FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux

westcp
hey guys

im looking to get linux - fedora or mandriva - but cant afford to download 4 gigs worth. anyone know wher ei can get?

alternatively, I have ubuntu live cd any one know how to make it boot from a hard drive?

cheers
thanks
sheedatali
westcp wrote:
hey guys

im looking to get linux - fedora or mandriva - but cant afford to download 4 gigs worth. anyone know wher ei can get?

alternatively, I have ubuntu live cd any one know how to make it boot from a hard drive?

cheers
thanks

It seems that you are very new to linux, Fedora, Mandrivia etc are desktop distros and usually do not do stripped down versions. they do full blown CD or DVD images. If you have Ubuntu Live CD then you can use that to install on your hard drive. Once you boot into live CD, just click on Install link on your desktop. This will start the installation process. Beware though, if you have windows on your system then you might have resize your disk to make room for Linux, however if Linux is the sole OS you want then you can use the entire disk. Ubuntu has all the tools built in Live CD to get this done. Live CD should get you up and running, you can download further updates or software later if you want.
westcp
really?

opk going to try it

i have 3 hard drives so will use one for linux.

thanks!
ocalhoun
westcp wrote:

http://www.osdisc.com/
I've gotten a couple versions from them, and they do good work. They'll sell you a CD and ship it to you, and all their CD's (and DVD's) are reasonably priced.
dude_xyx
Like sheedatali said Ubuntu is the best option for you. they send you a set of CDs to your home FREE and its easy to install too. But I don't think you can use separate hard disks to make a dual boot PC. all boot records has to be in a one hard disk I think.
hanys
Hi westcp,

I have few tips for you m8, once you want to get familiar with linux a livecd is a good start. Distros like Fedora or Mandriva yes, those are good for a start. After you get familiar with the way the system works, configuration mechanisms, network managment and other stuff.. be aware there are also distributions which are usualy considered as more difficult in installation and management. This isn't always true. Documentation is your bible here.

I'd like to introduce to you gentoo linux. This one lets you start with minimal install CD (around 60M to fetch) or live CD with gui/console install scripts (around 700M to fetch). Additionaly there is a great support for this distribution in its handbook, forums and IRC. The biggest advantage is it's performance. Keep on mind that built from scratch and customized system is much more faster than binary-based platform. Oh and did I mention about the unique Portage tree? It fetches all the packages as source code applies patches and builds binaries in the best way it can: by compiling the source code for your platform. This takes time of course, but it's done by Portage itself. The overall result is worth of time spent on educating yourself even more. Gentoo homepage:
http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml

Cheers =]
hofodomo01
Gentoo is a pretty nice distribution, but since you look like you're looking for ease-of-use, probably stick to something like ubuntu for a while. Gentoo takes quite a bit of configuration and know-how, so once you feel like you've become familiar with linux systems, probably try out gentoo.
welshsteve
It is possible to order a CD at a small cost.

Mandriva is a very nice looking distro I have to admit.

Ubuntu or Kubuntu are nice as well though, and a fraction of the size. Ubunti is around 600MB I believe.

If you're on dial up, any distro is going to xost a lot though, except DSL (Damn Small Linuz). But this distro isn't pretty. It's only 50MB, so is really only for use on pen drives.
djclue917
westcp wrote:
hey guys

cheers
thanks

I suggest you start with an easy-to-use distro that's popular. Also, knowing a person with first-hand experience of that particular distro that you've chosen is another plus. This is because nothing beats actual people personally helping other people.

This is actually one of the factors I considered when I decided to try out and use Arch. Back then, when I get into trouble or just couldn't figure something out, I just ask a friend personally since he's an actual Arch Linux user, and an experienced one at that.