FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

desktop or laptop

Desktop or Laptop?
Desktop
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Laptop
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 11

ciureanuc
OK, my computer is getting older and older... I think I have tu upgrade it to a new... in fact, I might have to be "forced" to buy a new computer!
We are in 2008 (almost 2009)...what is your opinion: A new desktop or a laptop?
The prices become more and more attractive for laptops, mobility is included, small space on desk, less heavier...

Do the desktops keep up for a home user? HOME user not professional user. Smile
prithvi
Depends on what you are intending to do with your system.
Are you really going to use it on the move, work on your backlog while travelling, make presentations etc.? For that matter, do you travel a lot?

If you are into gaming/graphics or going to use it for such purposes even rarely, a desktop would be a much better option. A laptop optimized for graphics would be much costlier.

Adding desktop PC parts is much easier compared to that of a laptop. In a laptop, replacing parts after purchase of the system gets costlier.
ocalhoun
Unless you specifically need the portability of a laptop, get a desktop.
You'll get the same performance for cheaper (or more performance for the same price, however you want to look at it), it'll be easier to upgrade and add parts to, and it'll be cheaper to fix if something breaks. Oh, and it'll break less often, and be less likely to be stolen.
r4inm4ker
I suggest otherwise. Unless you use the full power of desktop for heavy application(like 3D rendering, heavy gaming,etc), then just get a notebook. As you said, it's getting cheaper nowadays, and it's less space consuming, more energy efficient (since it's designed for mobility), you can bring it with you while traveling or doing things outside, and it looks better, lol. You'll notice no performance different from using desktop most of the time, because you're using just 50% less of the maximum capability (provided that you're buying specs that are up-to-date).
Kelvin
The difference between the notebook and the desktop is that the desktop offers more upgradability as compared to the notebook. So if you are not planning for future upgrades and prefer the mobility, then go for a notebook that has an independent graphis processor as that will give you more processing power. Max your notebook RAM and I guess that is as far as you will be able to go with that notebook for it's lifetime unless you decide to upgrede the processor in the future.
deadswan
I prefer Laptop's, but then again I do move around alot so it's just handy lol
And all my computers have been horribly slow after a little while d'oh!
pll
ciureanuc wrote:
Do the desktops keep up for a home user? HOME user not professional user. Smile

I would take a laptop. If you use your computer just for surfing the net, playing little games, upload some pics from your camera then I'd take a little laptop.
You said it yourself you'll be an HOME and not a PROFESSIONAL user so I would go for a little laptop with something like 250 Gb hard drive, 2-3 gb of RAM not more and you'll be good for a while with it. Wink

And they are not so expensive.
MatthijsM90
Hmm, the Question is what u are going do with it? Buy it for gaming... or buy it for work?

For gaming i recommend: Desktop
For work : Laptop

WHy, for gaming you need many space, installing game on laptop costs many space, for work is it perfect, work in train, airport, airplane (no connection).
Donutey
Get a cheap laptop (~$500) and spend the rest on a desktop. A laptop is only good for maybe three years, they tend to break much faster than desktops. I can't really see any justification for spending a bunch on a laptop, unless you absolutely don't want a desktop.

Desktops are in general faster, cheaper, and longer lasting (both performance, upgrading and reliability wise) than laptops.
liljp617
Both. Get a fairly cheap laptop that allows Internet use/typing word documents etc. and use the desktop for everything else.

Either way, it's impossible for us to decide on such little information. Are you currently in university/college? Would your work be more suited by a laptop or desktop? Do you plan on playing games on the new computer? Do you use the computer a lot or just casually? Do you like sitting at a desk or would you rather sit on your couch/bed?
MeddlingMonk
It really depends on what you want to do with it. I agree with previous posts where it is said that a desktop is usually faster, cheaper, easier to upgrade and doesn't break as quickly. On the other hand, a laptop is far smaller, more mobile and often more convenient.

If you're going to use it for heavy processing - stuff that is CPU intensive such as games, graphics/video rendering, etc. - then I would recommend a desktop.

If you're going to use it for general office processing, music/dvd playback, etc. then you'll be fine with a laptop that has reasonable specs.
bigt
prithvi wrote:
Depends on what you are intending to do with your system.
Are you really going to use it on the move, work on your backlog while travelling, make presentations etc.? For that matter, do you travel a lot?

If you are into gaming/graphics or going to use it for such purposes even rarely, a desktop would be a much better option. A laptop optimized for graphics would be much costlier.

Adding desktop PC parts is much easier compared to that of a laptop. In a laptop, replacing parts after purchase of the system gets costlier.

I completely agree. It all depends on how the system is going to be used. Laptops still cost more for the same bang as a comparable desktop.

prithvi was right on the money Smile pun intended

I use a laptop here at work because I travel some. I have a docking station, which I recommend for anyone that finds himself coming and going often. Going for the cheaper port replicator is also an option. Had issues with the USB type of replicators though.
psycosquirrel
I say both. No reason not to have a cheap laptop and a nice desktop!
Georgeboy
If you decide to buy a laptop, don't choose a cheap one. I think you will get more pleasure to buy a good mobile system for a normal price. The mobility is for me very interesting. You can take your computer every where you want. I saw what happened with my desktop since I have a laptop. I wanted to use them both. The first week it works, I started both. But the second week I asked myself, why booting my desktop machine if my programs are running as fast on my laptop or maybe faster...

You should realize for what reason you want to use your computer. Also you have to ask yourself what person you are. Are you a static or nomadic person, for example: you have a computer on your work and when you come home, you only do some sports outside... then I don't think you need a laptop. But if you spend your free time in some society movements, then probably you may need your laptop on some meetings...
I don't think you could make a wrong decision. It is only the question, what do you need that is necessary.
aningbo
i would prefer a desktop since u could get 5 times faster for the same price or even better.

why bother would a laptop. the few advantages are jst being potable and battery life and watver more... desktop is still preferable.... wats ur budget?
william
I'd say get both, unless you never need a computer outside the house or if you're never home.

Desktops offer far better performance than a laptop, and at a fraction of the price. However, a laptop's mobility is always useful. Simply get an inexpensive notebook (if you live in the United States, black Friday is coming up) or even a netbook if all you need is wireless web browsing, email, and some basic productivity. Along with that, buy or build a nice desktop. You'll have numerous upgrade options, and price to performance will be far superior to a laptop.
devaco
I prefer Laptop's .........small and more power.........and you save space in your house...