FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wikicode

tony
If anyone is interested, my main site on frihost is Wikicode. It's a wiki running on the MediaWiki software like Wikipedia. The site is a database of free-content code scripts and snippits licensed under the GNU FDL. Anyone and everyone may add/edit code on the site.
Tiger
tony wrote:
If anyone is interested, my main site on frihost is Wikicode. It's a wiki running on the MediaWiki software like Wikipedia. The site is a database of free-content code scripts and snippits licensed under the GNU FDL. Anyone and everyone may add/edit code on the site.

Hi Tony!

I've had a look at your site, and although it's still 'small', it's a big idea, and I hope that it does really well. The more people share their code, the more people benefit.

The CMS I am using also uses PHP 'snippets', and I tried setting up a script for that - like a document library, but of course a wiki really is the best way to go!

I plan to visit your site on a regular basis and check how things are going. If I can, I'll contribute too. Thanks for the good idea and free service - I really hope it grows. I wish you all the best!
tony
thanks for the support. hopefully, it will grow into a useful resource for all programmers.
Grimboy
Isn't that a bit of a security risk for people who blindly copy code? Also I think that link is broken.
tony
Grimboy wrote:
Isn't that a bit of a security risk for people who blindly copy code? Also I think that link is broken.

First of all, thanks for pointing out that the link was wrong. I made it .com instead of .net - but it is fixed now. Second, I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean by a security risk. If you are talking about licensing, the database is licensed under gnu fdl just like wikipedia. Is that what you meant?
Grimboy
A lot of people blindly copy scripts from these sites. If someone edited it to do something malcious then that would be bad. Maybe just a bit of warning to check the code on the front page or something. Except for then that can get edited.
thornhawk
Hey Tony,

I liked your site. I was wondering what powered Wikipedia, and now I know! Orginally I dismissed wiki's as being unimportant and useless until I realised that it helps with group assignments... the only prob now is trying to install one on a free host. We'll see what frihost is like.

Did you find it hard install MediaWiki?
RosenCruz
great site Tony..although I m not a coder aswell I am interested even...good job..
tony
thornhawk, no it is quite easy. just go to http://mediawiki.org and download the file. Then unzip, upload, access the site through your browser and follow the directions.

grimboy, the beauty of the wiki software is that if someone edits code to make it malicious, each and every edit is recorded in the history of each article. ideally, it can be discussed in the talk pages and reverted if it needs to be. thats how wikipedia combats vandalism. also, the main page is protected so only i can edit it.
pldunbaracademicteam
wow. that is a really cool idea. I love the site!
tony
hey thanks for the support! i hope it can be a good resource for programmers.