FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Simple internal search on my site

Da Rossa
Hi
I'd like to add a simple search field to my site:
http://www.darossa.frih.net/notas
it's only about html files with some text. I think that this means that this is not very difficult, but I don't even know where to start from. So far, there are over 80 pages on my site, and sometimes people need to find something specific and they stay for long in the manual search. What can I do?
Thanks!

p.s. sorry if this has already been posted, but a search in this area of the forum would return thousands of results because of the matter itself.
inphurno
a simple way to add a search box to your site is to use google's custom search engine tool. with this you can basically add a google powered search box to your site. i never used it (because i think google is evil) but you should be able to set this up if you have a google account.

otherwise if you know php or any other scripting language there should be many tutorials out there. i would suggest trying the Zend Framework to create your own search tool in php since theres a component for this called Zend_Search_Lucene.
Da Rossa
But there is no php on my site, it's all about simple html.. is it a problem?
By the way, why do you think Google is evil?

Thanks.
the-guide
Yes, you can use Google Search Box as this page use (can you see on the right top of this page?) it work very well and don't worry, no php codes are required.
Da Rossa
Right now it's not working apparently.. it's returning blank results..

Also, when I upload a fresh class that I had this day, the google engine will not find the specific words of it until some days are passed. The problem is that we're close to some exams, then people can find it difficulty to study. Is there a way to "accelerate" the results to be found?
For example, yesterday I added a class about "excludentes de culpabilidade". however only the older classes (notes) are found.
sonam
You can try http://www.picosearch.com/index.html

Quote:
Enable your website visitors to search your own site.
No software download needed. On-line setup in minutes!
Control your own search engine, re-index when you want.
When you search enable your web site, your visitors find what they want, right away!

Or you can try http://www.freefind.com/
Quote:
Free search account
You can use our search technology for free! This is not a time limited trial edition. You get almost all the features that our subscription offers for free, but the search results will include advertising. And you get it all with no fixed page limit (sites limited to 64MB of HTML).

But both have ads in free solution.
Sonam
Da Rossa
Thanks for the suggestions, but ads are not acceptable Sad
inphurno
this is one of the probs with the goggle search if your pages haven't been indexed the tool doesn't work, as far as i remember. Why is google evil? well for many reasons but one of the main ones is how they work with governments to control the internet.

They worked with the chinese to restrict access to various topics and with the french and german governments to block several sites about the holocaust. Where did i get this info from, well wikipedia, it was there for many months but now when i go to google's page on wikipedia this info is no longer there nor in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google. so i guess google must have asked them to remove this or just gave them a nice donation.
Da Rossa
Not willing to twist my own topic, but I'm afraid you're mistaken.

First of all, Google has brought us its nice search engine. Then Gmail. Then all free good services.

As for the individual sites blocked, I don't see it as a problem because it's about those countries' laws. What if google could simply enter their country without abiding by their rules?
sonam
Ok here is two more, one without ads one with their logo (if I good understand):
http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/
http://www.master.com/texis/master/app/home.html

Sonam
inphurno
Da Rossa wrote:

First of all, Google has brought us its nice search engine. Then Gmail. Then all free good services.

As for the individual sites blocked, I don't see it as a problem because it's about those countries' laws. What if google could simply enter their country without abiding by their rules?

haha your funny Very Happy Very Happy

we are talking about the internet here not countries... the internet is without borders
Da Rossa
inphurno wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:

haha your funny Very Happy Very Happy

we are talking about the internet here not countries... the internet is without borders

It's not that simple. If there was, in there, the prohibition to see images of naked women, tthen the logic would be the government to make efforts to hinder this practice. And there are borde

rs on the internet... it's not an abstract thing like many people conceive it; it's about a bunch of servers (computers) that 'reside' on concrete places. If something is allowed in the US but not in China, the problem is about China's regime, not the company's acts to follow the laws of the countries it gets in to sell their services.
inphurno
if that were the case then there would have been no problem with IBM selling hardware to the Nazis to speed up the processing of Jews before sending them to concentration camps or with the banks that stole money from Jews and/or worked the Nazis to do so.

if companies cant be held accountable for their actions with the only justification being profits its because of peoples lack of interest in this very basic right, freedom to access information. China's government can do what they want on their own soil but this is a very serious thing when a company undermines freedom, liberty and democracy. unless you don't like those things of course...
Da Rossa
hey, I like democracy and freedom. Poor chinese.
You and I fortunately don't have this problem with Google. In our countries I assume that no search criteria is blocked. So Google does the job for us.

Poor chinese, they face a regime of force, and I'm honestly sorry for them (specially because the communists have collected all copies of the I-ching in the major cities, as well as some work of philosophy that cover the millenia). But Google can hardly be considered an associate of the regime. With a bit of common sense we can compare this two examples - which I agree with you that they're similar - and come to the conclusion that IBM, in pratical terms, acted as an associate of the nazis: their services were crucial for the nazis agenda, but not Google's for the chinese communists.