FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

NotePad Replacements

Phil
Just wondering what NotePad Replacement programs you use. The only one I've really tried is MetaPad, which I don't have any problems with. I see there are many out there, so, what else is being used?
CrimsonStrange
Yeah, MetaPad's great, huh? I dunno what I'd do without that thing.

Well, here are a couple of really good shareware/freeware sites that might have something for ya. Smile

SnapFiles.com

NoNags.com

I've gotten tons of great programs from both of those sites.

Best of luck! Wink
foggy
I've always used notepad2. It might not be the very best, but it's pretty good compared to the other few that I have tried. It's small and fast, has syntax highlighting for many coding languages, plus it's open source.

http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html
onur
Notepad++
n0obie4life
Crimson Editor.

Development may have seemed to stopped doh..
orno
PSPad

freeware and awesome... Cool
DimAce
I use EmEditor. It's GREAT thing!
kv
UltraEdit!! Has hell lot of features including direct edit and save from and to ftp server and project management. But you have to pay.
S3nd K3ys
kv wrote:
UltraEdit!! Has hell lot of features including direct edit and save from and to ftp server and project management. But you have to pay.

Last I heard it was like $35.00 USD. Well worth the money, IMNSHO.

Tons of features for everything from HEX to FTP to user definable tools to command line options to user customizable syntax highlighting to very powerful macros to very powerful search features.

It r0x0rs meh b0x0rs... Cool
orno
as far as i know, PSPad does all of the above too, AND its free Smile

not that UltraEdit isnt awesome, i just cant afford it Wink
Jamatu
I coded my own notepad program in C++. It has less features, Is that even possible O.o? But all it needs to do is store notes so it's all good
S3nd K3ys
orno wrote:

Very cool looking. I will d/l it and check it out. Thanks!
n0obie4life
orno wrote:

orno, screenies!
Summer
Notepad ++ . Nice programs with 20+ language display options .
orno
Screenies of PSPad here: http://www.pspad.com/en/screenshot.htm
kuad
ConTEXT

http://www.context.cx/

Screens: http://context.cx/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,52/
ashok
Editplus 2

Smile opens everything

has lots of features including syntax highlighting and direct ftp etc..
alwi_frih
kuad wrote:
ConTEXT

http://www.context.cx/

Screens: http://context.cx/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,52/

I also have great experience using ConTEXT. Its light-weight and had lots of features. It also already comes with predefinded scripting/programming language with syntax highlighting. You can also creat your own language definition.

One trick I'd share for ConTEXT users. If file drag-to-open doesnt work, click file-open menu (or icon) and then do the drag-to-open.

Good Luck Wink

ALWI
n0obie4life
orno wrote:
Screenies of PSPad here: http://www.pspad.com/en/screenshot.htm

Is there syntax hi-lighting? If yes, what syntaxes?

Small / Pawn (I'm more interested in that only)
gaudi
Notepad++ 3.9

very good for programming
Cov3r70ps
n0obie4life wrote:
Crimson Editor.

Development may have seemed to stopped doh..

This is the best oen out there in my opinion. Even if development has stopped, it has nice features.
Kd527
I really like EditPlus although it's not free.
jwellsy
I use notetab light, it's free.
jwellsy
Philip
i use ultraedit for programming java Smile
swizzy
I really liked NoteMasterPro it rocked, it was a home production and was not available on the net. it rocked
redice
I use ultraEdit, gvim (windows version) and emacs (windows version).

Gvim is the best.
Philip
had ever someone here using

Quote:
copy con filename

or
Quote:

edit.exe filename

?
it;s a old editor i think, but it still the best since this editor have on all Microsoft OS. Smile
jwellsy
macropodas
EmEditor here, too...
very customizable, code highlighting, great support for different encodings... not free though...

before that, i used Crimson Editor... free, with some nice enhancements, like linear calculation... very poor encoding support though, which is just essential for me, since my language is kinda complicated...
WickedGravity
I have always been a huge fan of Notepad2. it is an easy to use, easy to customize app that comes with multi-programming language syntax highlighting, addon capability if you know a little language. Awesome product.
magneto_ms
Just checked PSpad out..! It rocks!
romaop
When sawing some PHP video tutorials, I noticed that the instructor used EditPadLite to write the programs. So i checked it out and was really amazed.

For instance:
It can open more than 100 files simultaneously and find and replace text at once. Preety cool in correcting or erasing unnecessary web content.
The undo feature works with this program.
There are lots of other features.
And this is all for free.

So check this site:
http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html
DreadKnight
I agree with the person that mentioned notepad++

It is the programmer's swish knife. It supports every major programming language and has many good features, especially for html. It automatically tells you which tags are left open and where you're making a mistake. Best of all its small and uses virtually no resources (well a little bit), so u can freely use it in your flash drive. I totally recommend it.
{name here}
Even though it is devoid of any of the features anyone has mentioned, The Gun is probably one of the best text editors. It is the absolute minimum size for a GUI text editor - 16 KB or so. It's great for quick editing.

MASM32 editor is a little better. I only use it because it has a hex editing feature and the ability to save hex into binary. It is also nice and light.
webgeek
I use PsPad. I think that it is very functional, especially when I work with webpages.
pozzler
Here are some advantages of N++:

1. Syntax highlightning
2. Tabs like in FF 2.0
3. Great for displaying XML, HTML and source files in various formats
4. Easy to install
5. Integrates easily with shell
6. Free!
7. Did I mention free?

Cheers

Wojtek

PS. The project homepage is at: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/about.php
Psycho_X52
Crimson editor.
Syntax highlightning, text recording (sounds funny, but it is true), it is tabbed....and so on.
makak
Notepad++ is realy great NotePad replacement, that under subscribe it write pozzler Smile
THE11thROCK™
EvolveD is my notepad of choice. Works great, no hassles. Been using this for a year now. And it's totally free.
nondormo
I found this text editor called RJ TextEdit at snap files. It looks good. It did not get the full rating at snap files though. Perhaps it is because when one is editing a large file, it begins to act crazy.

By the way, the RJ stands for Rickard Johansson, the author of the software.

As for NotePad replacements, I am beginning to like XEmacs for Windows. Tough to learn at first but quite good when you get the hang of it.
sceptileex
from what i know some of the more prominent notepad replacements would be notepad++ and editpadlite. I personally use notepad++ tho. Works right for me.
Aimewitue
agreed with people said notepad++
pozzler
For those working on Windows with Notepad++ - there is a better (free) tool from Microsoft: XMLNotepad 2007.
It can be downloaded from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=72d6aa49-787d-4118-ba5f-4f30fe913628&DisplayLang=en

and provides much better support for XML file handling (and XML files only).
List of features:

Quote:

Tree View synchronized with Node Text View for quick editing of node names and values.
Incremental search (Ctrl+I) in both tree and text views, so as you type it navigates to matching nodes.
Cut/copy/paste with full namespace support.
Drag/drop support for easy manipulation of the tree, even across different instances of XML Notepad and from the file system.
Infinite undo/redo for all edit operations.
In place popup multi-line editing of large text node values.
Configurable fonts and colors via the options dialog.
Full find/replace dialog with support for regex and XPath.
Good performance on large XML documents, loading a 3mb document in about one second.
Instant XML schema validation while you edit with errors and warnings shown in the task list window.
Intellisense based on expected elements and attributes and enumerated simple type values.
Support for custom editors for date, dateTime and time datatypes and other types like color.
Handy nudge tool bar buttons for quick movement of nodes up and down the tree.
Inplace HTML viewer for processing xml-stylesheet processing instructions.
Built-in XML Diff tool.
New features included in this version:

Added keyboard accelerators for find again (F3) and reverse find (SHIFT+F3).
Added support for loading IXmlBuilder and IXmlEditor implementations from different assemblies using new vs:assembly attribute.
Made source code localizable by moving all error messages and dialog strings to .resx files.
Added a default XSL transform.
New icons, a play on the Vista "Notepad" icons.
Bug Fixes included in this version:
Fixed install on Windows Vista machines using Windows Installer XML 3.0.
Performance of expand node when validating.
Fixed bug where changed schemas and transforms were not being re-loaded.
Fixed spurious warnings about file being changed on disk.
Fixed handling of very long text nodes.
Fixed round trip of DTD content in <!DOCTYPE> tags.
Fixed validation of elements with xsi:type attributes.
Scroll bar not updating when node expanded/collapsed in some cases.
Tree view needs horizontal scrollbar.
When XML Notepad is minimized and file changes on disk, the file reload prompt is confusing. Notepad should be restored first.
XSL output window should pick up new xsl-transform based on input document.
Fixed unhandled exception when closing a group of XML notepad windows.
Added registration of "Edit" action for .xml file extension.
Move source code to CodePlex.

The only bad thing about is performance - it requires .NET Framework 2.0 to be installed.
For people dealing with XML a lot - I would recommend trying it.

Cheers

Wojtek
blueray
For free editor : Notepad++
It provide a basic plugins function so if you do like, you can create plugin to supplement your needs.

For non free editor: Ultraedit
Oh. It already powerfull enough and support common programming language.
u2ns
I only used notepad for my own some freeware PAD's replacement is good but i will used the windows notepad
Straevaras
There's a really good editor that I've found to use in the last year. I use it for all my coding (as far as web development is concerned). It's JEdit. You need the Java Runtime Environment on your computer to even run it, but I'm assuming most to all of you here would already have that on your computers anyway. Wink

JEdit color codes your code, especially strings, numbers, functions, keywords, and so forth. And it will identify between particular files, such as .js, .php, .html, for what kind of color code to apply to your code. You can have as many panes as you want. I really, really like JEdit and I haven't found anything better, personally, to use.

Also, another nice thing about JEdit, is that it works in virtually every operating system that has a JRE. Linux, Windows, and so forth. You can find more info at http://www.jedit.org/
Alias
The best replacement for Notepad for me is the PSPad Editor! It really helps me lot when I make my thesis project. It has a lot of features and add-ons. You could visit the PSPad website here.

Btw Its a Freeware Editor!