FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chairs - How does one sleep on them?

What would you rather rest you're weary man body on?
soft/firm home mattress with individually wrapped springs?
77%
 77%  [ 17 ]
A devil chair, might as well be made from human suffering
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 22

houdney
I recently found myself in hospital with my wife spitting out child no.3. Cute little room, labor suite, but only one chair. No recliner. No husband's courtesy bed. Just a chair, a little padding with a hard back. Now let's bear in mind that a female human's labor can take over a day. That's a long time shifting, turning, folding, experimenting with positions, padding, warmth. So how do you do it?

I found that with a combination of an adjacent wall, two coats, a hospital blanket and darkness, I was able to sleep in such discomfort that I'm sure I heard a disk slip.

Any anecdotes of chair pain you'd like to share?
ptfrances
Funny post... Very Happy Very Happy
missdixy
I would have put a blanket on the floor and a sweater or something under my head for a pillow and slept on the floor...much more comfortable than a chair.

Also, I really don't like the term 'spitting out' when it's referring to childbirth as you used it. That just sounds disrespectful.
houdney
It depends on the cleanliness of the floor and the floor covering, concrete - unappealing. In some situations I would have chosen the floor. However, there were many midwives running about and the situation didn't allow it. If she had given birth as I slept it would have been counterproductive, and I didn't want a mouthful of placenta as I snored next to the other parts of my family.

Saying 'Spitting out' a baby isn't disrespectful as it's my child. My wife also gave birth through her mouth.
tony
I've heard similar issues with airplane seats although I personally do not have much trouble with them.
friuser
sleeping on chairs isn't that bad. It's definately not too good on the back but major complaints is the leg room. I don't and wouldn't even consider a bus trip if my leg room isn't big enough so that when I'm tired my knee wouldn't touch someone's elses back seat. In my younger days I would take a bus to mohegan from new york city and that is nearly a 3 your trip each way and those asian buses are killer especially when the person in front of you dares to recline their chair.
PatTheGreat42
I can sleep pretty much anywhere. Beds, chairs, under chairs, on top of other people, on top of their luggage, and with cats. Cats are furry and warm, ya know.
Fatality
I have a hard time sleeping on anything that isn't flat. I would have tried to sleep on the floor as well.

...maybe the hospital wants to torture husbands that think they can rest in comfort while their wife has to give birth? Being a guy, I can only imagine a lady saying something like that.
Kaseas
I would sleep under the chair.

I remember once pulling an all nighter, then while sitting through presentations in class, I drifted off, and suddenly found myself on the floor, apparently having fallen off my desk, in the middle of a presentation.
houdney
lol kaseas, i have a huge amount of envy for your classmates sitting behind you who witnessed the whole escapade.

Fatality, I don't know why we have to go through the torture after the nine months of abuse.
Arty
houdney wrote:
My wife also gave birth through her mouth.

o.o really?
endless
sleeping on chair is easy, i'd just curl up and use a blanket as a blanket&pillow =3
did it once ^^ i can also sleep under the small tables, so i guess i can sleep everywhere
c'tair
Anywhere, almost. As long as a floor is softened by some material I can get a few hours of sleep. Chairs are out of the question unless I can find something to rest my legs on, else I prefer the floor.

I also had to take quite a few 4-40 hour bus trips, and I have to say, the worst thing is knees that get no stretching and the neck, which just wobbles around according to bumps on the road.
mtorregiani
It's impossible for me to sleep in a chair. I need to be on my bed, or at least horizontal Laughing
apple
houdney wrote:
I recently found myself in hospital with my wife spitting out child no.3. Cute little room, labor suite, but only one chair. No recliner. No husband's courtesy bed. Just a chair, a little padding with a hard back. Now let's bear in mind that a female human's labor can take over a day. That's a long time shifting, turning, folding, experimenting with positions, padding, warmth. So how do you do it?

I found that with a combination of an adjacent wall, two coats, a hospital blanket and darkness, I was able to sleep in such discomfort that I'm sure I heard a disk slip.

Now this post did make me laugh! Laughing

I work late, sometimes really late...and when I need a rest I sit back on the chair and lean my head back on the wall. Its not ideal but if you're tired enough...it feels like heaven!

Congrats on baby No. 3
Its a boy or girl?

As for the term 'spitting out'....I know most other women will hate me for it....but...
that's what made me laugh so loud! It was FUNNY!
houdney
thanks apple, it's a girl.

I also noticed for any single gents around the internet (are there any?), if you want the lady females to swoon over you, just carry around a new born baby. It's mental the amount of attention can be gained by allowing your new person to become as useful as possible as soon as. They'll thank you in later life.

Although I'm married and would therefore not require any of the said attention.

Seriously though, mental.
spring567
I go to sleep only on the bed.
terrywalsh
when my partner was in labour i slept the first night on the chair but i was in pain the next day but when my son was born, it didnt mater were i slept i was walking on the clouds,
Jaan
Well it is spitting out kids right?? one, two, three, four!
haha i'm JK but it's a funny term...

and yes it is possible to sleep on a chair, only if you're really tired... and i would do it by putting a box on my knees and putting a pillow on the box and resting my head on it... works like a charm
Kae_Azule
Sleeping in a chair, I do that all the time. I just nod off and there I am. It doesn't bother too much. The best way to sleep in just a chair is to just sleep sitting up.
apple
houdney wrote:
thanks apple, it's a girl.

I also noticed for any single gents around the internet (are there any?), if you want the lady females to swoon over you, just carry around a new born baby. It's mental the amount of attention can be gained by allowing your new person to become as useful as possible as soon as. They'll thank you in later life.

Although I'm married and would therefore not require any of the said attention.

Seriously though, mental.

you got any pics?
TheOnionRack
Congratulations on the baby! Razz

My advice to get rid of that acheyness, is to keep moving. Stretch and stand up every now and then. As for making that chair more comfortable to sleep in, I don't know how to help you.

I can sleep in chairs, but only if they are comfy. The fact that I cannot sleep on planes is proof of this. I just sit there for hours watching movies on my laptop, getting all sore and achey. The pillows they give you on the flight never help.
hlavco
Eh, I'm pretty sure I can only sleep laying down. Though sometimes pulling all-nighters I feel like I could fall asleep in class the next day, but I've been able to avoid it. Also, I can absolutely never fall asleep in a car, no matter how tired I am. Dunno why.
houdney
yes apple, I do have pics. I've taken pictures of all my kids.

When I was a kid, about 12 or 13, I used to deliver milk (a popular job in the UK a daily to-your-door service) and I fell asleep climbing out of the truck. Door open, one foot in the cab, one on the step. Christ knows how it happened.
Zombie
We don't have many choices in the poll. And I've never heard of a chair/mattress hybrid.
winmark
Probably they (the hospital administration) thought the fathers will be excited enough to spend the night fully awake. Laughing
jenss
Maybe they want the fathers to be as uncomfortable as the mothers. Seriously though, I perfer to sleep at work with my head propped up in my hand. It's comfy. And I can even be totally awake from one second to the next. Someone standing behind me? "What can I do for you?" Seemless. I've tried to kick the habit, but work is so utterly boring.
loonix
rofl, as cool and manly the 2nd option appears to be - I still like comfyness :p
raine dragon
I'm a short, flexible girl, I would have curled up in a ball on the seat of the chair, or turned around backwards, put a blanket on the back of it and slept leaning against it..

but I'm creative, I've slept under tables and on the backs of sofas before >.>;
sulavaryal
on the chair no.Under the table yes. I need to be able to stretch my leg. Sleeping on the floor is a good idea.
bigt
My last visit to the hospital was late into the evening. We ended up waiting in a room in the back for over an hour. With only 2 chairs in the room, and me not the patient, I had the regular, old, semi-padded chair. I ended up putting it next to the wall to use as a head rest. Some sleep is better than none, but I would have been going out of my mind if we had been there more than a few hours.

houdney wrote:

justtj
i always prefer a chair rather than a bed Razz
more suited for body and keyboard Wink
Project01
only in bed or in sofa... xD chairs are very uncosy...
biljap
I sleep in a chair but only for some short time I really need to relax while I work… it is not comfortable at all, it hurts, but… You get up and stretch. Wink
soljarag
i fall asleep in my computer chair all the time (sad, i know) sometimes I lay my head on the desk... other times I just lean back
bobnorth
i've never slept on a chair...i could'nt i would stay awake for ever.
Vladalf
Eh I'm lucky at this one. I have a weird chair that has the back leaned a little and usually when I have to study much I put some pillows on the chair and I put my feet on my desk. It's so comfortable I usually fall asleep on it.
Vladalf
Melacos
Well, Roskilde Festival 2007 has taught me loads concerning chair-sleeping. With a flooded tent, and soaked clothes, the alternative to going home was placing our camping chairs inside of the tent, and covering yourself with the - more or less - soaked sleeping bag. Definitely one of the coldest nights I've ever experienced, and that together with the alcohol pumping around the body - made thoughts on the actual chair, less important...