FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What if Google launches Operating System

cyberbuddy
hey guys , i suggest Google that it should go on and launch a OS and give a tough fight ti Windows ,LINUX,Apple.....

If so what all things u as a user require in terms user friendliness,security,........etc

punch your views please

thank u
leontius
What's in it for Google? Google wants the world to have internet everywhere so that they can continue to excel with webapps. If this target is achieved then OS is much less relevant than today, because any OS will have the necessary browser advanced enough to run their web apps. Google is more interested in better web browsers, that's why they are making Chrome (hopefully more competition means more quality).

Even if in any case Google wants to push an OS in the market they it will be just a Linux distro that is very Google-centric with all the goodness Google and Linux has to offer (eg. integrated Google Calendar & GMail & Google Reader & Google Chrome & Google Docs & browser sync & login with your Google account & Linux traffic shaping & firewall).
Agent ME
Google OS? The idea of Google having its own browser that it harvests data from scares me; the idea of them following with a public-use OS terrifies me, except for the fact it would diversify operating system usage away from Windows' monopoly slightly.
hunnyhiteshseth
Well in a way they have launched an OS. They have launched Android an open source OS for handheld devices.
Ankhanu
Agent ME wrote:
Google OS? The idea of Google having its own browser that it harvests data from scares me; the idea of them following with a public-use OS terrifies me, except for the fact it would diversify operating system usage away from Windows' monopoly slightly.

That just about covers what I was going to say.

While I'm sure if they had the motivation to develop an OS they could probably pull it off decently, if their other forays are an indication, their personal information/privacy interests would be worse than Microsoft's. I wouldn't trust it not to feed/sell my information.
ocalhoun
If it were linux-based, but with good 3D support, much better wireless networking support, and better emulation, I would go for it, but otherwise I would just stick with linux.

Ankhanu wrote:
I wouldn't trust it not to feed/sell my information.

Same here; I wouldn't want to use it as my main internet surfing computer!
chipbricks
In now days OS eats to many resources to make easy tasks, they are to complex. So I think in market exists hole for lightweight system for small web notebooks. If google have resources to make such OS personally I am will be happy. And if it will be open source, than it will have a lot of modifications.
v3nil
Google OS is ok...
think of something new...
wat about Google Phone.. Razz
gh0stface
Wasn't Google working with Ubuntu a while back to create a linux distribution based off of Ubuntu?

I thought I remembered reading/hearing about something like that. It was a while back. I'm wondering if they stopped that as nothing new has been heard?

Or maybe I am just going crazy...
sulavaryal
rumors have been floating in the internet world about google developing their own OS long ago i read it somewhere.
FunDa
Google will probably release an OS for cloud computing. All your stuff will be online in Google servers and every single application will be Google .

U'll use the Google Chrome browser to check your Gmail and Use Google Docs to make your "Powerpoint" presentations.
thetinyclam
To be honest....with like 90% of the world using Windows, even Google won't be able to make a dent in Windows' market share. For most companies, Windows XP is the standard along with the Office Suite. People are unwilling to relearn a new set of standards that is both inconvenient and unnecessary. As great as Google is, they are overextending themselves in a lot of areas and one of these days they will crash.
snowynight
I don't think there is any point in a new os. You know windows is enough and google needs only to occupy the internet marcket.
moofang
gh0stface wrote:
Wasn't Google working with Ubuntu a while back to create a linux distribution based off of Ubuntu?

I thought I remembered reading/hearing about something like that. It was a while back. I'm wondering if they stopped that as nothing new has been heard?

Or maybe I am just going crazy...

Yes, in fact a google-flavoured version of Ubuntu HAS been produced, but is used only within google, and there are no plans of distribution.

I see no reason for google to concern itself with an OS now though. Time is not ripe.
welshsteve
I agree. There is no need at all for Google to get involved in the desktop OS market. It should stick to developing web applications
mcrong
I think google use a OS same Linux, The world vote 99% linux is free virus, Free resource System, Linux is bigest server such as google.
Developer can use linux with graphic well Laughing
mcrong
I think google use a OS same Linux, The world vote 99% linux is free virus, Free resource System, Linux is bigest server such as google.
Developer can use linux with graphic well Laughing
mehulved
ocalhoun wrote:
If it were linux-based, but with good 3D support, much better wireless networking support, and better emulation, I would go for it, but otherwise I would just stick with linux.
Doesn't that in a way describe android? Just that it's competing on cell phones market and not on Desktop/Server market. But, the rate of growth is higher in cell phone market and also they have better control over the consumers read higher level of lock-in.
Bengt
Google wants to develop web apps for the people, not an OS Smile
leosthenerd
A google OS would be kick-ass, man.
toxictux
there was a rumor that they have their own version of Linux for internal use only. no intentions of putting it out to public. it is base on Ubuntu and branded for Google. can you guess the name???

yeah Goobuntu Razz Laughing Mr. Green

but i think release OS for them is going away from their push of web based everything.(docs, chat, etc)
{name here}
A long time ago there was a mention of their very on Linux distribution being used internally, but never released. There is a google OS, but it's not quite what you expect. Then there's their handheld OS. But I don't think that they'd release a serious fully functional desktop OS any time soon. Revenue is that much more easily generated by web apps and ad-supported programs than an OS.
dickyzin
I'm almost certain they will come up with Google OS. I think they will start with the portable devices (PDAs) and expand from there.
thadnation
Technically, there is a publicly available Google OS. It's call gOS, or Good OS. It's based off of Ubuntu and is more or less a 600mb google app link farm.

Seriously, though. I wouldn't want a google OS. I don't trust their privacy practices, they'd screw it up, and everything they do is a little bit quirky, which is not what I want my computer to be. I mean, Chrome was a nice idea, but it pales in comparison to nearly every other browser. For now, I'll stick with Linux or Solaris.
balend
Google doesn't need to release their own OS simply because they have a friendly relationship with many linux ditros. For example. GoS has almost entirely icons that link to different Google services.
keemuph
I would like to, if they release one, I'm sure it will rock because Google improves and they are really dedicated with their products and services so if its about an OS, for sure it will beat Windows.
pedepy
i think google already has ventured in that market with the gOS found on some netbooks and i think using linux as the basis for their operating system with their own brand of 'cloud-based' software could one day proove very profitable.
moofang
For the record gOS is just another Linux distro (Ubuntu-based, I believe) and not directly affiliated to Google at all. It is simply designed to run lots of Web apps on the desktop - most of them Google gadgets.

As previously noted, as far as most people are concerned, there are no indications nor are there good reasons right now for Google to venture into the (desktop) OS market.
snowynight
Will google use linux based stuff as the new os? Then it is desparately wrong. Because there are fedora redhat and ubuntu.

will it invent a new os different than mac linux or windows? The I can say for sure no one will pay to use it.

so i believe it is just not possible. maybe a google supported free windows will be better. Laughing
LostOverThere
I can't see Google pairing with Microsoft for anything any time soon. Google and Microsoft currently have quite a fierce competition between themselves with the online market, specifically search engines. And I'm sure remember what Steve Balmar wanted to do to Google. Wink
[FuN]goku
If google launched their own OS, the world would implode. Lol
Parkour_Jarrod
TBh wouldnt suprise me if google did release a OS i mean i think what google's going to do is what Buy N Large did in WallE and over take teh world, next us president GOOGLE CEO
leosthenerd
I wouldn't mind a google OS, but I hate cloud OSs so it would have to be desktop based.
froginabox
Google wouldn't, shouldn't, couldn't have an OS.

It would come pre-installed with Chrome... base all the default searches on Google... maybe even collect some data for their services.

Wait. That sounds familiar. What other technology giant has been sued for anti-competitive practices for that... hmm.... Wink
mehulved
[FuN]goku wrote:
If google launched their own OS, the world would implode. Lol

It hasn't so far. Google has already released an OS. And the best part is most of the people don't realise it. Google has already come out with Android. Google very well understands that future is portable devices somewhere between the laptop and the mobile phone. Thus, instead of going for the desktop/laptop market, they've targetted mobile phones. That too for good reasons. One being the amount of control in hands of mobile phone manufacturers and service providers is much higher. Also, the competition is easier on the mobile phone market for OS's as compared to the desktop, where MS has a huge chunk. Plus, when using their phones people will tend to use online applications more, this takes the consumer to google's stronghold.
deanhills
I both like all the Google features, as well as am worried about all its layers of invasive bots, i.e. privacy issues, so symbolically, would be very wary and trust Google even less than I do Microsoft Explorer right now. I agree with Ocalhoun about Linux, although I am not experienced with it, but have only heard good things about it. If someone can bring out something that is Linux based, I will definitely give it a try.
mehulved
deanhills wrote:
I agree with Ocalhoun about Linux, although I am not experienced with it, but have only heard good things about it. If someone can bring out something that is Linux based, I will definitely give it a try.
Google with android?
FunDa
Google launcehed their own Operating system for mobiles the Android.

And with the android store and the developer tools, I think soon, it will have absolutely every sort of software you can think of. Especially with the open source movement in full swing.

And when mobile phones become faster and bigger (in terms of screen size and utility), NAdroid will start running on UMPC (Ultra Mobile PC) and move over to run on laptops and desktops too.

Will the world implode ? Probabaly.
Nick2008
The size of google and it's popularity on the internet is tremendous. You hear people every day:
"hm.. where should we go tonight, lets search Google"
"Hey, I uploaded my new document on Google Docs, check it out. "
"I like Google Chrome for it's simplicity."
"Lets plan our company events on Google Calendar."
"I will build my new website on Google Pages."
"Hey, I'm buying the new Google Phone today."
"Ok class, today using Google Earth we will explore the terrain of the Earth.
"Lets upload my video on Google Video."
"Heard that we have the new Google Wi-Fi in our area?"
"E-Mail me on my Gmail account."
"Hey, meet me at my Google Group."
"I'm installing Google Checkout on my website."
"I use Google Translate to communicate with my clients."
And the list just goes on.

Google may be capable of making a new OS, but I'm not sure if it is in Google's interests. I don't trust Google that much, probably will not switch to a Google OS, unless it has a lot of new features that interest me, better hardware, and it's not a memory hog.
zeusmorg
Interesting proposal, I can see google launching an ad baised OS, why not? it has been done before, however would it be worthy enough to stand up against other free or open source operating systems?
outofnicks
I think that Google has done enough already, seems like they want to monopolize the internet. Fine if they develop their own OS thaty you can use on your computer but I am going to stay away from the whole cloud computing thing, for the most part. I like googledocs and have some spreadsheets up there, and use it for reading PDFs online but I don't rely on that in a big way.
albuferque
I wonder why Google would release an operating system?

Google Docs is one of the best ideas I've seen.
Google Docs can satisfy most of "mortal-user" quotidian needs.
I mean, the future of Personal O.S. is online platform, so it can access his/her documents globally.
Online-OS are the most innovative things I've recently known about.
Rolling Eyes
bloodrider
If they launched a SO for IBM computers they would have a hard work to impose their SO, Microsoft it's to well disseminated Razz
Probably their target will be the mobile market Wink
welshsteve
Google won't release an OS. The more likely scenario would be that Google offer a complete online desktop that looks like a real computer desktop with icons for launching stuff such as Google Mail, Docs, Calendar, Earth etc
FunDa
I read somewhere that Android was run on a netbook. Then it does qualify as a computer operating system.

But have to check out the news once agaon. Do mention here if anybody finds more details about running Android on anything bigger than a smartphone
aningbo
hey is google coming out with an Operating system!!? i havent heard of this. and if they havent said a word of it. why bother with this topic?
hunnyhiteshseth
I think this would clear most of the doubts related to compatibility of Android & PCs:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20090105-android-netbook-port-leaves-some-pondering-google-os.html
BlueVD
Goole has it's own OS... unix derived, but it's running their servers.
And I recall reading quite some time ago that they do not foresee the reason to start developing a user based OS in the long term future.
However, if they were to start work on an OS, I guess it would have to be *NIX based.
Can't imagine what the UI would look like, but I believe it would be tightly connected to the Google apps and SDK's that they provide.
tiagoeq
Google will dominate the world
FunDa
aningbo wrote:
hey is google coming out with an Operating system!!? i havent heard of this. and if they havent said a word of it. why bother with this topic?

Google has released a Mobile Operating system called Android !!!
And it has been made to work even on some netbooks (small laptops) not by Google themselves, but by smart people who wanted to experiment.

If they were able to run it on a netbook, very soon the same system can be run on a desktop too.

Complete portability from mobile phones to laptops to desktops to supercomputers !!!!!!! Woot !!!!!!!!
dickyzin
This topic is a bit out of date now. Google Chrome OS is on the way. Maybe time to close this thread off.
Fire Boar
dickyzin wrote:
This topic is a bit out of date now. Google Chrome OS is on the way. Maybe time to close this thread off.

The irony in this post is too much.
FunDa
Yeah !! Google OS is really ready. Can't believe it was not just Android. What will Google do next ?

Laughing Laughing
milleja46
Yeah that would be awesome but google may or may not do it because they are probably happy as they are without a os for computer would like to try that one for phone.
Ghost Rider103
I really don't see the point in keeping this topic open anymore.

If someone thinks they have a relevant reason to keep this open, please PM me.

Until then, this will remain closed.