FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


John McCain will really keep taxes low





jmi256
Instead of focusing on Obama's questionable associations, I thought I'd focus on what McCain will actually do as president. While the other side talks and talks about taxes and tries to misguide people with double speak and fudged numbers, McCain actually spells out how he's going to deal with taxes. Here are some excepts from his website. Compare McCain's plan to Obama's plan for yourself and you'll see where the commonsense approach is. You can find all this at http://www.johnmccain.com/Issues/JobsforAmerica/taxes.htm.

1. McCain will keep the top tax rate at 35% instead of increasing it to 62% as Obama wants, and will keep dividends and capital gains at 15%. Not only does Obama want to raise income tax rates, he wants to raise taxes on dividends and capital gains at those much higher rates.
Quote:
Entrepreneurs are at the heart of American innovation, growth and prosperity. Entrepreneurs create the ultimate job security - a new, better opportunity if your current job goes away. Entrepreneurs should not be taxed into submission. John McCain will keep the top tax rate at 35 percent, maintain the 15 percent rates on dividends and capital gains, and phase-out the Alternative Minimum Tax. Small businesses are the heart of job growth; raising taxes on them hurts every worker.


2. Instead of raising taxes here and forcing businesses to relocated and/or send jobs abroad, McCain wants to make doing business in the US more attractive, thereby helping everyone. Obama plans to raise taxes on some businesses to 62% (under Obama's plan business = individual and vice versa), which will just force them to relocate.
Quote:
Cut The Corporate Tax Rate From 35 To 25 Percent: A lower corporate tax rate is essential to keeping good jobs in the United States. America was once a low-tax business environment, but as our trade partners lowered their rates, America failed to keep pace. We now have the second highest corporate tax rate in the world, making America a less attractive place for companies to do business. American workers deserve the chance to make fine products here and sell them around the globe.


3. McCain also wants to permanently ban Internet taxes. I'm not sure if Obama has commented on this. That includes taxes on email, etc.
Quote:
Ban Internet Taxes: John McCain believes we must make a farsighted, robust, and fervent commitment to innovation and new technologies to sustain our global competitiveness, meet our national security challenges, achieve less costly and more effective health care, reduce dangerous dependence on foreign sources of oil, and raise the quality of education in the United States. John McCain has been a leader in keeping the Internet free of taxes. As President, he will seek a permanent ban on taxes that threaten this engine of economic growth and prosperity.


4. McCain will keep congress from enacting new taxes on cell phones and text messages. Again, I don't know what Obama's plan is or if he's addressed the issue.
Quote:
Ban New Cell Phone Taxes: John McCain understands that the same people that would tax e-mail will tax every text message - and even 911 calls. John McCain will prohibit new cellular telephone taxes.


Source: http://www.johnmccain.com/Issues/JobsforAmerica/taxes.htm
mathiaus
W0W! I can guess which team you bat on! That is one of the most biased posts I have ever read on Frihost and I've been here a long time and read a lot of posts!

To combat your highly negative post regarding Obama, I'll be on side. You had better watch out! Twisted Evil



You said that Obama would raise taxes to the point that businesses would be lost to foreign countries etc etc.
In fact, he is promoting businesses. I mean lets face it, you need them to survive!
Quote:
End Tax Breaks for Companies that Send Jobs Overseas: Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe that companies should not get billions of dollars in tax deductions for moving their operations overseas. Obama and Biden will also fight to ensure that public contracts are awarded to companies that are committed to American workers.

Quote:
Reward Companies that Support American Workers: Barack Obama introduced the Patriot Employer Act of 2007 with Senators Richard Durbin (D-IL) and Sherrod Brown (D-OH) to reward companies that create good jobs with good benefits for American workers. The legislation would provide a tax credit to companies that maintain or increase the number of full-time workers in America relative to those outside the US; maintain their corporate headquarters in America if it has ever been in America; pay decent wages; prepare workers for retirement; provide health insurance; and support employees who serve in the military.

Quote:
Provide Tax Relief for Small Businesses and Start Up Companies: Barack Obama and Joe Biden will eliminate all capital gains taxes on start-up and small businesses to encourage innovation and job creation. Obama and Biden will also support small business owners by providing a $500 “Making Work Pay” tax credit to almost every worker in America. Self-employed small business owners pay both the employee and the employer side of the payroll tax, and this measure will reduce the burdens of this double taxation.

Quote:
Create a National Network of Public-Private Business Incubators: Barack Obama and Joe Biden will support entrepreneurship and spur job growth by creating a national network of public-private business incubators. Business incubators facilitate the critical work of entrepreneurs in creating start-up companies. Obama and Biden will invest $250 million per year to increase the number and size of incubators in disadvantaged communities throughout the country.


Now, not only does he have these plans, he's already been working with them!
Quote:
Barack Obama introduced the Patriot Employer Act of 2007 to provide a tax credit to companies that maintain or increase the number of full-time workers in America relative to those outside the US; maintain their corporate headquarters in America; pay decent wages; prepare workers for retirement; provide health insurance; and support employees who serve in the military.


All from - http://www.barackobama.com/issues/economy/

If you'd like



I think I've finished for now Razz but I'll leave all you good people with a video by one of my favourite actors - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fZy45S78nIY
...and a calculator - http://alchemytoday.com/obamataxcut/
liljp617
Somebody has to pay for the $3 trillion war and $700 billion bail out...


May I ask how maverick McCain is going to pay for his health care proposal, which based on estimates at the moment is going to cost tens of billions each year? Although, I guess we could borrow it from China....


I guess I'll vote McCain though, so I don't get my email and text messages taxed. What a ridiculous reason to back a candidate lmao...you really think they're going to tax email and text messages? Get real...
coolclay
liljp617 the government already taxes email and text messages in some if not most cases, not specifically but it still happens. Cell phones all have taxes involved, and so do most internet plans. Now I am not saying we should all vote for McCain because of it, I am not a huge fan of either but, we should look at where each stand on issues important to us, and who is more believable, who has more experience, and who is more likely to come through on their election platform promises.
mathiaus
I dont think that the internet should be taxed at all. That doesn't mean I wouldn't trust that tax to just be simply moved. I'd rather someone just said 'I don't think it should be taxed, but we can't afford to not tax you.'

You can't look at single issues like that. You need to put them all together and look at the bigger picture. One may take away internet tax but add to other taxes, taking $10 off you bill, then adding $20 somewhere else. Whereas the second may just leave the original tax. Wink
liljp617
coolclay wrote:
liljp617 the government already taxes email and text messages in some if not most cases, not specifically but it still happens. Cell phones all have taxes involved, and so do most internet plans. Now I am not saying we should all vote for McCain because of it, I am not a huge fan of either but, we should look at where each stand on issues important to us, and who is more believable, who has more experience, and who is more likely to come through on their election platform promises.


Well no joke, but he made it seem like they're going to tax each individual email and text message, which is false.


Either way, neither of them are going to come through on their platforms....nobody has really done that in decades.

And for experience or believability, I'd rather not elect someone who voted 91% in favor of Bush's actions.
jmi256
Here's a response to a few posts back:

mathiaus wrote:
You said that Obama would raise taxes to the point that businesses would be lost to foreign countries etc etc.
In fact, he is promoting businesses. I mean lets face it, you need them to survive!
Quote:
End Tax Breaks for Companies that Send Jobs Overseas: Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe that companies should not get billions of dollars in tax deductions for moving their operations overseas. Obama and Biden will also fight to ensure that public contracts are awarded to companies that are committed to American workers.


I know we need them to survive. But is Obama saying that he believes "companies should not get billions of dollars in tax deductions for moving their operations overseas" really a plan? Who isn't against that? I guess we should vote for him because he's pro puppies and kittens?


mathiaus wrote:
Quote:
Reward Companies that Support American Workers: Barack Obama introduced the Patriot Employer Act of 2007 with Senators Richard Durbin (D-IL) and Sherrod Brown (D-OH) to reward companies that create good jobs with good benefits for American workers. The legislation would provide a tax credit to companies that maintain or increase the number of full-time workers in America relative to those outside the US; maintain their corporate headquarters in America if it has ever been in America; pay decent wages; prepare workers for retirement; provide health insurance; and support employees who serve in the military.


So is plan is to give something to companies that create good jobs and benefits, as well as serve the community? Wow, sure sounds like "making a profit" to me. And companies can make better profits and create better jobs when they aren't taxed as much. Government should just get out of their way. By taxing the companies and then turning around and giving them a "tax credit" all he's proposing is more government waste and inefficiencies.


mathiaus wrote:
[
Quote:
Provide Tax Relief for Small Businesses and Start Up Companies: Barack Obama and Joe Biden will eliminate all capital gains taxes on start-up and small businesses to encourage innovation and job creation. Obama and Biden will also support small business owners by providing a $500 “Making Work Pay” tax credit to almost every worker in America. Self-employed small business owners pay both the employee and the employer side of the payroll tax, and this measure will reduce the burdens of this double taxation.


Eliminating all capital gains taxes on start-ups and small businesses sounds good to me, and I could support that. I would just ask: what's his definition of a small business? He already said he'd raise taxes on businesses making more than $250k (which really isn't a lot for a small business with employees) and would that would include a lot of small businesses. I don't like the $500 credit (and what's up with the silly name?) for the same reason I stated above. Instead of taxing someone too high and then turning around and giving them some of their own money back, just remove/lower the tax in the first place. If not, you're just creating inefficiencies.


mathiaus wrote:
Quote:
Create a National Network of Public-Private Business Incubators: Barack Obama and Joe Biden will support entrepreneurship and spur job growth by creating a national network of public-private business incubators. Business incubators facilitate the critical work of entrepreneurs in creating start-up companies. Obama and Biden will invest $250 million per year to increase the number and size of incubators in disadvantaged communities throughout the country.


Sorry, this just seems silly to me. I mean "a national network of public-private business incubators"? Come on. In my opinion, this just isn't practical. New York City has tried something similar and it has been a huge disaster. They tried "incubating" entrepreneurs by having entrepreneur classes, seminars, networking events, etc., and they ended up just attracting people with no real business sense or business plans and who were looking for a hand out.


mathiaus wrote:
Now, not only does he have these plans, he's already been working with them!
Quote:
Barack Obama introduced the Patriot Employer Act of 2007 to provide a tax credit to companies that maintain or increase the number of full-time workers in America relative to those outside the US; maintain their corporate headquarters in America; pay decent wages; prepare workers for retirement; provide health insurance; and support employees who serve in the military.


This is the same thing you mentioned above, and I commented there about the merits of the bill. But to address you assertion that "he's been working on" these "plans":

First of all, despite trying to take credit for it, he didn't introduce the bill. Durbin was the sponsor and introduced the bill, and Clinton, Obama and Brown were co-sponsors. Basically Obama didn't lead the effort. The bill was introduced back in August 2007 before even the Democrats took Obama seriously.

Second of all, if that's supposed to show his leadership, I would just ask: why the bill hasn't gone anywhere? Usually leadership is exhibited by results rather than trying to take credit for proposing something.

You can find out more about the bill here: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-s1945/show
ocalhoun
jmi256 wrote:
Instead of focusing on Obama's questionable associations, I thought I'd focus on what McCain will actually do as president.

Very commendable, given the recent topics around here.
guitarcrazy087
Unless we, the people, (sounds strange doesn't it?) get the government back to where it's supposed to be, none of this will matter.

I'm sure you've all seen how the stock market has been behaving. Wonder why? It couldn't be that our economy is crashing. No. Not that our dollar is loosing it's value by the day.

Well, you may not like to think about it, but within four to ten years there could easily be a global depression unlike anything the entire race of humanity has seen before.

I agree that Obama might be more of a money spender than McCain, but even so, do you really only want to be keeping 60% of what you make? When the government starts taxing unconstitutionally, it doesn't mean they can just take 4%, or 6%, or however much of your income they do, but that none of what you make is yours, and they can take as much as they like.

Unless we withdraw our troops from our global empire (the US has basses in 130 countries of the 170 nations in the world), and stop unconstitutional spending and bring the federal reserve to a halt, none of this McCain/Obama stuff will matter. We have to get our economy stable, reestablish the value of the dollar, and pay our debts.

We need to look into the third parties that the press ignores and see what's really there. I'm sure if anyone really does, they will be quite surprised by a completely different way of thinking- that the U.S. government is actually supposed to be quite small and run by the people.
jmi256
I actually agree with you in some respects. I'm much more a Libertarian, but out of the two parties the Republicans hold more of the Libertarian ideals (at least in principle), such as smaller government, individual rights, etc.


guitarcrazy087 wrote:
Unless we, the people, (sounds strange doesn't it?) get the government back to where it's supposed to be, none of this will matter.

I'm sure you've all seen how the stock market has been behaving. Wonder why? It couldn't be that our economy is crashing. No. Not that our dollar is loosing it's value by the day.

Well, you may not like to think about it, but within four to ten years there could easily be a global depression unlike anything the entire race of humanity has seen before.

I agree that Obama might be more of a money spender than McCain, but even so, do you really only want to be keeping 60% of what you make? When the government starts taxing unconstitutionally, it doesn't mean they can just take 4%, or 6%, or however much of your income they do, but that none of what you make is yours, and they can take as much as they like.

Unless we withdraw our troops from our global empire (the US has basses in 130 countries of the 170 nations in the world), and stop unconstitutional spending and bring the federal reserve to a halt, none of this McCain/Obama stuff will matter. We have to get our economy stable, reestablish the value of the dollar, and pay our debts.

We need to look into the third parties that the press ignores and see what's really there. I'm sure if anyone really does, they will be quite surprised by a completely different way of thinking- that the U.S. government is actually supposed to be quite small and run by the people.
guitarcrazy087
Or at least they say so. If you really look at the constitution you'll find that the government was established for basically three reasons - and the people could be taxed (uniformly, not selectively. see art. 1 sec. 8 ) only for those purposes, which were:

1. provide for our countries defense.
2. deliver the mail.
3. negotiate foreign policy.

I don't think that's the way Obama or McCain think.

When I said that we need to get to government back to where it's supposed to be, I meant the above... Sorry if there was any confusion on that.
me410
I don't think the same, the situation is so bad that any one that gets the presidency, Democrat or Republican, will take radical measures to save the economy, in Democratic option, at least Clinton does well in economics, but in the Republican side, the same Bush's economical asesors will continue, despite their disastrous management.
guitarcrazy087
I really don't understand how you can say that. Both Obama and McCain promise things that will create an enormous budget.

Anyway, I don't want to argue, I'm just putting my opinions out there. If anyone agrees with me they can check out Chuck Baldwins site: http://www.baldwin08.com/ He stands on the constitution.

I guess in the long run we'll all see what happens and who really knew what was right...
kmkramer
me410 wrote:
at least Clinton does well in economics


Um, what? Before this most recent recession, Clinton had the highest unemployment rates in years. Not to mention this recession did not begin to occur until congress became democratic and turned down an act to revamp the housing industry, something Obama played a major role in considering his backers.

How do people overlook these things and blame the presidency on things congress controls?

You wanted change, you voted for a democratic congress --> you got change! Hope you are happy with all the recent economic turmoil.
TomGrey
Both jmi256 (thanks for good McCain list) and Mathias (nice Obama list of promises) are forgetting a couple of problems.

Gov't likes to reduce taxes, or promise to.
Gov't likes to increase spending, beyond any promises and over promises not to.

Gov't likes to give more power to ... gov't.

The other annoying thing about Presidents is that they like to be successful in getting things passed. The easy way to do that is ... lead your party to do what the other party wants. Reagan and Bush Reps did this in their too-big spending. Clinton did this in his correct welfare reform (which Obama wants to reduce) and his NAFTA increase in trade (which Obama has said he wants to renegotiate); what the Reps wanted, more than the Dems.

I think I recall Obama promising that he couldn't disown his Rev. Wright any more than he could his own grandmother -- and then the CHANGE, disowning him when Rev. Wright repeated the same sermons he's been giving for 20 years, that the the problems of Blacks are because of Whitey.

Obama also got a standing ovation in front of Jews, promising that Jerusalem would not be divided -- before his CHANGE the next day admitting that it should be for final negotiations.

What political promises has Obama ever kept? That's the problem of his thin accomplishments. And even in a Dem Congress, he can't seem to get many bills passed. Yet still, who knows what Obama will really do. I know I don't.
MatthijsM90
I don't believe in him,

He is too old and when he dies Palin will be the next president.
Do we really want palin? i guess no! She's crazy she cant rule an world,
Mccain + Crisis = fail
why? the people who losed their houses won't be helped, they stand on our own foot.
Do we say than in Iraq too? Yes? Why are all that soldiers there then? Why shouldn't he help
his own people ? i say Obama!
Related topics
What did Bush lie about?
Urban Legends About the Iraq War
Why do you all hate God?
Racism in politics..
Failures to Keep a Low Profile:
Kontera ContentLink now open to low-traffic websites!
McCain Aide’s Firm Was Paid by Freddie Mac
Markets Responding to Possible Obama Win?
More about Obama's lies/distortions
That's what I like about McCain.
Things only a Republican could believe
Employment situation improving under Obama
John McCain: I'm not a Maverick
Honest, hardworking AZ man asked for his "papers",
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.