FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Unable to Access websites in Ubuntu 8.04

abhishek_2410
I m running ubuntu 8.04 on a compaq laptop with intel core 2 duo 1.66 ghz,intel 965 chipset,and 1 gb ram.I also have windows vista basic on another parttion.my problem is that i m not anle to access any websites throgh browser even after connecting to the internet either through wireless or mobile gprs connection.though it shows that i m connected..even the chat clients like pidgin do not work.though everything runs fine in vista so i guess nothing is wrong with my hardware such as wireless card.I m a bit new to linux so not very much familiar with the terminal commands.what shud i do ?
RiCtee
Most likely you're not connected to the wireless network. Type ifconfig in the terminal to see a list of your network devices. You should have one for ethernet (eth) and wireless (wlan), assuming it is seen by Ubuntu. If you're really connected you should see your IP address and your router's IP address. Another command you can use is iwconfig. It lists specific wireless information (such as the SSID, channel, etc).

If it still doesn't work, you might need to find a driver. Assuming Ubuntu doesn't have built in support for your wireless card, I know ndiswrapper works very well for many types of wireless cards. Basically you can use your Windows drivers on Ubuntu. Please state your wireless card manufacturer and name if all else fails. Very Happy