FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My own (legal) Online Music Store ?

filesharing
If I already have the technical stuff (software, server, team), where do I get the licences to sell the music ? Do i have to contact the labels (= which means a lot of work, there are a lot of labels out there Very Happy ) or is there a franchising system (for example with iTunes etc.) where i can get the licence to sell songs ?

I am talking about main stream music, popular artists like madonna etc.

thx 4 your answers !
LukeakaDanish
You have to contact the labels. And they wont let you.

Unfortunately thats just the way it is.
Helios
^ Why not?

He said a store, not a radio service or something.
Labels will be happy to sell more!

As far as I know, yes, you need to contact each one.
JinTenshi
each and everyone if you don't want to breach copyright laws. a hassle, but maybe you could start earning big if you have the capabilities of promoting your website. =) good luck
colosus
Napster, Imesh, Morpheus plus others all broke copy write laws. What did the labels on the other hand do? They said of course you can sell our music just stop giving it away free. I say if they turn you down then do something to make them change there mind. Like give it away free!
catscratches
Why would we need another store for mainstream music? There are already lots of them out there.

What would be good is a store promoting some really good independent music.
filesharing
my ideo was to offer music in high quality, not just 196kbps mp3's
slashnburn99
start with local bands in your area

build from there once up and running with client base, they can advertise on your site and all the rest will work itself out
officernarc
filesharing wrote:
If I already have the technical stuff (software, server, team), where do I get the licences to sell the music ? Do i have to contact the labels (= which means a lot of work, there are a lot of labels out there Very Happy ) or is there a franchising system (for example with iTunes etc.) where i can get the licence to sell songs ?

thx 4 your answers !

i'm pretty sure that to do it "properly", you have to sign licensing deals with each artist individually. or at least, with someone on their behalf. though, i'd really suggest you actually speak to people at the labels. oh yeah, and make sure you get a lawyer - or better yet, a team of lawyers - because the big record labels will probably do what they can to screw you over.
hummer010
filesharing wrote:
my ideo was to offer music in high quality, not just 196kbps mp3's

I think this is a good place to start. I'd be more interested in buying music online if it was actually good quality.

The downside to this is that you have to pay for additional storage and bandwidth, not to mention the other licensing issues.
daefommicc
filesharing wrote:

thx 4 your answers !

why BUY music? no1 buys music in nation like india (considering u r 4m here) as far as i know, u need to contact d officials 4m d label...