FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Use of quote tags and citation of sources

Bikerman
An increasing number of posts are in contravention of the terms of use of these boards.
Let me make it clear - I am getting sick of having to trawl through postings and put in quote tags and sources for plagiarised material.

This will not do.

If posters continue to use third-party materials without proper quote tags and without saying where the material came from then I will have no alternative but to issue official warnings.

If you don't know how to quote third-party material properly:
enclose QUOTE in square brackets at the start of the copied passage
enclose /QUOTE in square brackets at the end of the copied passage
Be sure to add your source as an http reference at the end of the posting or passage.

Here is how it should look (thanks to James007 for the visual aid).
jmi256
I'm guilty of that on one of my posts. Sorry, I didn't know how to quote it. I went back and saw that you fixed it. Thanks.
Bikerman
jmi256 wrote:
I'm guilty of that on one of my posts. Sorry, I didn't know how to quote it. I went back and saw that you fixed it. Thanks.

No problem. I'm not trying to be harsh here, but we do need to observe proper practice when citing materials from other places - for reasons of fairness and legality. If anyone has a problem with this (ie in knowing when to cite, and how to do so) then please ask and I will be happy to help. You are welcome to pm me (or any other mod).
inchirieri
what if you cite with the nae under the post?
Bikerman
inchirieri wrote:
what if you cite with the name under the post?

I take that to mean the name of the website where the quote comes from? Yes - that is fine. It is better to provide it as a link, though, since that enables readers to quickly check the site for themselves. It is very easy to do this - see my original posting and, in particular, James's example at the end.

If you are quoting from a non-web source (a book, for example), then the correct thing to do is to still use quote tags, and provide the source (book title and author) either after the quote or at the end of the posting in a list of references.
x3m3r3
A nice all-in-one (well almost) page. Good work. Twisted Evil