FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

can xp run with 3 gb ram?

weableandbob
simple question...is it possible to run xp with 3 gb of ram, or is 2 the limit?
RiCtee
All 32-bit versions of Windows support a maximum of 4GB of physical memory, ie. Windows Vista, Windows XP and Windows 2000 Professional. However you might not be able to achieve the full 4GB because of the device memory. 64-bit versions should support much more. Anyway you can definitely run Windows XP with 3GB of RAM.
Fire Boar
Yes, my computer's XP partition recognizes 3 out of the 4 gig of RAM that I have. The missing gig is on my video card.
misterXY
weableandbob wrote:
simple question...is it possible to run xp with 3 gb of ram, or is 2 the limit?

l'm running a 32bit, xp sp2 with 3 gb and theres nothing wrong with it lol it reads it.
weableandbob
ok, thanks
ocalhoun
^Even if you were over its limits, it would still run just fine, only it would recognize just the maximum amount of RAM, which would be less than you installed, so you'd be wasting some of your RAM.
mehulved
Yes, 3 GB will be fully recognised and usable by XP 32-bit, too.
Fire Boar wrote:
Yes, my computer's XP partition recognizes 3 out of the 4 gig of RAM that I have. The missing gig is on my video card.
A gig for video memory? How does it help?
Fire Boar
Games and stuff? The video memory is prioritized above the RAM on the system. The gig is just what came with my nVidia 8600M card.
balend
yes, as it has been said, all versions of windows 32bit support upto 4gb of ram. If you want to use more ram, then the 64 bit of windows will allow you to run as much as you want.
Studio Madcrow
Just, remember, however, before you decide to go the 64-bit route, that ther are lots of incompatabilities in Win64. It would be nice if Win32 would implement good PAE support, so that 32-bit windows would get support for more than 4 GB of RAM, but that will probably never happen, so you'll always have to choose between using your RAM fully or not being able to run some programs...
mehulved
Fire Boar wrote:
Games and stuff? The video memory is prioritized above the RAM on the system. The gig is just what came with my nVidia 8600M card.

It's not just about supplying more RAM, there's a lot more things required, that is why gamers are advised to go for GPU's. Just supplying RAM isn't going to help much, you will require additional capabilities of a GPU to actually feel the difference.
GPU's are the devices that do the complex computations, that enhance the performance and graphics quality of the game. Additional RAM helps but only upto a certain limit, when you don't have a GPU. And worse, gaming without GPU, you place additional stress of your CPU since it's not optimised to do those complex calculations that your GPU can do.
Fire Boar
mehulved wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

It's not just about supplying more RAM, there's a lot more things required, that is why gamers are advised to go for GPU's. Just supplying RAM isn't going to help much, you will require additional capabilities of a GPU to actually feel the difference.
GPU's are the devices that do the complex computations, that enhance the performance and graphics quality of the game. Additional RAM helps but only upto a certain limit, when you don't have a GPU. And worse, gaming without GPU, you place additional stress of your CPU since it's not optimised to do those complex calculations that your GPU can do.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I am stating the fact that the video memory on-board the GPU is prioritized above the rest of the RAM on the system, so where a 32-bit exceeds the limit (as in my case, with 1 GB of VRAM and 4 GB of RAM) the VRAM is given priority and any excess is lopped off the rest of the RAM.
cvkien
why not?? it will makes your computer fly.
toxictux
you should be able to run 3 GB or RAM without problem.
mOrpheuS
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Just, remember, however, before you decide to go the 64-bit route, that ther are lots of incompatabilities in Win64. It would be nice if Win32 would implement good PAE support, so that 32-bit windows would get support for more than 4 GB of RAM, but that will probably never happen

PAE is already implemented in Windows.
But to be able to use more than 4GB, you need an Enterprise class server version of Windows.

We have many 32-bit Windows 2003 Enterprise server machines running with 16GB RAM at my workplace.

I also use XP 64 at home ... never ran into any incompatibility issue.
davidhawkins123
you will be able to run xp on 3gb of ram and having 3gb will make xp run nice and smooth

you can have up to 4gb of ram i think on a 32bit operating system

if you have a 64bit system you can run upto like 16gb + i think

but xp should work with 3gb of ram just fine Very Happy
aningbo
yeah why not! it will definitely support 3GB.

x86 supports upto 4GB while x64 supports as much RAM as u can effort Wink
Kaseas
32bit systems will only recognize 3gigs. so yes, you will. but to use 4gigs you need 64bit
Nolt
XP will work only with 3.25GB RAM, it will be fine if you have 4GB but 0.75GB RAM will be not used.

Flakky
Ive read somewhere that the maximum on 32 bit systems is 4GB - VRAM. This could also be false but that's what I read.
neji
Flakky wrote:
Ive read somewhere that the maximum on 32 bit systems is 4GB - VRAM. This could also be false but that's what I read.

The probably wanted to say that 4Gb is the limit because a little part of the 4the Gb is used and the rest is useless.

It's still used for a for a small part so it's ehm, 'ok' to install while installing 8Gb of RAM would be useless as hell (the FULL 4Gigs would be useless).
Agent ME
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Just, remember, however, before you decide to go the 64-bit route, that ther are lots of incompatabilities in Win64.

The only incompatabilities with 64-bit are drivers that don't have 64-bit versions - for all other software, you can still use the same 32-bit versions if they don't have 64-bit versions.
Flakky
Agent ME wrote:
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Just, remember, however, before you decide to go the 64-bit route, that ther are lots of incompatabilities in Win64.

The only incompatabilities with 64-bit are drivers that don't have 64-bit versions - for all other software, you can still use the same 32-bit versions if they don't have 64-bit versions.
Drivers for NVIDIA graphics cards probably work for 64-bit, all of them. ATI cards I'm not sure.
blk3
How would you know if you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows XP where does it show? Where can I see it?
Flakky
you can probably find it here: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com
Jamestf347
Definantly! the minimum i believe is below 512mb, so you should have no problem, and it will be rather fast for you.
Kelvin
No problem at all. Depending on your motherboard, XP can take 4GB of RAM unlike Vista which supports to 3GB only. However, with 2GB of RAM for XP, it's probably already good enough... anyhing above that is usaully overkill. But since RAM is so cheap, we can afford the upgrade now adays. Then again, you will be consuming more electric.
Agent ME
Flakky wrote:
Agent ME wrote:
Studio Madcrow wrote:

Drivers for NVIDIA graphics cards probably work for 64-bit, all of them. ATI cards I'm not sure.

Video cards aren't really a problem as those companies seem to be keeping on track with providing updated drivers. The problem is usually a less common piece like a specific model of wireless card or soundboard, but even these seem to be less often a problem as a lot of retailers seem to be moving towards 64-bit operating systems, and using appropriate hardware.
achowles
It depends on the version as to how much it will recognise. But in either case, it will recognise the full 3GB.
32bit XP will recognise 3.25GB, 64bit XP will recognise however much your motherboard can.
umeshtangnu
yes it will recognize 3GB of i have 4 gb and it shows 3.25gb of ram in system properties .
aningbo
i have 3 systems with 3GB RAM in windows XP service pack 2 and it shows 2.75GB available

yes it should support.
yensmythe
some time ago i have setup windows 2003 server with 4 gb of DDR400 ram. i have contacted microsoft support and here is a short answer:

how much ram the system recognize depends of bios version and also motherboard, but with 32bit xp you won't get more than 3.2GB even if you have 4GB in.

only solution is to change xp to 64bit.
tw34kfr34k
It definately should..you can even run vISTA WITH IT