FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The system should support Chinese language

91help
As we all know, China has been powerful in world and more and more people start to learn chinese lanuage. So better suggestion is all online supply should think how to appeal Chinese fans to attend
rvec
we don't have any chinese mods, so we can't really do that. We had one if I remember right, but he's not a mod here for a while now.
ocalhoun
^Well, you could always get Chinese mods... Of course you don't have any right now, because you don't need them right now.

Though I'm sure that this suggestion is doomed to failure, it would be a good idea if it could be determined that there is a large number of Chinese speakers on the forum.
tidruG
Sorry but we've already decided that there is not much of a chance we're going to add any more Language forums, especially considering they're not easy to manage or moderate.

Also, this is the first request ever for a Chinese forum, which means, I guess, that not too many people want it anyway. But that's the less important reason for not getting a Chinese forum.
airh3ad
I read all the comments here about this topic im sure frihost can't give chinese forum here frankly its hard to understand chinese language and the members of frihost from china is not the sem of there population .
truespeed
According to Alexa,China only accounts for 0.9% of frihost traffic,and im guessing that number is a lot less for actual members.
Tphilakone
truespeed wrote:
According to Alexa,China only accounts for 0.9% of frihost traffic,and im guessing that number is a lot less for actual members.

i agree wit you . Thats must be sure how many active china online on our forum
airh3ad
In that case 0.9% only its not a big quantity and to have chinese language here!
ocalhoun
Might I point out that there might be a causal relationship in the opposite direction between the fact that we don't have a Chinese section, and that we don't have many Chinese members?
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:
Might I point out that there might be a causal relationship in the opposite direction between the fact that we don't have a Chinese section, and that we don't have many Chinese members?

Thats true,i suppose if there were a Chinese section,you would imagine there would be more traffic from China,and potentially more members.

Having said that,there is a French section,and France only accounts for 0.7% of the traffic.

After the USA,India tops the traffic charts with 8.2% and theres no Indian Language section,perhaps this is because lots of different languages are spoken in India,with Hindi being the most common,but according to wiki,only spoken by 41% of the population,admittedly though this amounts to half a billion,so perhaps with the Indian traffic,maybe a Hindi section could be added.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
,so perhaps with the Indian traffic,maybe a Hindi section could be added.

An excellent idea! If any new language sections are added, it should be Hindi.
Is it really that difficult to make a new language section? Yes, you have to find mods for it, but I'm sure you'd have plenty of volunteers.
mathiaus
There is the loss of control. I'm not calling Bondings a control freak by the way!

When English is used, all the mods and admins can do everything. We can all read all posts, hosting requests, awits and the content of sites (they are generally in English). When other languages are used, everything needs to be translated. Account creators need confirmation from the lang mods that posts are good. This slows down the account creation process. Awits requiring other mod participation and/or admin involvement need to have all relevant information translated (posts, signatures, PMs etc) first, but all replies back need to be translated as well. Basically, having mods, you need a lot from them along with normal moderation of course.
There are other problems such as legal issues. China for instance has rather strict censorship laws. Offering a Chineese section I would've thought would get Frihost checked out more. I'd hate it to be blocked from a whole country. Obviously all laws have to be obeyed anyway but when you add a language section you are targeting users from that country and expected to comply more.

There are other issues but my main point is that it isn't just an issue of adding the forum and getting the mods!
saratdear
ocalhoun wrote:
truespeed wrote:
,so perhaps with the Indian traffic,maybe a Hindi section could be added.

An excellent idea! If any new language sections are added, it should be Hindi.
Is it really that difficult to make a new language section? Yes, you have to find mods for it, but I'm sure you'd have plenty of volunteers.

Were you being sarcastic here?

Although I am from India, I don't see any real need for a Hindi forum. Most of the people from India who might take time to post in Frihost might like to post in English anyway.

Just my opinion.
ocalhoun
saratdear wrote:

Were you being sarcastic here?

Nope; what language sections we have should really depend more on what languages we have.
Bockman
[quote="ocalhoun"]
saratdear wrote:

(...)
what language sections we have should really depend more on what languages we have.

ocalhoun, I for one am in favor of closing some of the already open language forums (mostly due to massive spam and poor posts) because even with willing mod's, we are always dependent on others to do the moderation for us, and they aren't here all the time.
Language forums moderation is very time consuming and the number of repeated posts (between English and Language, most copied from English and translated to the language) is enormous.

I consider myself unbiased on this, because I was the one to ask for the opening of the Portuguese Forum and for more than one time have I discussed closing it (and there have always been more than one mod for that forum. Between me, mariohs, dionet and Astrolopitecos, A LOT of moderation has been done over the years. and spam is still popping up....), and if spam gets out of hand again in there, I will close it.

That being said, I fully against new language forums for now.

Be Well Cool
tidruG
I think I have a fairly good idea as to how many Indian or Hindi-speaking members we have here. At least a good enough idea to know that there won't be any problems with finding a moderator for it. I still, however, don't think it's a good idea to have language forums, and am actually very strongly in favour of closing the ones that we do have. The reasons are the same as what Bock said. You're always going to have to depend on a Language Moderator to get things done in that forum.
truespeed
tidruG wrote:
I think I have a fairly good idea as to how many Indian or Hindi-speaking members we have here. At least a good enough idea to know that there won't be any problems with finding a moderator for it. I still, however, don't think it's a good idea to have language forums, and am actually very strongly in favour of closing the ones that we do have. The reasons are the same as what Bock said. You're always going to have to depend on a Language Moderator to get things done in that forum.

How much traffic via search engines arrives at the language forums? If its minimal,then perhaps you should consider removing the forums alltogether for all the reasons you and bockman said.
Peterssidan
I you take a look at Who is Online you will notice that there is quite many visitors in some of the language forums.
truespeed
Peterssidan wrote:
I you take a look at Who is Online you will notice that there is quite many visitors in some of the language forums.

I never thought of doing that,and your right,when i looked, the language forums accounted for over a third of the guest traffic,primarily the Spanish and Portugese forums.

To take away the language forums would mean not only a drop in traffic but also a drop in income from potential clicks.

From a finance point of view,more language forums would be better,being selective in which ones to add of course. (india and China are huge markets to tap into,the guest traffic from them alone, could increase click through rates ten fold.)

From an inconvenience point of view, i can see why the current moderators wouldn't welcome the addition of any more,and also the removal of the current forums.
ocalhoun
^And really, does spam in a language forum really hurt the rest of the site any? If a given language forum had too much spam for you, you could just pretend it didn't exist, and there would be no problem.
rvec
ocalhoun wrote:
^And really, does spam in a language forum really hurt the rest of the site any? If a given language forum had too much spam for you, you could just pretend it didn't exist, and there would be no problem.
Yes it does hurt the site. That's also why the guest forum has captcha validation. If one forum wasn't so important we'd just let the spam bots flood it.
zellfaze
truespeed wrote:

It would have been a really great idea had there been more Chinese on here. As it is, it could be a way to bring Chinese people to the site.
mathiaus
No more language forums at the moment... at all Exclamation

-close-