FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Deeper discussion on Lord of the Rings

David_Pardy
Hey all,

I wanted to try and start a discussion on LOTR.

Not just talking about the obvious things about the story itself, but I want to try and delve more into the history and the background of Tolkien's works. I say works, because there is so much more behind Middle Earth than is outlined in The Hobbit and LOTR.

What other of his books has everyone read? I've read the Silmarillion and I have a bunch of his other books (I think two of the Tom Bombadil focused ones) but I haven't read them yet. I'm currently reading LOTR itself for about the 5th time.

I REALLY enjoy the story. I know it's long and some people find it difficult to read, but I enjoy the pace and it helps me to feel more like I'm right there watching everything happen.

What about Tolkien's languages? I once looked into trying to learn Elvish but it seemed to difficult to actually find any useful information on it. Have any of you guys taken things to the next level and actually put the work in?
gcaughill
David_Pardy wrote:
Hey all,

I wanted to try and start a discussion on LOTR.

Not just talking about the obvious things about the story itself, but I want to try and delve more into the history and the background of Tolkien's works. I say works, because there is so much more behind Middle Earth than is outlined in The Hobbit and LOTR.

What other of his books has everyone read? I've read the Silmarillion and I have a bunch of his other books (I think two of the Tom Bombadil focused ones) but I haven't read them yet. I'm currently reading LOTR itself for about the 5th time.

I REALLY enjoy the story. I know it's long and some people find it difficult to read, but I enjoy the pace and it helps me to feel more like I'm right there watching everything happen.

What about Tolkien's languages? I once looked into trying to learn Elvish but it seemed to difficult to actually find any useful information on it. Have any of you guys taken things to the next level and actually put the work in?

That is quite the broad discussion. You might want to narrow it a bit to give people something specific to talk about.

ie. Plot and theme of the main trilogy, characters you liked in the Hobbit, rare Tolkein works etc.

I hope that helps. I am a huge Tolkein fan, his works have a depth that most modern copycats do not have.
Xanatos
I had a hard time getting into the silmarillion. It was mostly a bunch of random names and historical dates thrown at you. Not that it wasn't interesting to know where a lot of the people/places came from, but it was just so incredibly boring.
tchaunt
I really love Tolkein's works. I read my first book of his (or attempted to read) in 3rd grade. It took me 2 months to read the Hobbit. Even then, I loved the amazing detail in the story and how vivid the scenes were. It was like you were there.

Sort of off topic:
What makes me sick is how the author of the Eragon series stole from LOTR and Beowulf (and a few other small stories) and threw them together to get his story. He hardly did any of the work. It makes me sick that he is so popular for stealing others' works.
Nutteloos
Xanatos wrote:
I had a hard time getting into the silmarillion. It was mostly a bunch of random names and historical dates thrown at you. Not that it wasn't interesting to know where a lot of the people/places came from, but it was just so incredibly boring.

I felt the same, really. The lack of a red line between the many, many separate stories made it hard to get into. Plus, you needed a separate sheet of paper to keep track of the characters.
blk3
I've never read any of his books, only watched the LOTR trilogy. I never really had the time to sit down and read.
David_Pardy
Hey Greg,

The reason I brought up this topic was to allow people the scope to bring up their own ideas to discuss. To allow people to express what thoughts they've had which may be a simple departure from my own mindset Smile.
Tuvitor
I really loved the Silmarillion. Now I haven't read it for over a decade, it was for a while my favorite book by Tolkien. Books that show the depth of thought that has gone into the world that Tolkien created are a great inspiration to my own works.