FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sarah Palin: Iraq,"God's plan","a task that i

handfleisch
Quote:
GOV. SARAH PALIN: He's going to be deployed in September to Iraq. Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God. That’s what we have to make sure that we’re praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God’s plan. So bless them with your prayers, your prayers of protection over our soldiers.

Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSGkWHLHZuQ

What is there to say? Can this person really so close to being Vice president, and potentially president?
Moonspider
handfleisch wrote:
Quote:
GOV. SARAH PALIN: He's going to be deployed in September to Iraq. Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God. That’s what we have to make sure that we’re praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God’s plan. So bless them with your prayers, your prayers of protection over our soldiers.

Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSGkWHLHZuQ

What is there to say? Can this person really so close to being Vice president, and potentially president?

What's wrong with that prayer?

Respectfully,
M
ocalhoun
Oh no! Palin wants to have a holy war with Iraq!
Oh, wait... we're already at war there, aren't we? So what's the difference?

Anyway, what we're trying to do there now is to restore safety, stability, create a more tolerant government, and a more prosperous people. Surely, that could legitimately be seen as work done in the name of God.
Bikerman
Err...whenever politicians tell you that a war in being conducted in the name of God then you should be very nervous. I suppose we are more cynical in the UK - when Blair briefly tried that line he was met with almost universal scorn.
Moonspider
Bikerman wrote:
Err...whenever politicians tell you that a war in being conducted in the name of God then you should be very nervous. I suppose we are more cynical in the UK - when Blair briefly tried that line he was met with almost universal scorn.

Perhaps I read it incorrectly, but I believe she is praying that national leaders are acting in God's will, not claiming they are doing so. She is praying that they are not doing something against God's will. "I pray that they are doing the right thing," she might have said.

Respectfully,
M
Bikerman
Moonspider wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

Perhaps I read it incorrectly, but I believe she is praying that national leaders are acting in God's will, not claiming they are doing so. She is praying that they are not doing something against God's will. "I pray that they are doing the right thing," she might have said.

Respectfully,
M

I have to say, when I re-read it again carefully, I stand corrected.
handfleisch
Don't let her off that easy. For any government representative to mention "God's Will" in relation to war (while standing in a Christian church no less) is a major problem. I am sure it's normal in Iran and Saudi Arabia, but last I checked the US wasn't a theocracy.
Bikerman
Oh, don't misunderstand me - I don't like politicians mentioning God at all. The role of a politician is a civil secular one, not a clerical religious one.
Here in the UK there is a long-standing tradition that politicians (particularly party leaders) keep their religion as a private matter. There are a few notable exceptions, but on the whole this is accepted.

My correction above was to my previous posting - I wrongly read the Palin quote as a statement, not a question, and one should acknowledge one's mistakes Smile
Moonspider
handfleisch wrote:
Don't let her off that easy. For any government representative to mention "God's Will" in relation to war (while standing in a Christian church no less) is a major problem. I am sure it's normal in Iran and Saudi Arabia, but last I checked the US wasn't a theocracy.

You're entitled to your opinion, but either a person practices their faith or they don't.

Taking Christianity for example, a person who claims to be a Christian but then doesn't try to involve God in their decision making process (especially major decisions) isn't really a Christian IMHO.

But like Chris pointed out, how they (politicians) choose to behave publicly is a different matter. In the instance where she was quoted above praying, I understand it and sympathize with her. I think a humble prayer more appropriate for the circumstance and more meaningful to the gathered family and friends than any other statement she may have made.

Respectfully,
M
handfleisch
Moonspider wrote:
handfleisch wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion, but either a person practices their faith or they don't.

Taking Christianity for example, a person who claims to be a Christian but then doesn't try to involve God in their decision making process (especially major decisions) isn't really a Christian IMHO.

But like Chris pointed out, how they (politicians) choose to behave publicly is a different matter. In the instance where she was quoted above praying, I understand it and sympathize with her. I think a humble prayer more appropriate for the circumstance and more meaningful to the gathered family and friends than any other statement she may have made.

Respectfully,
M

It wasn't so much a humble prayer as a war-cheer from the pulpit. It's the ugly mixture of religion into politics where often the louder the politician is about religion, the more hypocritical he (or she) is.

I'm just glad that people seem to be recoiling from Palin, even if it is more for her shallowness and incompetence than her combining of her elected position and her extremist Christian background.
jmi256
handfleisch wrote:

It wasn't so much a humble prayer as a war-cheer from the pulpit. It's the ugly mixture of religion into politics where often the louder the politician is about religion, the more hypocritical he (or she) is.

I'm just glad that people seem to be recoiling from Palin, even if it is more for her shallowness and incompetence than her combining of her elected position and her extremist Christian background.

What makes asking for a prayer “extreme” in terms of Christianity. Prayer is actually a core belief.

And is it really that bad that a mother ask others to pray for her son's protection when he's going off to war to protect his/our country? If you don’t want to pray for him and his comrades, then don’t. But those of us who choose to have that right.

Religion has been injected in politics from the beginning of this country. Whether a person is a public servant or not shouldn’t preclude her from practicing her faith. So just get over it.

Next thing you’ll know you’ll be advocating burning all religious books and forcing anyone who practices Christianity to wear a cross on their clothing.

You’re obviously just a very angry person who doesn’t like Gov. Sarah Palin. You must be a treat in person.
ocalhoun
Quote:

Fixed.
petecnmi
I believe Sarah Plain has her personal God. Must be, He is so different from the God I believe in. Mine abhors war, advocates peace, knows that He created Earth millions of years ago, didn't think about putting us humans here until much later when the planet became sort of boring when the Dinosaurs disappeared. Not the same God, I am sorry to say.

Mentioning God or Allah in any major political speech is a very immature move in today's world. OK if a regular citizen does it, but a potential VP? Scary! But what do you expect of someone who reads every published newspaper every day but doesn't remember the name of a single one Smile

Pete
DinoBob
Quote:

I agree. Glad someone corrected it here. I've heard this quote misunderstood numerous times in person so far. -.-U - I don't agree with much of what I've learned of her policy, but that doesn't mean you should disregard what someone actually intended to communicate. And there doesn't seem to be much more to read into to it, except that that's just how she chooses to voice her concerns.

jmi256 wrote:
handfleisch wrote:

What makes asking for a prayer “extreme” in terms of Christianity. Prayer is actually a core belief.

And is it really that bad that a mother ask others to pray for her son's protection when he's going off to war to protect his/our country? If you don’t want to pray for him and his comrades, then don’t. But those of us who choose to have that right.

Religion has been injected in politics from the beginning of this country. Whether a person is a public servant or not shouldn’t preclude her from practicing her faith. So just get over it.

Next thing you’ll know you’ll be advocating burning all religious books and forcing anyone who practices Christianity to wear a cross on their clothing.

You’re obviously just a very angry person who doesn’t like Gov. Sarah Palin. You must be a treat in person.

Hmm.. So how exactly did you get to that conclusion at the end? Looks like you skipped a few beats on that response.
James007
Be nice to each other please. Attack or defend Palin as much as you want, but not each other.

Thank you.