FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

good HDD partition software

frih
i want to create a partition on my hard disk. Is there any good free software available for making partition??

i am using win xp
Indyan
WIndows XP and Vista both have a built in partition manager. In XP it can be accessed from Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Computer Management-->Disk Management.
frih
Indyan wrote:
WIndows XP and Vista both have a built in partition manager. In XP it can be accessed from Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Computer Management-->Disk Management.

please write the complete step for Disk Management...
fadirocks
I don't have vista but on my xp
start --> run --> diskmgmt.msc

I'm not sure if it's the same on vista

but usually i use Partition Magic when it was owned by PowerQuest but now owned by Symantic bah

usually i use my linux to partition stuff nowadays using QTparted which is found on most linux distros
Indyan
frih wrote:
Indyan wrote:

I already gave the complete path to Disk Management. not sure whats the problem. Alternatively you can directly launch it as suggested by fadirocks.
fadirocks
Indyan wrote:
frih wrote:
Indyan wrote:

I already gave the complete path to Disk Management. not sure whats the problem. Alternatively you can directly launch it as suggested by fadirocks.

hmm maybe he is trying to split an existing partition using diskmgmt without losing data, is that possible on vista? because on my xp nope diskmgmt is very simple and only can do few functions
bissoboa
Quote:
Is there any good free software available for making partition??

Frih you ask for free software. A good solution can often be found with linux...
you shall boot a livecd and use cfdisk that is easy and effective.
Then come back to Win XP Cool
Indyan
I dont know about Vista but Xp certainly doesnt allow resizing of partition. I dont know any free software that does that. There are many paid alternatives though, like Norton Partition Magic.
But, the OP simply stated that he wanted to create new partitions. For that Xp's disk management is good enough.
aningbo
you can try with the windows xp cd. but then back up your files before you go on with the partition.
frih
hai guys i am talking about

"How to create partition from existing partition?"
bissoboa
Quote:
How to create partition from existing partition?

I suppose you mean creating a logical partition from an extended one... don't you?
realtrue
There are two possibilities that I know
1. Partition Magic:
Key Technologies
Partitions hard drive
Create, resize, copy partitions
Run multiple operating systems
Features
Divides hard drive into two or more partitions
Runs multiple operating systems on the same PC
BootMagic™ makes it easy to switch between operating systems
Copy, move, resize, split, or merge partitions
Guides you through the partitioning process
Easy to find, copy and paste files in both Windows® and Linux® partitions
Create and modify partitions up to 300GB*
Supports USB 2.0, USB 1.1, and FireWire® external drives**
Supports and converts partitions among FAT, FAT32, NTFS, Ext2, and Ext3 file systems
Enlarge an NTFS partition without restarting computer
Resizes NTFS system clusters to the most effective size

And the other possibilities is:
Paragon Partition Manager
Professional tool for easy and safe partitioning

Partition Manager is the best tool available today! It provides flawless partitioning operations of all kind: resize, merge, split partitions and redistribute free space, initiate new hard drive, convert to different file systems and much more.

But becareful to use partition manager, because the risk is data lost. Therefore back up your data first before perform partition to your hardisk.
welshsteve
I agree with Paragon Partition Manager. I've used this on a number of occasions and found it very easy to use.
moh853
Partition magic for windows and gparted for linux are simply the best but for some simple tasks you could use the disk manager of xp found at control panel>computer managment.
k_s_baskar
We can partition HDD using Windows itself. if you want you can go hard disk partition software provided by manufacturer itself for free of cost. Widely used hard disk like Seagate/samsung are having separate disk partition softwares which can be downloaded from relevant site for free of cost.
Kelcey
As far as I know, the windows partitioning tool is the only free thing you can use. It's not too hard to use. But it's kind of funky also.