FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How big is the earth,well not very.....

truespeed
How big is the earth,well not very.....nor is our sun for that matter.

prithvi
Wow! Thanks for sharing that info

Wasn't aware that the Sun can be belittled like this Laughing
_AVG_
Yes. That's true. The earth is like a tiny tiny speck or a dot ... it's too small (you could even call it negligable) in the Universe.

Imagine if the earth is so small, what about us? We are insignificant in something that is so insignificant? Am I getting too pessimistic here ... ? Exclamation
DjMilez
I believe I saw an image on 4chan about something like that. I have no life.
miacps
Wow! I always knew Betelgeuse was big, but that VV Cephei is enormous! Shocked

It's going to be one hell of a show when it finally supernovas.
Gagnar The Unruly
Here's another comparison:

nilsmo
_AVG_ wrote:
Yes. That's true. The earth is like a tiny tiny speck or a dot ... it's too small (you could even call it negligable) in the Universe.

And so is that "huge" VV Cephei A star.
tchaunt
Have you ever thought about it this way:
VV Cephei A is just a speck in the universe. Our sun is a speck compared to VV Cephei A. The planet Earth is a speck compared to the sun. And on the microscopic speck we call Earth, is humans. We are just a speck on a speck by a speck dwarfed by a speck in the universe. We put ourselves on such a high throne, and yet we are virtually worthless. And we are so selfish and arrogant that we think, out of the infinite number of planets out there, Earth is the only one that can support life.
Xanatos
tchaunt wrote:
VV Cephei A is just a speck in the universe. Our sun is a speck compared to VV Cephei A. The planet Earth is a speck compared to the sun. And on the microscopic speck we call Earth, is humans. We are just a speck on a speck by a speck dwarfed by a speck in the universe. We put ourselves on such a high throne, and yet we are virtually worthless. And we are so selfish and arrogant that we think, out of the infinite number of planets out there, Earth is the only one that can support life.

And what makes you think Earth is the only planet that can support life? We have only just begun to discover extra-solar planets. The chance that we will discover a life supporting planet grows everyday.
michaeljscott93
Interesting take on it! Very Happy
andersonic
VY Canis Majoris is even bigger. The largest known star, so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sun_and_VY_Canis_Majoris.svg

Maybe there is something out there to make this also look like a speck.. Surprised
Xrave
that's a big star... I wonder if there's a googel (meaning 1 followed by 100 zero's) atoms in VY Canis Majoris
Unknowntoaster
Thats insane! I never heard of any of those past the sun. Where is that giant VV Cephei located anyway?
{name here}
Obligatory picture of Pale Blue Dot:

This picture was taken from Saturn by Voyager 1, I believe. I don't think Earth is quite visible in this version due to its low resultion. I haven't seen this picture in a while, so I might be wrong. There's a beatiful book by Carl Sagan discussing this picture. Here is a video which takes one of the most powerful quotes from the novel.
pho3nixsky
Lol i learnt this in year 4 Razz
deanhills
Saturn and Jupiter are truly beautiful planets. The rings are really something of art. Some beautiful photos from NASA of Saturn and Jupiter http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/photo_gallery/ :

Saturn

Jupiter

Amazing how all of those planets are interacting with one another, even when we are a mere speck of something on earth. How even our moods can be affected by the position of the planets Smile I don't know exactly how it works, but apparently their positioning has something to do with ebb and flow of the tides, and of course humans are made up mostly of water, so probably on a subtle level the moon can have an affect on us.
imera
Most of those names on those planets are unknown for me Razz guess I'm not so interested in names, but this post is great, the earth is so small, wonder how many people we could fit on another planet, then our current number wouldn't mater so much. Great pictures, love the pretty planets.
tchaunt
Xanatos wrote:
And what makes you think Earth is the only planet that can support life? We have only just begun to discover extra-solar planets. The chance that we will discover a life supporting planet grows everyday.

Sorry about taking so long to reply. I had no idea that you posted.
Anyway, you read the post wrong.
I put:
"And we are so selfish and arrogant that we think, out of the infinite number of planets out there, Earth is the only one that can support life."

If you change the sentence, it would be:
"And we are so selfish and arrogant that we think Earth is the only one that can support life."

What I'm saying is that I think there are other planets that have at least some sort of life. I believe there are at least a "hand full" of planets with advanced, multicellular organisms. That's just my opinion though.
ocalhoun
tchaunt wrote:

What I'm saying is that I think there are other planets that have at least some sort of life. I believe there are at least a "hand full" of planets with advanced, multicellular organisms. That's just my opinion though.

The simple answer is that it is impossible for us to know with the information we have now. There is an equation that will tell us, statistically, how many of those planets there should be, but there are several variables in that equation that we don't have any idea about the real value of.
l4nd3r05
Quxx
Haha, that's a very interesting picture, had no idea sun was that small Shocked
bjornhoogeveen
I know the earth was not a big planet, but I didn't knew it was this tiny! They say it doesn't end anywhere.. It is still difficult for me to understand that! In my head it must stop somewhere... Anyway; nice pictures!
iman
i love this pic. But I think we humans are in the middle, because if you think about it, the subatomic particles are still very very small.
ocalhoun
iman wrote:
i love this pic. But I think we humans are in the middle, because if you think about it, the subatomic particles are still very very small.

But even the largest of those stars is just an insignificant speck in the vastness of space...