FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Corruption!

profbis
How severe is the corruption in your nation?
Can you bribe policemen?
How strong is the law?
Who are corrupted?
Will you take bribe if everyone takes bribe?
{name here}
profbis wrote:
Can you bribe policemen?
How strong is the law?
Who are corrupted?

Compared to the rest of the world, the US's lower echolons don't seem to all be corrupt. In my area corruption in the police isn't quite existant. However, on the federal and even state level corruption is easily spotted by looking at who gave money to whom.
satksri
It is horrible in India.. Poor people are ground in dirt through corruption, day after day, but no one cares. No political party wants to talk about it because of skeletons in its on cupboard. Only God can save us..
Cddhesh
Corruption is the biggest headache in this world i will say.Everyone thinks of his/her benefits first and then others(if there is time). No one thinks of future results of corruption.It gives pleasure for a moment but it too effects the person causing corruption.Problem is also to identify corruption with proof.
I don't know what is the rank of India in corruption rating, but i have seen live a policeman taking bribe
many news papers have done sting operation and caught many people(top to bottom) taking bribe.
deanhills
I can't see any corruption in Canada, but then perhaps I am never looking at that to that extent. I think it must be similar to the States, where people trust, but once they have caught someone crossing the line, that person is in serious trouble. Often corruption is uncovered that involves a a number of people, and for that moment everyone is in shock and they write up a few extra rules and regulations of what gifts are not allowed to be accepted, etc. etc. and then in a few years time when people have forgotten, something else can occur. But I believe corruption like this is the exception rather than the rule. I think since there is so little corruption in North America, that once the media uncovers an incident, or even a rumour of an incident, they totally blow it up out of proportion so that everyone immediately becomes suspicious and everyone related to the corruption is doubted.

For me real corruption is in some of the more disadvantaged countries, where you have to bribe people in order to get a driver's license for example. Quite openly almost. I know of some of that happening in some of the countries in Africa almost as a way of life. People do not argue, they just pay up as "that is the way".
bonusbux
profbis wrote:
Can you bribe policemen?
How strong is the law?
Who are corrupted?

In my country, it is very severe, I'd say it is the root of all our problems.
I can bribe ANY policeman.
Law is not strong here
Everybody is corrupted - politicians (the most), policemen, government employees, etc.
I would never take any kind of bribe nor give it. Never did and never will.
imera
I think there is corruption in every country, but many places its more hidden than others.
I'm pretty sure corruption isn't a big problem here in Norway, of course I have heard stories about individuals and their greed, its not possible to say that every person you know arent greedy. The law here is really strong and when a corruption has taken place and is discovered there will most likely be a trial, the people goes down and a lot of other people is scared they will be caught.

I agree partly with deanhills, corruption somewhere can be like a daily routine for someone in special countries, but corruption happens everywhere either we can see it or not. The media does blow up things if it happens in a country that you hardly hear about it, but that doesn't mean it almost never happens. There are bad, good, strong and weak people in every country, I think its the law that affects how openly things are, is the law strong you will hardly hear about it but is it weak then you have most likely seen corruption with your own eyes.
OpposableThumbs
I think that in the United States corruption is a top-down phenomenon. Corporations make billions in tax loopholes, so people tend to believe that that's just the way it is.
ptfrances
In France corruption is not the strongest worry. But that's not mean that it doesn't exist. Of course it does but at the same level of other countries of Europe.
hofodomo01
OpposableThumbs wrote:
Corporations make billions in tax loopholes

True as that may be, it's just capitalism. Companies makes the money, regular folk like me get shafted, companies lobby government with said money and keeps the wheels turning. Oh, Uncle Sam, you can be pretty funny sometimes...
nigam
The reasons why filipino people want to be involved in politics or i may say run for president up to the lowest rank likes to get money from the poor people who are paying taxes which is unfortunately abused by government people. they tend to have projects but they will overpriced the material things. i know this can't be stopped anymore. The rich will get richer while the poor will be poorer from generations to generations.
Vladalf
Here in Romania corruption is at it's highest. Politicians steal money and raise their salary every few months. they make laws with absolutely no logic (cannot explain this to foreigners), and, well, there's the most corruption.
-Vladalf
sketteksalfa
Corruption has been part of the system here in my country and it is becoming worst. People are getting no trust on the government.

One reason to blame is that government employees here are getting very small salary compared to private companies. That provoke them to take more than what they should have.
muffinman187
in the US getting away with corruption is hard but for those that do get away with it, they did it behind close door and very secretively. I said getting away is hard but not impossible. The thing is if someone stay corrupted long enough people will see it. One great example is ENRON.

check out the documentary
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005)
it's a great video on corruption and how the company got away with it for so long.

but bridging policeman you gotta know who you can bridge and who you can not.
OpposableThumbs
muffinman187 wrote:
in the US getting away with corruption is hard but for those that do get away with it, they did it behind close door and very secretively.

Yes, I agree. Corruption on the street may not be as rampant in the US as elsewhere, but we can't be beat for large-scale, multi-national, multi-billion-dollar, democracy-busting scams.
muffinman187
and i do agree with opposable thumbs. especially corruption that involved with big ceo, banks, and politician. another great example is vice president dick cheney corruption involvement with Halliburton.
A lesson learn is you can get away with anything if you have A) a powerful lawyer B) a LOT OF MONEY C) Really powerful friends. mix it all together and cook it for 30 minutes and there you have Rachael rays 30 mins receipts to corruption.
TrueFact
Corruption in my nation is deepened and rooted in every sector, organization and house that you can say the president himself is corrupted.

There's no need to bribe a policeman in my country, they would do anything for you just because you are friends, relatives or have some business between you two. Another point about policemen, we suffer of their brutality.

The law is very strong if you are one of the high class, if you are not, huh, there's no law...

Everyone is corrupted from my point of view... politicians, policemen, army, the royal family and every normal man as s/he never demand or claim their rights. they just stand watching what others do even they hurt him himself. Only a few, very few of the 85 million people in Egypt would make a stand and claim their rights and everyone's else right that you can call them 'Few Good Men'.

Maybe I have a very dark view of the current situation in my country, but that's just my point of view...

I guess I may take a bribe if doesn't hurt anyone...
me410
The corrupttion in my country is enormous, every policeman and judge is on sale, you can murder, steal, traffic with narcotics, mass murdering, without punishment, if you bribe the police or the judge; even there are rate, for a murder, you pay around 1000usd, only steal, around 20 usd, destroy a Natural Reserve 1 million, there a recordins of the Green Ecologyst Party leader, receiving a couple of millions to sell a premission to deforestate the biggest Forrest in the country, with absolute impunity, the politicians are worst, they sell to any with enought money, or simply adquire for themselves the propiety of the nation, after a few years they are inexplicable wealthy, and the only way to be millionare here is in politics.
atul2242
Corruption at the highest level
money being flashed around in the parliament
and the members of parliament consider themselves rulers or kings
muffinman187
hey money bring out the best in everything, the good the bad and the really really ugly. i believe third world country has it bad
TrueFact
Yeah, the third world is being mostly used by the more advanced nations, and this usage put the wrong men in the right places to control everything which in turn leads to corruption.

Anyways, nothing lasts and it always prove that time can turn things up side down...
bonestorm74
I guess it's pretty bad everywhere, although some places are undoubtedly a lot worse than others. I think my country is relatively good, considering some of the other dodgy places out there.
atul2242
is corruption only bribery?

Isnt it miss-using ones public position to favour somebody out of turn.... or to help a crimnal escape ... or to hide a fact or two...

the third world does have a lot of petty bribery but corruption is spread all over the world.

Rolling Eyes
TrueFact
that's correct, but the most obvious shape of corruption is bribes as it reflects all other sorts of corruption.

And again, yes it is correct that there's corruption everywhere and in every country, but some countries, or to be more specific. some systems governing these countries are the most corrupted and well known with it.
deanhills
TrueFact wrote:
that's correct, but the most obvious shape of corruption is bribes as it reflects all other sorts of corruption.

And again, yes it is correct that there's corruption everywhere and in every country, but some countries, or to be more specific. some systems governing these countries are the most corrupted and well known with it.

I think that in this extreme form, the corruption is not seen as corrupt, but a way of living. All one can do is to go with the flow.
muffinman187
TrueFact wrote:
Yeah, the third world is being mostly used by the more advanced nations, and this usage put the wrong men in the right places to control everything which in turn leads to corruption.

Anyways, nothing lasts and it always prove that time can turn things up side down...

or puppet government that benefits the more advanced nation at the expense of small nation.
The US has plenty of it's share of installing puppet government in other country.

it's just like Nike having sweat shop over sea. low production cost = greater profit and supposedly more affordable products to the US consumer but that's not true, a pair of MJ cost easily over 150 bucks.

back to topic at hand, Everybody want's to make a living and support a family and be able to buy the good things in life. So if corruption seem to be the only way to obtain that people will be corrupted. Look at the drug Trades of Latin America.
lagoon
There isn't much corruption in Britain... I hope...
TrueFact
Well, Blair was the head of it, if you look it the way we do in the ME
muffinman, yes everyone is trying to improve the quality of life s/he has for him/herself and those s/he care for. And yes, if they take the wrong way to make their dreams come true, then they are corrupted as well.

Corruption doesn't involve a few group of a community or a country, it spreads like a vast tree, if you cut the roots, you kill it all.
OpposableThumbs
lagoon wrote:

I'm American, and I always have a sense that Britain, as a big-time ex-colonial oppressor, is in fact a bit less corrupt than many other Western countries. I just get the sense that the country has a lingering national sense of remorse.
Bikerman
OpposableThumbs wrote:
lagoon wrote:

I'm American, and I always have a sense that Britain, as a big-time ex-colonial oppressor, is in fact a bit less corrupt than many other Western countries. I just get the sense that the country has a lingering national sense of remorse.
No I don't think there is much remorse in that sense. There is still a feeling amongst many that the empire was, on balance, a good thing. Now, I don't necessarily share that view, I'm simply reporting my impressions as a Brit.
As for corruption - the UK has some corruption as do all institutes/states. It really depends on how you define corruption. You certainly would not try to bribe a policeman or other public official unless you wanted to get in deep doo-doo, but there is a higher level corruption present in all western democracies (you can't bribe a policeman but you can buy a peerage).