FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

To recognise Emo bands

nTonio
Hi All!
The question is which bands are Emo (or they play emo music) and which are not. It isn’t so simple since I had some arguments with my friend. In my opinion there is very slightly difference between punk, alternative rock and the kind of music named Emo. But there’s one more thread in it, how to tell apart the bands that are Emo´s and those witch are actually heard by those people.
mikakiev
Is Tokyo Hotel emo band?Many emo like it and some say it is only a pop not a true emo music.Idont know
JoshuAAR
I think about this quite alot as well. I mainly listen to pop punk and i hate it when my friends call it emo. Bands like blink 182 (old and new) & The All-American Rejects. They are just so pop and mainly happy (of course there are some sad songs and emotional lyrics, almost every band in the world has a mix of these).

For me you have The Used and My Chemical Romance who i guess are 'Mainstream Emo', i've always thought of 'real' emo to be more of an underground grungier type of music thats really darkly emotional. Now of course you have the whole look and feel of the emo kids, which has spread like wild fire all over the globe and mixed the genre into almost everything around.
endless
tokio hotel isn't emo, and my chemical romance isn't emo too
it's just that these stupid bands f**ked the meaning of emo up =/
real emo bands don't exist anymore it's only pop-punk whining about emotions =/

some emo bands (imo):
rites of spring,
saetia
and maybe even circle takes the square
catscratches
endless wrote:
The bands didn't, their listeners did. Eg. My Chemical Romance have said themselves that they aren't emo and that they actually think emo is crap.
endless
catscratches wrote:
endless wrote:
The bands didn't, their listeners did. Eg. My Chemical Romance have said themselves that they aren't emo and that they actually think emo is crap.

but if these bands didn't exist, that wouldn't have happened, so i think it's the fault of the band =/
catscratches
endless wrote:
catscratches wrote:
endless wrote:

but if these bands didn't exist, that wouldn't have happened, so i think it's the fault of the band =/
I do not agree. They can only be held responsible for their own actions/music/words, not how their fans interpret them.
liljp617
There are no emo bands today (at least no well known ones). It's an "insulting" label placed on crappy bands by people who don't like that specific band. Emo went out quite a while back.
snowboardalliance
Yeah the only emo band I've heard of is Rites of Spring, it's an old genre that has been incorrectly redefined
endless
liljp617 wrote:
There are no emo bands today (at least no well known ones). It's an "insulting" label placed on crappy bands by people who don't like that specific band. Emo went out quite a while back.

i know there is no emo anymore, but saetia and circle takes the square come quite close Very Happy

most people call stupid pop-music whining about slitting wrists emo Confused , i hate stereotypers Razz
mikakiev
endless wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

i know there is no emo anymore, but saetia and circle takes the square come quite close Very Happy

most people call stupid pop-music whining about slitting wrists emo Confused , i hate stereotypers Razz

SOo,the emo style is ahistory now,the emo is not popular anymore?Does it mean that only true emo left for who emo-life is the only way of existence?
shindig
Arh, its like linguistic knives in my musical ears.

Emo is an abbreviation of Emotive Hardcore: aka Rites of Spring.

And anyone who maintains there's little difference between hardcore, the current definition of emo, punk and general alternative rock haven't listened to enough music.

Pull out some Biohazard, then some Hatebreed, and then transition into some Indian Summer and you'll see how the former didnt accept the latter and "emo" became a derogative term.

Then pull out some Dead Kennedys, then some anti-flag, some bikini kill and stiff little fingers... bop into some Dropkick Murphys... and even after a dash of NOFX try and tell me it's the same on the ears as Bowling for Soup and Fallout Boy. Or that they're like MCR?

And what do you even mean by "alternative rock"... Indie? Grunge? Straight Edge? Nirvana? Mars Volta? Pixies? Violent Femmes?

Rah, rah, rah. The world would be a better place if we picked our taste by listening than by labels, anyway.
guissmo
Emo is such a subjective word. Somewhat like beautiful.

Sometimes, emo might be used to describe as someone who is depressed, but not necessarily being suicidal. In that case it is used as "sentimental". Sometimes it's used for the fashion-type. And it's not really clear where the lines are as to which is emo fashion and not.

Similarly, this applies to emo songs. You can't really pinpoint which is emo and not. Smile
Libby
Does the record company/the fans/the band itself call them emo? They're emo.

Simple as that.

Whether they're GOOD emo... That's something you have to decide youself.
pll
JoshuAAR wrote:
I think about this quite alot as well. I mainly listen to pop punk and i hate it when my friends call it emo. Bands like blink 182 (old and new) & The All-American Rejects. They are just so pop and mainly happy (of course there are some sad songs and emotional lyrics, almost every band in the world has a mix of these).

For me you have The Used and My Chemical Romance who i guess are 'Mainstream Emo', i've always thought of 'real' emo to be more of an underground grungier type of music thats really darkly emotional. Now of course you have the whole look and feel of the emo kids, which has spread like wild fire all over the globe and mixed the genre into almost everything around.

Agreed...
One day a friend of mine said I was listening Emo, it was a disturbed song (down with the sickness). It's no emo, I'd rather say it's metal or hard rock but emo ? NEVER !
daefommicc
emos* r defined as a bunch of losers who make an album every single time some metalheads thrash them... n dey have songs like "why?!?!?" they try to behave punk for some reasons... have a peircing at their cheeks or whatever. all they do is cry over their lost girlfrnds n make revolting against teachers and pimples on their face as a huge angry man movement.

*taken from the extreme metal ensyklopædia. \m/
lavitran
Is Tokyo Hotel emo band?Many emo like it and some say it is only a pop not a true emo music.Idont know
SEPTEMBERACiD
The Used is not a emo band the Used is a band that tells the truth in their lyrics and doesnt write just to please people.
If your going to say a band is emo by the lyrics they write then you can say The Rolling Stones is emo they wrote this...
If I could stick a knife in my heart
Suicide right on stage
Would it be enough for your teenage lust
Would it help to ease the pain?

If you think thats not emo then The Used isnt emo either okay
achowles
You've got to look at the history of emotive hardcore which dates back to the 80s. It's completely different to anything being labelled emo today. Not in the same way that rock or metal is a bit different today, but I mean it's fundamentally not the same thing at all.

Most of what people call emo now is labelled punk emo. So again, if you look to the 80s you'll see that what's being called punk now... isn't. So it's not really punk, not really emo. Subsequently you've got something that's difficult to define and far more reliant on the band's image than the actual music.

That's resulted in people labelling a lot of bands emo when they've got absolutely no connection to emo or any desire to change that. It's all a bit of a mess really. But it's far more about the image than anything.