You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help me find 64 Bit Freeware!

Hello people.

I just bought an HP Pavillion dv4, 2.3 Intel Centrino 2 (Dual Core), 4GB RAM, OS: Windows Vista Home Premium. Naturally, I find out after I walk out the store that I have the 64 bit version of the operating system. I'm looking for freeware, pure and simple freeware, NOT adware, NOT paid by subscriptions, NOT Free Trials.

Important: If anyone knows anyway to run 32 bit programs on a 64 bit operating system without dual booting/installing another OS, please let me know. If there is some kind of environment that I can create using some software, thats cool. Thanks!

Firewall - I have a firewall (Comodo Pro, for those of you in the same predicament check it out).
Antivirus - Avira Works fine.

What I need:

- Good CD/DVD Burning Software.
- A replacement for PowerISO that works on 64 bit.
- A good media player that isn't WinAmp. (Note: I have VLC, looking for more functionality.)
- Secure Erase Utility
- Screen Capture Utility that isn't CamStudio
- Good Download Manager (+Functionality)
- Something like... (does Meebo have an IM Gadget thing?)
- DVD Ripper
- CD Ripper (For god's sake don't tell me to use Windows Media Player).
- An Alternate to Skype. (Need Video via Webcam and Audio).

Thanks in Advance.

And hey, please don't hesitate to post, people. Download links are also nice (if you arent feeling lazy). Don't forget 64 bit compatibility is Essential!!

MPC-HC is awesome and support 64bit
for the rest I'm not sure Razz

for capturing no windows installers so you probably need to compile it Wink if you do I would be nice if you share it but then there is probably another open on

I suggest that you look up on

also firewall??? heh I don't use 3rd party firewalls after XP SP2
Infrarecorder is a decent CD/DVD burner
HyperCam is an ok screen capture program, although it can be a bit laggy at times, and unless you pay for it, it will have a small icon in the upper left corner that says "Unregistered Hypercam 2"
ISO Recorder allows you to create ISO's of CD's/DVD's, if you need that
that's about all i can think of right now
ProfessorY91 wrote:
If anyone knows anyway to run 32 bit programs on a 64 bit operating system without dual booting/installing another OS, please let me know.

I'm not sure what you mean.

64-bit OS will run most (if not all) of your 32-bit software prefectly.
Windows does it using WoW64 emulation.

Have you encountered any 32-bit software that wouldn't run on your 64-bit Windows ?
I have 64-bit Windows and if a certain software doesn't have a 64-bit port, I just use the 32-bit version.
Hello mOrpheuS,

I figured that that was the case (and I'm supposed to be tech-savvy...). If a process is running 32 bits, it has sample.exe*32 at the end of the process. However, the very first program I tried to install

Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall

Refused to install on my computer at all. Even though fadirocks mocks me for having to use a 3rd party firewall, I happen to be impressed with this one.

Either way, I got freaked out and worried about which programs would work and which wouldn't.
I suppose I could do a remote install from my XP computer and see if the thing runs... but thanks for your time anyways.

The suggestions above, weableandbob & fadirocks, are awesome. Thanks for the input.

This site is regularly updated with 64-bit software releases -

Hope you can find suitable alternatives.
Greetings to Everyone!

DVD Fab is freeware that does rip (through WOM). is a great site for various Open Source apps.
Also, since you did mention freeware, you could try office suite. It runs in both 32 and 64-bit environments and it is FREE. And, it is (Yes!!) supported by Sun Microsystems.

As far as emulators such as wow64 ... I'm still looking.

Hope that Helps.

Have a Great Day Everyone!

Install 32 bit windows and no problem!