FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tiger x86 set up and runing

ulmas
Yeap, this happened today. Finally installed and got in working. Works excellent. Thanks to Install on a Partition, Simple and Accurate
leodv
Looks great, always wanted to try out Mac, but does not have the money to buy 1 just for testing. Great link, Thanks
orno
nice...now to find that ever elusive tiger DVD Wink
DimAce
I have tried, it was pleasant to me!
However, the keyboard did not work...
ulmas
orno wrote:
nice...now to find that ever elusive tiger DVD

I would share the link..but you know the rules! Search for it on p2p networks. You can even find one on ftp if you do a good google search and look through the forums. BTW, it's not a dvd, but a disk image

DimAce wrote:
I have tried, it was pleasant to me!
However, the keyboard did not work...

Everything worked perfect for me. I read that only a USB keyboard will go, but my PS/2 worked just fine with no probs! Now only need to have Rosetta enabled to run most applications Smile
rvs
ok, so you have it running... then what? there are almost none universal binaries, so you have to run all your third party programs through rosetta.. Thats not the best mac experience you can get. Just go to an apple store to try it out, or wait for the final OSX-x86 (probably OSX 10.5 leopard) and at that time the programs you want to run are already made for intel based macs and wil run much faster and stable.. believe me.
ulmas
rvs wrote:
ok, so you have it running... then what? there are almost none universal binaries, so you have to run all your third party programs through rosetta.. Thats not the best mac experience you can get. Just go to an apple store to try it out, or wait for the final OSX-x86 (probably OSX 10.5 leopard) and at that time the programs you want to run are already made for intel based macs and wil run much faster and stable.. believe me.

Go to Apple store? If I was of those guys who go to *store* I would not be working on a pc compiled by *myself* and with not_really_that_much_licensed_os (you know which one. no, it's not Max OS *Ten*), but instead moved to a mac *ages* ago. Now I have mac on my PC, with dual boot to either xp or osx, and I am pretty happy to have this experience of working on *Mac* on my *PC*. About applications, I have firefox running on my *Mac*, i have Pixadex, I have Adium, and others, and that's just enaugh for now for me.

I know that what I have now is not really a *Mac* I would wished to work on, there is no any hardware with that mistic apple sign on it, which really makes mac a mac. But this is even better then I expected, because I have a mac runnig on my not_really_ordinary PC, the mac that I set up working myself..

I hope you understand me.. well, I do not really.
orno
ulmas wrote:
I would share the link..but you know the rules! Search for it on p2p networks. You can even find one on ftp if you do a good google search and look through the forums. BTW, it's not a dvd, but a disk image

d'oh! i meant DVD, not image....

nevermind.. Rolling Eyes
Kd527
cool. I use Tiger on a real Mac and I'm never going back. But this is cool to play with. Smile
Donutey
aack... idk i've never liked mac os x, i took a programming class that used macs, it isnt the most stable operating system, especially since macs have almost no third party software... though i will admit that the whole function/design is pretty good...
if apple was smart they would release osx for ANY x86 pc...(legally mind you) with a windows to OSX migration feature, lots of people would buy it merely on buzz, then apple could have enough capital to sort out several of the oddities it has.