FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IP2

Craeft
So I have IP2 compatible system on this computer. I thought, "What the hell? I'll try it out." Has anyone else used or does anyone else use the IP2 system? I ended up reverting back because everything was dog-ass slow on it. Now, I understand that there are only a handful of servers out there that use the system, so the data has to travel that much further all weird-like. But even my outlook express was slower than hell with it. I will say that it's a fairly intereting set up, but man... having to memorize hex-dec for IP addresses is insanity. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced it.
ocalhoun
I would only use it on a small, private network, but on such a network, it has no purpose.

The main reason that they are putting it in all new OS's now (I think) is so that later on down the line when they want to upgrade the whole world's internet to IP2, most people's computers will support it without any updates.
Craeft
That's kinda what I figured. They're working on the overall upgrade. I like their explanation of how many IP addresses they can have this way. "It allows more IP addresses than the sky has stars." Scary thought.
ocalhoun
I am assuming you are actually talking about IPv6, right? The current version is v4.
Craeft
ocalhoun wrote:
I am assuming you are actually talking about IPv6, right? The current version is v4.

Yeah. Sorry. Wink