FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

a way to turn a serial keyboard into a usb?

weableandbob
Is there any way to take an old keyboard that plugs into a desktop's serial type port thing and turn it into a usb keyboard with some solder and cables?
sheedatali
I think you are bit lost here,

Serial and USB are two different interfaces, you can not just hook up some cables and expect it to work with a different interface. There are converters available for both type of interfaces that you can use to convert from one to the other. You might want to give them a go, I have personally used Serial to USB, which makes the devices appear as Serial device on USB port. I believe similar is available for reverse.
Diablosblizz
No you can't, BUT you can buy a adaptor. First, it's not serial that your looking for (unless your going wayy back) but you can buy an adaptor for really cheap. I am not sure where you are located, but here is a online website that shows just what you need:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=776087

Hope this helps.
weableandbob
that's what I though =(
ocalhoun
weableandbob wrote:
that's what I though =(

What's wrong with just getting a (cheap) adapter?
shkhanal
The converters from one interface to another are not that cheap that you need considering solding.
TheOnionRack
When you say "Serial" do you mean Serial as in the connection that is the same shape as Game controller and VGA ports? You would need a converter for those. But it is possible to convert from PS/2 to USB with a little adaptor. As far as I know, those things work just by rewiring things, but that is just based on the fact that they are so small. I have no idea how you could fit a tiny circuit board into those things.
internetjobs
ps/2 to serial connector simply available in the market... ps/2 to usb too..
albuferque
Check this to give yourself an idea(I can't say it's a cheap solution):

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/124184
n3k0
Is this old keyboard so good?

You can buy a cheap good new one!
ForceRun
n3k0 wrote:
Is this old keyboard so good?

You can buy a cheap good new one!

Thats what I would do, you can get a basic USB keyboard starting at $5 USD.
ciureanuc
"No you can't, BUT you can buy a adaptor. First, it's not serial that your looking for (unless your going wayy back) but you can buy an adaptor for really cheap. I am not sure where you are located, but here is a online website that shows just what you need:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=776087
Hope this helps."

This adapter I tried to use on my Toshiba Laptop.
For keyboard AND for mouse; on my Windows XP SP3 operating system.
I tried two, bought from two different shops, in two different towns.
Both SUCKS! Sad
Something is wrong... I tried to restart the system with the mouse/keyboard plugged in, no help.

You now, I'm thinking... the USB port is plug&play type, the PS2 is not that kind (if you pull he mouse from the port and then reinsert it, it will not work).
I opened a PS2 mouse and an USB mouse... one of them (I don't recall now who) have an extra wire!
Kaseas
weableandbob wrote:
Is there any way to take an old keyboard that plugs into a desktop's serial type port thing and turn it into a usb keyboard with some solder and cables?

Spend 10 bucks on a PS2 to USB adaptor.