FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How can I make this look more interesting?

the-blurb
I'm always interested in learning new bits of html and general website design, but what I'm finding hard is making navigation bars look more interesting.

Take a look at my current site: www.the-blurb.frih.org

I'm talking specifically about the black navigation bar underneath the page header. Does anyone have any idea how I can possibly make it look a little more interesting? Or maybe It looks okay as it is...
I'm really just wanting something to work on and figured the navigation bar was the thing most in need of decorating.
GB
Why do you feel the need to decorate? If you're thinking that you need to do something to punch it up, examine the reasons you think you need to do this. To make it more usable? To make it fit the theme of your website better? To connect better with your audience? What is the purpose of this change?

You may have gathered that I believe that good design is driven by content + theme. Looking first to your content and theme will give you the ideas you need for the design.

Good luck on your website. I think it is one of the better ones I've seen in this forum.
the-blurb
GB wrote:
Why do you feel the need to decorate? If you're thinking that you need to do something to punch it up, examine the reasons you think you need to do this. To make it more usable? To make it fit the theme of your website better? To connect better with your audience? What is the purpose of this change?

You may have gathered that I believe that good design is driven by content + theme. Looking first to your content and theme will give you the ideas you need for the design.

Good luck on your website. I think it is one of the better ones I've seen in this forum.

Thanks so much for the compliment, you've really brightened up my day Smile

As for why I'm thinking of ways to change the navigation bar, I can't help but feel that it looks a little boring. My favourite kinds of websites are ones that are very visuallly appealing, pleasing to the eye and so forth. But maybe I'm confusing simple with boring. I'm not sure whether adding things like images (much like the navigation menu to the right of your own webpage), or changing the colour from black to something more interesting would be a good idea.
jylan
Yes very nicely designed website, congratulations! I see what you mean about the navigation being a little plain, maybe you could add some horizontal borders on the hover effect. Just make sure that you add transparent borders on the deactive link.

You might also be able to try a pointer arrow or something that appears underneath each link when they are hovered on.
fantabulousinc
It's a pretty good looking website =] I don't see the need to do anything to it. Sometimes the more you add the worse it looks. It's fine how it is because it's simple, clean-cut, and to the point, unlike some websites where they're navigation is too elaborate to the point that it's almost impossible to find what you're looking for.
the-blurb
thanks for both your replies. I think simple certainly is the key seeing as the rest of the website is quite design heavy.. and I dont want design overload. I might take your advice Jylan and maybe design something simple to use as a hover effect. If I keep it white like the text then it might not look too bad.