FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Parkour and Freerunning

Cmink32
I was actually quite amazed that this topic hadn't been started yet. I am just curious about people opinions on the surge of people starting to learn parkour and the effect that is will have on society in the next few years.

Personally I believe it is awesome. Being able to learn how to look at your environment in a new way is refreshing. I have only been doing parkour for 6 months now so I would in no way call myself a tracuer yet. I started learning parkour after having seen a group of people practicing it in the town that I live it. I had seen it on youtube and such but never saw it first hand. The fluid, yet strong, motions are mesmerizing.

I am disappointed though at the same time. Even just in the six months I have been practicing I have seen it get corrupted. People seem to focus more on trying to show off and forget why it was all started. Becoming more confident with yourself and your ability to control your body on a level that most people don't even realize is possible. It was about not worrying about making a bigger jump then another person or putting that extra bit of flair on the end of a motion, but rather being able to conquer your own fears and push yourself beyond what you thought your own limits were. To unlock a way of moving through our environment that most thought was lost due to evolution.
Keran
There were a few topics about PK/3r, but they weren't the most popular ones...

I personally train Freerun for about 2 years now. I started out with Parkour, but soon I saw that it wasn't enough for me. I believe that Parkour seriously limits my potential, so I went into acrobatics, tricking and street stunts and combining it into my run. So I'm a freerunner now.

The corruption You're talking about is normal, a lot of kids try Parkour just to show of while they don't really understand the true meaning of this 'art', however they get bored really quickly and stop doing it. True traceurs (not "tracuer") train for themselves, not for others. I can't say I'm a traceur because I don't train entirely for me, I sometimes enjoy a nice comment or an applause from a passer-by, or the adrenaline rush after doing a flip, thus I'm a freerunner as said earlier. Freerunning has much lighter guidelines, allows more and let's me develop my skills in more efficient way.

As for the competition, in Parkour it's unthinkable, however the 'creator' of Freerun Sebastien Foucan says that he doesn't mind competition in 'his' sport.
I believe that if people want to compete with each other on a small scale, then it's fine. Because it'll make them better, help them evolve, I myself while watching 3R/PK videos on the net ask myself: "could I do this technique as well as this guy does? or even better?".
However if Parkour or Freerun comes to a point when there will be championships and stuff, then it'll be a serious problem.

Parkour has a different meaning for everyone, some see it as a way of life, others see it as a way of spending Your free time in a fun way. The problem is that the philosophies of both disciplines are wicked and confusing (You can't even call Parkour a sport without making a fuss in the community)
Everyone (who's training one of those disciplines) by know, knows the difference between Parkour and Freerun. No one can tell You that a flip is part of Parkour because he sees it this way, then again You can't tell someone that It's not "Parkour" to try to be better than someone else, at least in Your own mind. Sure You should do it for Yourself mainly, but seeing Yourself better than someone might seem like a milestone in Your development.
deadswan
I've been really interested in this for a while now...
But dunno how I'd learn all about it...
And I know you gotta learn to land properly... Someone near here died when they did it... But they just jumped onto a roof that couldn't support them and fell through..
DJonDemand
I learned this for around 2 years, I went to a meeting once a week and trained, honestly I'd have to say 75% of people are wasting their time attempting to do this, you need good coordination, and to be physically fit to actually get good at this, and you need to be very brave. If your gonna learn then start out at a small rail and practice the vaults, www.parkour.com find all the vaults here. Slowly make your way through the more difficult vaults and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Like I said if your not physically fit your wasting your time. Anyway I stopped about two years ago because I was tired of new people in terrible shape coming to meetings and expecting everybody to watch them train and tell them every single thing they were doing wrong and like following you around and not even doing anything. Also I decided it is better to do Muay Thai and not look like an idiot in front of everybody in the city. A good decision on my part, but I mean if your amazing at it and are going to jump buildings and do flips on concrete nobody will tell you that you are an idiot. By the time I stopped I could jump up a wall 14 feet, front flip and back flip and land on my feet, do all the vaults ect. If you want to start and need help PM me and I will try to assist you.
Keran
DJonDemand wrote:
I learned this for around 2 years, I went to a meeting once a week and trained, honestly I'd have to say 75% of people are wasting their time attempting to do this, you need good coordination, and to be physically fit to actually get good at this, and you need to be very brave.

True, Parkour/Freerun requires to be in a good physical shape, but I think You're missing the point, it's not about being the best, because it's not a competitive sport ( Parkour is not even considered a sport). The point is to have fun, be free and do it for yourself, not to impress others.

I've seen people who were completely in no shape, but still they enjoyed doing Parkour, even though they weren't great at it. Also in the beginning it's hard to just run out on the street and jump or to be an active participant on the meetings, most of the traceurs tend to jump for themselves only. Also from what I've seen, on the meetings I've been to, people tend to show off and push themselves to the edge of possibilities, thus it's natural that a newbie is a little shy, after all he came to the meeting to actually get advices and help, rather than show off.

DJonDemand wrote:
Also I decided it is better to do Muay Thai and not look like an idiot in front of everybody in the city.

Then I guess it's better that You stopped if You think that Parkour/Freerun makes You look like an idiot...

DJonDemand wrote:
By the time I stopped I could jump up a wall 14 feet, front flip and back flip and land on my feet, do all the vaults ect. If you want to start and need help PM me and I will try to assist you.

Does it really matter, from what height, You can jump? As I said before, You're missing the point of Parkour/Freerun. By the way, just to make sure You know, flips aren't Parkour.

To finish, anyone who wishes to try their luck at Parkour or Freerunning, shouldn't try to push oneself to do unimaginable vaults / tricks. Because the point is to have fun and enjoy running around Your town. Believe me when I say, that You only need one thing to be good in Parkour - the will to train.

ps. lol I didn't get any points for this post :[[[
Firilacroco
I recently saw a documentary on TV about parkour, and those guys really think that this is their life. I want to learn, but I can't find anything useful on the internet...
DJonDemand
Frilacroco like I said, just send me a PM if you want help, and Keran, I just think if your not good at it you look like a fool, and unless your doing it where there is nobody around there are always going to be people yelling at you and laughing at you, honking horns ect. and it's annoying and embarrassing, just saying unless your in the middle of nowhere do not go practice outside until your are atleast ok at worst.
Chinmoy
saw some videos on youtube..it loks as awesome as it can be..