FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

One Monitor or Two

houdney
My new computer that my friend is building for me is almost done. However, the monitor he's providing with it is a bulky CRT. So I'm going to buy a flat screen. Should I buy one medium size screen or two small ones. I've heard that it can be very useful to have two screens because it allows you to have two full screen applications on at once.

What's the general consensus?
Ghost Rider103
I personally prefer two. I actually just bought two monitors for my computer that I just built as well.

Two monitors is definiately the way to go if you can afford it, it is extremely useful.

I don't know about going with two small ones though. You don't want to go too small. 19'' is a pretty decent size to have two. Also I would NOT recommend going with widescreen, as it lowers the quality (which is why widescreens are generally cheaper).

Well hope this helps some, good luck.
psycosquirrel
Widescreens are not lower quality. They're the same exact technology...

They're not cheaper usually either. Quite the contrary, because many are targeted towards gamers. If you are seeing lower quality, you are probably not running in the native resolution of the monitor.

Back on-topic... If you are doing coding or work on it, definitely go for two small LCDs. Two 17" standard LCDs would work great. On the other hand, if you want to play games, go with a single 22" LCD or something similar. Gaming will be much more fun on a larger monitor.
ciureanuc
I also vote for a single wide screen.
Did you think about the calibration, the gamut, the latency, etc... Even they are the same brand, the same series, I think that you know that they are slighty different.
More, the "aging" time for each other... if today they are identical, maybe in 6 months - one year there will be differences...
Think abut that. Smile
jguritza
This might sound like a cop out but I have one large wide screen and a 2nd smaller 17" flat screen. The wide screen is great for games but when working, doing really productive work the extra 17" is invaluable.
Ghost Rider103
I just bought two 19'' monitors. While I was looking, you would see a big price difference between the widescreens. The widescreens were generally $100 cheaper, even when they were about the same size, quality, and response time.

Widescreens will also stretch your picture. Now that is on the default resolution. You could set it to be like a regular screen, but then that reuins the whole point of a widescreen, and you have extra space on the right and left side, so then the widescreen becomes useles. For movies and games, and things like that they are fine. But I do graphic and web design work, and when I work on a widescreen, I can really tell a difference.

You can go look at the price differences yourself. www.tigerdirect.com
Pepperfan
Go for the single larger monitor and then later add a second one!

The wide screen won't distort your picture as long as your video card supports wide screen resolutions.

Also a regular 19 inch monitor has more screen than the wide 19 so that is the price difference.

Charles
ocalhoun
Its simple really; it depends on what you want to do:
Games: one large monitor.
Anything else: Dual monitors.
ninjakannon
Like ocalhoun I would say that it depends on what you want to do; you have to decide which option is most suitable, baring in mind that you could buy one for now and get another later (as has been suggested).

Personally, I like both larger screens and the luxury of multiple screens. At home I have a 19" and a 17" - this set-up works fine, both are large enough and as there are two I get the extra flexibility the comes with this. I would prefer two 19" monitors, but that costs money that I'm not willing to spend, it's not a necessity.

Hope that helps. Wink
bonestorm74
I prefer one. I don't really like the fact there's a gap between the two if you use them in conjunction. I currently only have a 19 inch monitor, I'd prefer to go up to something around a 24 inch but that costs money of course. Wink

Each to their own but that's my preference.
standready
How about a 42 inch wide screen monitor. LOL but Seriously the largest wide screen you can afford. You can always hook up the CRT as a second monitor.
pashmina
i recommend you with 17 or 19" Samsung monitors, as it is cheap and also the best in the market.
as for the double screen, make sure the new lcd monitor has DVI port, which connects with your PCI Graphics card.
Donutey
For games or movies 22" is the sweet spot (widescreen of course).
For coding or graphic design, I could see the advantages of say, two 19" monitors. (widescreen or non-widescreen)
Fatality
It all depends on what you're doing with most of your computer time.
For movies and games I'd go with 1 larger wide screen;
For stuff that you use either multiple windows or multiple applications I'd go with 2 smaller wide screens.
Though to be honest, I actually prefer two 19" monitors over anything else for almost everything I do on my computer
ankitdatashn
It really depends on your requirements friend. If you are a developer or a person who needs to work on a lot of project or lot of windows open at once then you should go for two monitors, but if you are a normal users just opening to a max of approximately 8-9 windows I would suggest you to go for just one screen, just maybe a wide screen to hold and show that extra information.

Two screens may be advantageuos but they also increase the clutter on the desk space. I would always suggest single monitor for a normal person.

I am a computer engineer and sometimes feel the need to two monitors, infact am thinking to attach two monitors to my cpu but dont have much idea how to go about it, anyways lets wait and watch if I get any method out...
friuser
I personally perfer 4. Than you have a good 140 degree angle of complete viewing which I have. 3 of them in portraint mode and one in full screen. However I'm thinking of 2 28" lcd to replace my corrent configuration. Now that would be awesome.
Melindor
Well I bought a laptop as a replacement of my old PC who was becoming an antique. I Used the screen from my old PC to have 2 monitors on my laptop and now I can't imagine life without it.

dual monitors is incredibly usefull. I play EVE online with 2 accounts and can run both on a different screen. Other games who need maps or even ventrilo or TS can be played much easier aswell since you can surd and use TS on second screen. And for work you can type in text documents on screen 1 while surfing for info on screen 2.

Screens aren't that expensive anymore so by all means, go for 2 Very Happy
goutha
I'm using my laptop and I prefer one monitor.

For a desktop computer, maybe that 2 monitors are more confortable.
TheOnionRack
I have a 19" Samsung 720p TV which I have my desktop hooked up to, but if I have my laptop hooked up, I always set up the screen as an extended monitor. It is just so useful having all that extra screen space. But I suppose it depends on what you are using. I would check which option gives you the most pixels per $. Why spend lots of money on a single-display setup when you could get way more screen real estate for a similar price. You might also have to think about a beefier gfx card if your computer isn't powerful enough for multiple displays.
erlendhg
You should consider what the main purpose with your computer will be - what you are actually going to work with.

For project-like work like photo/video editing, software developing and such, I would have chosen two monitors, since you get a wider desktop etc.

And, like someone already has said, if you are more into gaming, it can be better with just one big screen.

Anyways it sounds like a good idea to upgrade from the CRT. It is better for your eyes to look at a LCD!
Futile
IMO --- Two monitors is a must in my book especially with a desktop and a good graphic card. It is very addicted though once you get use to using two displays whether at work or home it is hard to go back to using or having just one. That is my two cents.

I use three monitors in rotation. I have an Acer 22 full and 2 Acer 19 monitors. I use the 22 and a single 19 for gaming and a for both 19s for designing and work projects. As several people have already said it really depends on what you will be using them for. But as for me two displays is the way to go.
SHARPBALL
I use two screens
why?

As a draftsman i draw the whole time en use 2 diferent drawing application.
So its mutch easier to swith from on aplication to the other.
I'm using this methode af drawing a few years and now with low price of lcd screens it afortable.

My advice if you use allot af diferent aplications or just one buy a second one.

How larger the res. the more you can fit.
Zombie
I'm using two 17" lcds right now. I seriously can't function with only one monitor, I feel restricted. You should definitely go for two!
TheOnionRack
One thing to note about a dual monitor setup, is to make sure that both screens are the same height in terms of centimetres, and that they have resolution settings to be the same number of pixels high. Otherwise, you get the problem I have with a really big screen and then a tiny one next to it. It just looks and feels awkward to use.

Anybody know any good apps for multiple displays, like fixing maximise issues and stuff.
PatTheGreat42
I can have two with my setup, but I prefer one, mostly because I can't really imagine that I'd actually wind up more productive with two, but also for the desk space. Yay desk space.
ankitdatashn
friuser wrote:
I personally perfer 4. Than you have a good 140 degree angle of complete viewing which I have. 3 of them in portraint mode and one in full screen. However I'm thinking of 2 28" lcd to replace my corrent configuration. Now that would be awesome.

Whoa man 4 monitor!!, half of the monitors in the market seem to be taken by you, I have seen 4 monitors or so uptill now used only by share operators or news agencies. But 4 is anyway a very high number. I guess you must be high on RAM, If I attach it to my 196MB Desktop it would be hardly of any use!

BTW what type of monitors have you used, LCD or CRT? coz to use 4 LCD might be very expensive
snowynight
I don't know for sure why I have to have 2 screens. i have 3 computers. And if i want to watch a video, I think it best to have a wide screen tv and hi-fi.
IceCreamTruck
houdney wrote:
My new computer that my friend is building for me is almost done. However, the monitor he's providing with it is a bulky CRT. So I'm going to buy a flat screen. Should I buy one medium size screen or two small ones. I've heard that it can be very useful to have two screens because it allows you to have two full screen applications on at once.

1. Here's my plan...buy a really big nice monitor with good response time (you want less than 5 milli-seconds) and high contrast ratio (anything over 1000/1 is nice).

2. Buy a video card that will support 4 monitors

3. Then save your money and go buy another monitor just like the first widescreen when you get the chance. It will probably be cheaper at this point because a little time has past...just make sure you can still find a match (it's not important that they match unless you are anal like me).

3. Repeat step 3 up to 2 more times

Two monitors isn't really for running two full screen applications at once, but for being able to work faster because you don't have to switch programs as much...you can just set up your programs so that you save a lot of switching time in the long run.
If the program you want is not behind another program that is running then this save A LOT of time in the long run because you don't have to minimize one, and then switch to the other.

Some software doesn't like multi-monitors very much...like gaming software. Most of the time it redefines the viewable window on your computer for the sake of the game settings, and it will cause all of your "other" monitors to go black while the main screen is in a "full-screen" game.

Good luck...I hope this helps. I just wanted to say that you should get the nicest monitor you can...and then buy another one when you get the chance. Unless you need two monitors today.
Alaskacameradude
It depends on what you are doing. The only time I have really needed two screens is
when doing video editing or working in Photoshop. When doing video editing it can be nice
to have the timeline on one monitor and the output on another or something like that, you
really can't have too much monitor space when editing video. But for normal stuff, I'd say
two monitors is way overkill.
snowboardalliance
bonestorm74 wrote:
I prefer one. I don't really like the fact there's a gap between the two if you use them in conjunction. I currently only have a 19 inch monitor, I'd prefer to go up to something around a 24 inch but that costs money of course. Wink

Each to their own but that's my preference.

I don't mind it because the second can just be a single window. I've used my old 19" LCD with my 17" wide laptop and it's GREAT for video editing. But if you do use it as if the screen is just expanded, you might be annoyed by the gap. Just using the extra monitor for extra windows is the perfect tool for design (graphic, video, hell even music), programming, etc.
thadnation
if the choice is betwwen one big or two smaller, get one. you will end up with more screen space, and you won't have the hassle of calibrating multiple monitors. Personally I'm stick stuck in the past: I use cheap CRT monitors.
ConquerSockets
Hey

I would personally say that one monitor would be the best, because first of all, its more relaxing to eyes and if you got a way too much big screen, it will start to hurt your eyes after a while and you won't be too cumfortable and get red eyes even if its a good quality monitors u have there...

Well to continue, if you play games, it will disturb you, because there are little gaps between monitors so you cannot see well the details it would be maybe good for movies, but its already better invest in a huge plasma or something like that Screen HD, for a better image quality...

And well, Just buy a big monitor about 22 po or 24 it would be more than enough... you can already see much more with it than other screens and its really cumfortable to watch movies (I have a 22 po at home and its awesome...) HP screen...

Well, good luck with your choices, hope you find something you like!!

Peace.
Guelila
I have never tried using two monitors at the same time...
Wouldnt the two monitors show the exact same screen? and if so.. Whats the point of it? Confused
erlendhg
Futile wrote:
IMO --- Two monitors is a must in my book especially with a desktop and a good graphic card. It is very addicted though once you get use to using two displays whether at work or home it is hard to go back to using or having just one. That is my two cents.

I use three monitors in rotation. I have an Acer 22 full and 2 Acer 19 monitors. I use the 22 and a single 19 for gaming and a for both 19s for designing and work projects. As several people have already said it really depends on what you will be using them for. But as for me two displays is the way to go.

Of course, if you have to LARGE screens, that is of course better than just one ;P
...and three big monitors is insane. Whish I had.
Gonzalo
For software editing or a better gaming experience, go with 2 monitors. For using office tools and msn housewifelike, one will do.
bigt
houdney wrote:

I would go for one large monitor first, but go for two screens if you have the money. Check several reviews. I enjoyed reading previous reader's comments.
ocalhoun
Guelila wrote:
I have never tried using two monitors at the same time...
Wouldnt the two monitors show the exact same screen? and if so.. Whats the point of it? Confused

If you set them up to show the same thing, there is little point. It gets good though: if you do it right, you can stretch one 'screen' across two or more monitors. That way, you can do some things that are very helpful for productivity...
Some of the things I do that way:
-Reference on one screen while programming on the other
-Browser open on one page, testing the html page I'm writing on the other
-Image window nice and big on one screen, while all the toolboxes are on the other
-For complicated file transfers over a network: local computer on one screen, remote computer on the other
-Virtual PC running windows on one screen, linux on the other
dalibor
I think one is better!I have Samsung 22''inch and it is very good!
Radar
I would choose two medium sized ones - the ability to have two things showing at once would be nice.

I've never seriously used two screens, and the few times that I've been at a computer with a dual display, I can't say that I've taken much advantage of it - but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to try and take advantage of it.
soljarag
once you try 2 monitors you'll never want to go back...

in 2002 I had a 19" crt and a 17"crt.... then I got a 20" lcd and used the 19" crt.... and now I have a 24"lcd and dual with the 20" lcd.... whenever I'm on my laptop I miss not being able to drag windows over to the side.

If you use Photoshop or illustrator then 2 monitors is an absolute MUST, you can have the navigation window and all your toolbars and pallets on one window, then have what your working on, on the other monitor