FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rare Coin Value?

Ratmaster
Hey, I collect rare and foreign coins (outside of the US) as well as old coins, and I was wondering if someone can help me find out some info on some of the coins I can't seem to locate on the internet.

I have a few coins that I just started to look at, and I want to know if anyone can help me in finding their value or if they are real or not?

1. I have a 1946 wheat penny, which has a composition of a lightly magnetic material (not as magnetic as the 1943 steel penny). This penny first gave me the impression that someone either used a pencil on it (as it looked in very good condition) but it was too light. It is very metallic looking, but the thing that threw me off is that the rim was dark brown. It makes the same sound as a normal penny when it hits something, which makes me believe it isn't counterfeit.

2. I don't know if this is a gag coin or not, but I have a 1979 nickel, but there is something very strange about it. It only has an obverse and the rim; the coin is hollow, and the inside of it has a circular pattern, but it looks and feels real. The reverse is completely missing.

3. I have this very old coin. It has the Star of David on the front of it, and it really looks like it was made a long time ago. It has some sort of blurred images on the reverse, and numbers that look like "1285" (not sure if it for the Christian years or the Jewish years) and it has some other writings above it, and I can't make them out.

I will post some images when I can get them on my computer.

Thanks.
Afaceinthematrix
1) That wheat penny isn't worth much. It's probably worth a little more than wheat pennies from later years, but it's still not worth very much.

2) I've never heard of that... That's unusual.

3) I simply have no clue about that.

I also like collecting coins (mainly old U.S. coins). My most recent findings are a buffalo nickel from the 1930's and an Indian Head penny from the 1800's. Neither are worth that much. I also like collecting bills (like silver certificates).
Ratmaster
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
1) That wheat penny isn't worth much. It's probably worth a little more than wheat pennies from later years, but it's still not worth very much.

Maybe... but it really stuns me for the penny to look chrome, and it actually does stick to a magnet, even know the connection is very weak.

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
2) I've never heard of that... That's unusual.

It really puzzles me, but I think it might be a gag. I don't know if it would be legal to do something like that, as it would be required to have "COPY" engraved on the front, but it looks and feels like a regular nickel, except for the fact that it has nothing inside it and the whole back is missing.

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
3) I simply have no clue about that.

Eh, it was a bit of a bad description on my part. I am going to have to upload a picture.

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I also like collecting coins (mainly old U.S. coins). My most recent findings are a buffalo nickel from the 1930's and an Indian Head penny from the 1800's. Neither are worth that much. I also like collecting bills (like silver certificates).

Yeah, I like finding the older coins as well, as for the job I am working at, they are extremely easy to find. I am very interested in those types of bills, even though I have never seen one. I don't think I will come across any if I just look for them (though, the bank gave me a 1953 2$ bill, but it was in extremely bad condition) so my best bet would be to buy them.

Thanks for the input. Smile
Afaceinthematrix
Ratmaster wrote:

Yeah, I like finding the older coins as well, as for the job I am working at, they are extremely easy to find. I am very interested in those types of bills, even though I have never seen one. I don't think I will come across any if I just look for them (though, the bank gave me a 1953 2$ bill, but it was in extremely bad condition) so my best bet would be to buy them.

Thanks for the input. :)

There are a lot of interesting bills like that. I like the bills even more than the coins (although the coins preserve better). I find most of my coins at work, also. I work at Sears, so when I'm counting the register before we open or after we close (mainly after we close since school started up again), I come across interesting coins that people pay with. I always keep change in my pocket so that when I come across them I can switch them and put my own nickel (or whatever) in the register and get the buffalo nickel (or whatever)!