Why don't we all just get along?"
apple
welshsteve wrote:
I think going to the moon is a waste of money. Money better spent on sorting out the financial mess on earth at the moment, brought on by the human race's worst instinct. Greed

I love space, and the possibilities of exploring it are fantastic, but the human race as a whole needs to sort itself out before venturing off eleswhere

well said!!! I agree
ocalhoun
welshsteve wrote:
Then let this be an aim for humanity. To quote Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks - "Why don't we all just get along?"

If humans ever 'all just get along', they'll bear only a passing resemblance to the humans we know now.
Afaceinthematrix
welshsteve wrote:

I don't think it's a waste of money. The possbility of scientific ressearch makes it worth it. Imagine the possibilites if we found some type of resource on another planet. It would be amazing!
Bikerman
I take the view that knowing is important - regardless of the economic/social benefits.
We are apes - and apes are curious. Finding out about the universe is an important part of our make-up. Now it is, of course, possible to argue that robot probes can do the job better than manned landings - a view which I have some sympathy for - but setting-up a base on the moon is surely something well overdue, since it would give us the ability to do new science there, as well as act as a potential base for further missions to the planets (since the escape velocity on the moon is so much lower).
polly-gone
welshsteve wrote:

Just throwing money at our financial mess isn't going to solve anything.

And going to the moon is not a waste of money because it can help up develop new technologies. Many inventions have come as the result of space exploration.

And wouldn't it be wicked cool if we found a colony of super advanced martians living under the surface of Mars that could tell us how to cure every Earth disease.

And while my last comment was irrelevant and far-fetched, don't say it is not possible because it is only possible to prove things, not disprove them.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
King of Irrelevant Nonsense
Voodoocat
Man has an innate drive to explore- thank goodness! If it were not for our restlessness and drive we might still be shucking bananas in trees Laughing

Lunar exploration is a great idea. The money and research spent on lunar exploration will undoubtably benefit the country that backs it.
cyberbuddy
Its not matter of money but its a matter of pride and yes informative also !!!very few countries have gone to moon !!!and now India has done! through this mission india will be in the list of top countries in Space administration and yes information gained from this mission will be shared by many nation will which will be product full knowledge
ocalhoun
You can look at the historical perspective as well... In 100 years, after many countries have had moon missions and trips there are relatively easy, it would look very good for India to be able to claim to have been the 3rd country ever to get there, before almost everybody else.
mOrpheuS
I don't see anything wrong with investing money in scientific research.
Not unnecessary - this is long overdue !
The launch of India's first satellite (INSAT-IA) was met with similar criticism - "why spend millions to take television to the houses of a rich few ?". How about today ?

The moon mission might not mean much by itself, but the bigger reward for such an investment (in money and hardwork) is in what it signifies.
It will place ISRO (and India) among the top players ... which will, for example, give more confidence to other countries looking to have their satellites deployed using the services of ISRO (http://www.antrix.gov.in/).
Already, a significant portion of ISRO's annual budget is met by the profits made from commercial satellite launches! A waste of money ?
Infact, compared to the space programs of other countries (which, unlike ISRO, are invariably rooted in their respective milirary programs), ISRO runs on a shoestring budget.

IPSNews wrote:
...compared to other space-faring nations, the Indian Space Research Organisation’s (ISRO’s) missions are cost-effective. Chandrayaan cost ISRO 80 million US dollars, compared to Japan’s Selene mission’s 480 million dollars, or China’s Change-E1 mission that cost 187 million dollars. The European Space Agency (ESA's Small Mission for Advanced Research in Technology (SMART-1) in 2003 cost 140 million dollars.

Poverty can only truly be eliminated with socio-economic reforms... not by cutting down on funds for research and "distributing it among the poor".

p.s. - If anything, the onscene amount of money being spent on cricket in India should be given to the poor instead. Razz
killianvillian
Quote:

What do you mean by worst?

Greedily I think our worst instinct is curiosity. Partly because of the unchecked imbalance it causes the human race to move towards, but also because of its subtle place in our current dialogues. Everyone supports curiosity as the the shining light in a bright young child's brain. And it's that curiosity that developed everything we have from the wheel, to the atom bomb, to the microprocessor, etc.

Just because it's possibly the worst in terms of danger, doesn't mean I think we should or even can change it. Actually I only think its the worst because I'm kind of a product of environmentalism. I think our side effects as a race on the environment are detrimental, but only because they are ruining the environment for our own uses.

Really, If we cause the next mass extinction, who will care? The next animal to take over, may be the squirrel, and if so, the world could be a better place. Especially for them, with no humans driving cars over all their hidden nut fields.

But if we think we can focus everyone's attention on the economic crisis, by not paying our scientists to do anything but ... but ... what was your suggestion for us to do it instead of put money towards scientists studying outer space? Should we pay the astronomers to think about economy? I have a feeling that won't fix too many problems either.

The best I hope for is that we use our resources to put people to task at what they are best at. I think astronomers should keep looking to space, i think intelligence should be promoted as currency, and abuse of that intelligence punishable by forced cabbage-eating, and that ultimately we should never ask a cowboy to be a president. There aren't any cows within 100 feet of an important decision being made right now.

OR are there?
ocalhoun
killianvillian wrote:

i think intelligence should be promoted as currency,

Dernnit! I new I coodn't efford dat spiffy new car! Now I'z to stoopid to figger out how ta sell et!
Quote:
and that ultimately we should never ask a cowboy to be a president. There aren't any cows within 100 feet of an important decision being made right now.

OR are there?

Depends what kind of decisions you consider important. And personally, I think that raising cattle could help build some of the character traits that would make a good leader.
killianvillian
Quote:
Depends what kind of decisions you consider important. And personally, I think that raising cattle could help build some of the character traits that would make a good leader.

Leader of what?
ocalhoun
killianvillian wrote:
Quote:

Leader of what?

Sound and frugal financial management
Making tough decisions when needed
Relying on the advice of experts when needed
Sound judgment in spending on things that are proven and time-tested
Ability to stay emotionally detached from situations
Fortitude to go through tough times
Down to Earth perspective; dealing with life and death daily, not insulated from it.

All good traits for any leader, and all of which could easily be learned on a ranch.
killianvillian
Granted. These all can be learned on a ranch, and and of course I would love to say that cowboys can be great leaders in the effort to sound more open minded.

I just find myself in a time, when one particular cowboy has exhibited what I consider terrible leadership, and for this reason i suspect them to be a bit ill-equipped for leadership positions.

It was basically a political jab, because I know any background can yield good AND bad leaders. There are too many factors to make this thread a real argument on the position. But since i can see you're lover of horses, Im sure you would love arguing this point until I come clean that my view was anti-bush. SO to make peace, I submit to you:

I bet cowboys are excellent dodge-ball players.
Bikerman
I'm closing this since I see precious little science.
Bikerman

Topic re-opened after an appeal. Please let's try to keep the discussion scientific.
killianvillian
I think i was part of the reason for the closing, so i apologize.

But i really do like the science behind this thread. I was wondering based on a discussion in another thread if anyone has any ideas about open craft product licensing of space craft?

If technology could develop in the same fashion that software under open software licenses develops, could space exploration evolve based more on skilled interest than on financial resource gathering?

Of course machinery costs money. And this cant be resolved with mere interest.

But i have doubts that a large amount of the money that funds the exploration is in materials, and more in hiring brains.

Can anyone confirm or deny?
ocalhoun
killianvillian wrote:

But i have doubts that a large amount of the money that funds the exploration is in materials, and more in hiring brains.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

For one thing, the spacecraft are no doubt fabulously expensive. They use exotic materials, literally tons of fuel, and countless parts have to be specially manufactured in extremely small production runs, which will make even simple parts very expensive.

(For example, take one of the circuit cards used on the radar set I maintain. It is an extremely simple card, and uses technology from the '70's. If it was mass produced, it would easily cost less than a dollar to make. However, since very, very few are needed, each one has to be custom made. They cost over $6000 each.)

Also, even interested people still need means of support. Volunteers can't be expected to put in nearly as much time, and when hiring, beggars can't be choosers.
myviny
Humanity could have been no where if no research and development had taken place. So, Its important that we keep exploring the new things and also improve the already explored ones.