FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


What's the best way to design a site?






What's the Best Way to Design a Site?
With Tables
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Using CSS only
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
With Tables and CSS
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Other (Graphics, PDF, Java)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Tiger
Until recently I have always designed my site layout using tables and plain html. However, I have noticed the huge debate over tables/no tables which has been going on for some time now. Recently, I noticed comments in another forum that XHTML/CSS (using <DIV> tags) is the *only* way to design site.

So I browsed through the source of some CSS files, and about two days ago I designed a site from scratch using CSS - no tables. The problem I noticed is that the layout doesn't seem to be 'fixed', which leaves me with the impression that a site with dynamic content would be all over the place, especially when float:left/right is used for example.

I'm sure that the fact I'm a CSS novice has something to do with it, but I'm still not convinced. At this point I am of the opinion that a combination of tables and CSS is the best way to go.

I would appreciate hearing from some professionals on this.
SamiTheBerber
Tiger wrote:
The problem I noticed is that the layout doesn't seem to be 'fixed', which leaves me with the impression that a site with dynamic content would be all over the place, especially when float:left/right is used for example.

The problem might be in browser, because when I used that it worked in FF, but not in the crap IE. It was nice in FF and I'm sorry to all IE-users that they couldn't see the beautiful of some pages Sad
budazz
i did a tables and a css for my site...see it

http://exodus.frihost.net

sign the guestbook please Very Happy
nolit
In my own opinion, It depends on the site you are working on. Each site really has its own character and requires its own design. A simple site may work with a simple table (sometimes no table at all). But if you are going to make one that works all over the pages, then you should indeed use CSS, and maybe php for proper templating.
CrimsonStrange
nolit wrote:
Each site really has its own character and requires its own design.


I'll agree with that, wholeheartedly.
Irregardless of what codes, techniques or styles you utilize, the site you create as your personal website should represent... you.
Your visitors should be able to get a good representation of your personality through your site.

When I first started working on a personal website of my own, I thought that I wanted it to have a specific layout & template & design... and basically be a carbon-copy of a lot of other sites I'd been seeing on the 'net.
They seemed trendy & popular, so I thought that would be the way to go.

But at the same time, once I began seeing the results of all those templates & layouts, it seemed really rigid and sterile.
And it just wasn't reflecting anything about me or my ideas.

So, like nolit said, "Each site has it's own character".
Whether it's gaming or RPG-related, a tutorial site, or just something about you... the design should reflect the central ideas/subjects.
|Li-Ngage
CrimsonStrange wrote:
nolit wrote:
Each site really has its own character and requires its own design.


I'll agree with that, wholeheartedly.
Irregardless of what codes, techniques or styles you utilize, the site you create as your personal website should represent... you.
Your visitors should be able to get a good representation of your personality through your site.

When I first started working on a personal website of my own, I thought that I wanted it to have a specific layout & template & design... and basically be a carbon-copy of a lot of other sites I'd been seeing on the 'net.
They seemed trendy & popular, so I thought that would be the way to go.

But at the same time, once I began seeing the results of all those templates & layouts, it seemed really rigid and sterile.
And it just wasn't reflecting anything about me or my ideas.

So, like nolit said, "Each site has it's own character".
Whether it's gaming or RPG-related, a tutorial site, or just something about you... the design should reflect the central ideas/subjects.


I agree! No point having a great site ripped from others....
threezeroone
For me, the best way to design a site is by using tables and CSS. Mine is made up of both and some scripts to make things work better (especially for the menus). But it depends on how you want your site to be designed. But make sure that it looks good and not annoying. Smile
silentpark
css and tables are usefull..

but i think it diffrent from kind of site to kind of...
Related topics
the best driver site ever
Post here your best game site links.
The best flash site!!!!
Best Designed Websites?
The best site for learning JavaScript
best frihost website layout/design/functionality
Graphical Design Site
CMS vs. Design Site
my best flash site!!!
www.dean23gfx.co.uk - New Graphic Design Site!
What is the best science site?
whats your best mp3 site
Best web site design tips.
best advertising site
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Webmaster and Internet -> Design Tips

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.