FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How long before we cause a rip in the time space continuum.

slashnburn99
We can travel faster than the speed of sound, in a plane

How long before we can go faster than the speed of light?

How many Thousand of years?
Bikerman
The speed of sound is not a fundamental property - it changes with pressure and atmosphere composition. There is no fundamental reason why you cannot exceed the speed of sound - which is why we have managed to do so.
The speed of light is different. It appears to be a fundamental limit. If relativity is correct (and every time it has been tested it has passed) then we will never exceed the speed of light (c).
There are hypothetical ways around this (folding spacetime, for example) but these remain highly speculative and, to date, nobody has even managed to propose a realistic model, let alone a workable prototype.
If you want my guess, then I would say Einstein was right and c is a fundamental limit.
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:

There are hypothetical ways around this (folding spacetime, for example)

Even in those ways, you never actually travel faster than light; those ways are about taking shortcuts, while ordinary light takes the long way around, so you get there first.
slashnburn99
Nice answers

Unlimited amount of money and time, sounds like still wouldn`t be exactly possible
Gagnar The Unruly
Even more importantly, it would take unlimited energy. There simply isn't enough energy in the universe to make anything with mass accelerate to the speed of light.
guissmo
If there'd be time travel in the future, we might see our descendants coming here and saying hi. That's just my take. I know it's not Science-y and all.
crazygriffin
not possible, well actually it is, but only a weapon that is strong enought to create a black hole can be strong enogh to rip, WAYYYY STRONGER.
Fake
What about reverse engineering alien craft
Anything can happen with that sort of stuff..if you believe
Parkour_Jarrod
If you believe the conspiracy behind The Philadelphia Experiment We have already made a rip in the space-time continuum but the universe righted itself and fixed the hole the same way that we broke it.

More on Philadelphia Experiment.
toasterintheoven
there are theories that DMT can lead to such experiences where you can project yourself into time-space realms
toasterintheoven
I think also that now we can already create lasers hotter than the center of the sun and a medium for a particle to travel faster than the speed of light, so really, it's just technical challenges that stand in the way of our accomplishing more note-worthy feats, like time-traveling for instance.
Indi
toasterintheoven wrote:
I think also that now we can already create lasers hotter than the center of the sun and a medium for a particle to travel faster than the speed of light, so really, it's just technical challenges that stand in the way of our accomplishing more note-worthy feats, like time-traveling for instance.

There has been widespread misreporting by science journalists that particles have been accelerated faster than light. That's simply not true. The confusion is because light has several speeds: a group velocity, a phase velocity and a signal velocity. Scientists have managed to make the group velocity faster than c (and slower - they can even make the group velocity zero). The phase velocity of most waves (like matter waves) exceeds c. But the signal velocity can never exceed c.

So, no, it's not just a matter of technical challenges in the way. So far as our current knowledge of physics dictates, we can never exceed c (and certainly never travel backward in time).