FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Point for reporting





LukeakaDanish
Hi all,

I think it would be good, if users who create useful reports of topics/posts/users get 1 or 2 points once the report is read and found useful.

Your helping the community, so why not get points for it?
rvec
hmm should be possible, the reporting user is stored with the report, and mods could click on 'good report' or 'bad report' instead of handled.
ocalhoun
rvec wrote:
click on 'good report' or 'bad report' instead of handled.

That would definitely have to be there, or you'd get reporting spammage.
Perhaps a 'bad report' could take away points? Otherwise, some might decide to treat it like a lottery and report nearly every post.
tidruG
Hmm, yeah, maybe we could do that.
On the other hand, it would be an unnecessary load and involve more coding to send a PM or some kind of notification to let you know that your points have either been added or deducted.

Also, if points are deducted, there would be arguments...why was my report bad? I had valid reason for reporting it...etc etc.
rvec
why deduct them? You also don't deduct points for bad posts. Just don't give any points.

Also the pm wouldn't make a lot of difference, it's just one row in the database that has to be added.

I think the pm should just be a notification when you get extra points, not when nothing happens. So only when a mod thinks you reported a bad thing (good report) you'll get points and a pm. Then the users not getting a pm would have as much reason to reply as the users now have when a post they reported doesn't get edited/spamcanned.
ocalhoun
rvec wrote:
it's just one row in the database that has to be added.

More importantly, it would be a little moderator time wasted, and if there were too many of them, the legitimate reports would be lost among all the fake ones. Though, I suppose it might be enough to warn and/or ban users who abuse the system.
LukeakaDanish
ocalhoun wrote:
rvec wrote:
it's just one row in the database that has to be added.

More importantly, it would be a little moderator time wasted, and if there were too many of them, the legitimate reports would be lost among all the fake ones. Though, I suppose it might be enough to warn and/or ban users who abuse the system.


Exactly. Just use the brilliant AWIT system to punish anyone who cant behave, and noone should abuse the system.
Helios
Once again, kind of a good idea but not very practical Laughing
LukeakaDanish
How is it impractical?
rvec
and how is it once again? Razz
tidruG
rvec wrote:
why deduct them? You also don't deduct points for bad posts. Just don't give any points.

Because if there's no deterrent to spamming reports, then we'd get a lot of users who might just report anything in the hopes of getting that report accepted and getting points for it.

ocalhoun wrote:
it would be a little moderator time wasted
No, all replies would be standard ones. The moderator would just do his action, be it "Ignore" the report or "Accept" it and take action, and the corresponding standard PM would go out.
Bockman
Is this something to add to Bonding's To-Do list?

More than waste to the Mod's time, I think all of us know by now how "expensive" our coder's time is....

And honestly, there are A LOT of more important things waiting in that list.

Be Well Cool
rvec
yeah it's something for the to-do list. This is far more important than blogs and he even found time for that.

Also the users spamming reports wouldn't be logical for max one point each. And most users probably don't even read any rules or such so won't know about the rule. It will of course make users report more posts, but that's a good thing.
LukeakaDanish
tidruG wrote:
rvec wrote:
why deduct them? You also don't deduct points for bad posts. Just don't give any points.

Because if there's no deterrent to spamming reports, then we'd get a lot of users who might just report anything in the hopes of getting that report accepted and getting points for it.

ocalhoun wrote:
it would be a little moderator time wasted
No, all replies would be standard ones. The moderator would just do his action, be it "Ignore" the report or "Accept" it and take action, and the corresponding standard PM would go out.

I disagree with most of that.

1: no deterrent for spamming reports --> yes, that should give the user an AWIT. That should be a sufficient deterrent.

2: Detracting points from users makes filling a report less attractive. That's like a punishment for trying to help the moderators. Therefore only report-spamming should be something punishable, not one-off bad reports.
tidruG
  1. I agree.

  2. Again, I agree. I was merely pointing out what I perceived as the shortcomings of this idea so that someone might be able to come up with solutions.
LukeakaDanish
tidruG wrote:
  1. I agree.

  2. Again, I agree. I was merely pointing out what I perceived as the shortcomings of this idea so that someone might be able to come up with solutions.

Yea, of course...so I thought up solutions Wink
Donutey
Or maybe have it so that users get more points, the more popular a particular topic that they have created is. (ie the number of replies to a post)
Blaster
ok i am just going to say this. I really didn't read the topic so this might have been touched on but here it goes

You should report topics not for any award but because it is the right thing to do. This would cause more reports that arn't really anything. its like this... if you were to give 1 dollar for everyone that calls 911 then 911 would be called for more reasons. Now sure they could be reasons that are legit but sometimes they on't need to be.

Also you want to keep this place clean. Its like your house. You should clean it because you want to not because you get something out of it.
isranet
i think so too
snowboardalliance
Blaster wrote:
ok i am just going to say this. I really didn't read the topic so this might have been touched on but here it goes

You should report topics not for any award but because it is the right thing to do. This would cause more reports that arn't really anything. its like this... if you were to give 1 dollar for everyone that calls 911 then 911 would be called for more reasons. Now sure they could be reasons that are legit but sometimes they on't need to be.

Also you want to keep this place clean. Its like your house. You should clean it because you want to not because you get something out of it.


Kind of a weird metaphor with 911. This is more like returning pop cans, you get a deposit back in real life.

I don't really care too much either way, but it is probably good to encourage reporting (as long as you only reward good reports and punish report spammers). Just pointing out that reporting is more of helping someone clean up than like trying to save someone's life.
Bondings
That might be a good idea and maybe not that hard to implement actually. I'll try to do it, but can't promise anything. I'm not sure about sending a pm though. Also, only adding points for reports that were acted upon (topic/post removed), not removing points.
Ghost Rider103
Sounds like a good idea to me as well.

Though if this does ever make it into our system, then the report function sure will be getting used A LOT more.
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:
only adding points for reports that were acted upon

Now how come none of us thought of that? That's definitely the best way to do it.
Related topics
Macromedia updates Web conferencing tools
The Unofficial Jokes Thread
Point to the user online
Any new games to recommend?
Help on point system
Points question!
Man shot in London not connected to bombings...
"terrorist" my thoughts
Whats the point of MMORPGs these days?
What's the best way to design a site?
Rester sur le forum
Dems: these are merely the facts
Parked Domain Maintenance functions?
1 Terabyte Mail account
News Forum
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.