FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

VB (almost) Programming under Linux

Quincunxian
If there are any programmers like me who are/were skilled in Visual Basic who want to make the transition to Linux then have a look at Gambas. http://gambas.sourceforge.net/
I'm running this under the current flavor of Ubuntu and enjoying the process.
I'm a (very) late comer to Linux but tackling the steep learning curve and stumbling my way through exploring new territory and found that having a simple RAD tool like Gambas with a code structure that I can relate to makes it all that more enjoyable. Gambas is NOT a clone as the web site indicates but the structure is very easy to learn for someone who has came from a Visual Basic background.
It has a good community and that enhances the experience because you feel less like a n00b and more like a valued member. The original creator is an active member of the community ( Benoit Minisini ).

Cheers,
Quin.
moh853
Gambas is awesome but the only problem i have with it is distributing my softwares as packages. my version 1.0.15 has some bugs.
Quincunxian
I'm using Gambas version 2.22.1 now under Ubuntu Hardy Heron and it works like a charm but I have not tried to make a packaged application with it yet for porting to other persons systems.
My first objective is to make a package for Ubuntu as then at least you have a 'reasonably' stable and known platform to work with. I was a Windows application packager for a few years and have a reasonable grip on the theory of how to test ie: use a fresh machine and certainly not a development machine - that road is fraught with danger, no matter what operating system you use.
I always have an 'old clunker' computer available to do the installation testing on with a vanilla build.
Chances are that if you get it to work on that, at least you know it's not because of hidden dependencies on your own machine.