FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Age for a credit card

reiika101
Hello guys. I see many of my friends owning credit cards and such, so I was wondering if I could have one. I'm trying to convince my dad if I could have one but he says I'm too young to have own one. I think it's easier because it is better than to ask for cash all the time. Anyway, I'm 15-17 (just guess). So, what age can you start owning a credit card? Question
brokenadvice
Here is the question: do you have a job? If not then you will have no money to pay off your credit card. I suggest you just use cash and not get into the bad habit of spending money you don't have.
friuser
eighteen is the magic number but you can get it early by just having someone add you on their existing credit card. My cousin recently did their first credit card with discover. They are the easiest to open I think if you just provide them with some college information. Though you probably should get a bank account in the first place so you can setup payment on your credit card website directly to your checking/savings account. Either way you can do it yourself at eighteen but if you want it younger you need a legal guardian to go with you.
jeepee
so far i know is the age 18...
ptfrances
I think it's 18 as well. But maybe it depends of the countries as well

Wink
coolclay
What would you use a credit card for that you can't use cash? I have credit cards but I never spend money that I don't have. That's just stupid. Like Broken advice said you shouldn't have a credit card if you don't have income or a job of some sort. The way most people treat credit cards is the reason why the US is having the problems we are currently people spend money they don't have, and then they end up going bankrupt, and everything goes to sh1t.
RosenCruz
credit cars is something like alcohol...its addictive and should be used responsibly.... Wink i think you should have them when you earn your own money Arrow
Afaceinthematrix
Age doesn't really matter; responsibility matters. Do you make your own money? Do you control yourself and only buy what you need? That's the key. Some people, like me, can handle a credit card because I only buy what I absolutely need. I am known among my friends and family as being one of the most frugal people that they have ever met. That's the key to a credit card. You have to be responsible when using it. Pay it off every month.
bloodrider
Are you talking about a credit card or a debit card? That's two different things...
If you're talking about a credit card, at your age it's absolutly stupid, you probably don't even work so how would you pay? Only if you're a rich boy with no sense of money...
I can say you, I'm much older than you and I don't have a credit card and I'm not thinking on having one. The banks already takes to much fees from me...

If you're talking about a debit card, in my opinion by the sixteen it's OK, if you've an account and your parent don't mind. It's usefull, you don't have to have money with you all the time, you only need the card to withdraw. But don't forget that you'll have acess to much more money so you'll easily spend it fast, and if I was your parent I wouldn't refill your acount till the end of the month Razz

PS: And about your friends, what does it matters? Do you really feel inferior only because you don't have a card? Laughing Some years from now you'll see how stupid that is Wink
Donutey
Credit cards should only really be used on a monthly basis, (pay off at the end of the month, then you don't really pay much in interest) if you have a balance running from month to month you probably should reign in you're spending, or else use the financing options when you bought anything which are generally cheaper. Credit cards are therefore pretty much only good on a month to month basis, or more likely for any emergency cost that came up.
standready
reiika101 wrote:
I think it's easier because it is better than to ask for cash all the time.

Well, besides 18 being the legal age that most places will let you apply for a credit card, I think responsibility MUST be considered. From your comment, I can just see you running up a huge bill for your parents to take care of without thought to where the money comes from to pay the bill.
snowboardalliance
standready wrote:
reiika101 wrote:
I think it's easier because it is better than to ask for cash all the time.

Well, besides 18 being the legal age that most places will let you apply for a credit card, I think responsibility MUST be considered. From your comment, I can just see you running up a huge bill for your parents to take care of without thought to where the money comes from to pay the bill.

I've had mine since I was 16, but I also have a job and I always pay it off on time (thanks to my mom for getting me in good habits). Anyway, you can pretty much get it under 18 but be careful if you have no income.
spring567
I think it depends you father . There is no problem if he would help you .

reiika101 wrote:
Hello guys. I see many of my friends owning credit cards and such, so I was wondering if I could have one. I'm trying to convince my dad if I could have one but he says I'm too young to have own one. I think it's easier because it is better than to ask for cash all the time. Anyway, I'm 15-17 (just guess). So, what age can you start owning a credit card? Question
crimson_aria
I think it's 18. but like what most people said here, as long as you have the money to pay the bill, then go.
polly-gone
Here is what you should do. Go to Wal-Mart or some store and pick up a parent/student reloadable card. These things are genius. They are intended for college students but anyone can get one. All it is a two piece card that snaps into two separate cards. The first card (the student card) can spend money. You can use it just like a credit card, and you can put more money on it yourself if you want. The second card (the parent card) is the alternative for asking for cash. Your Dad can go to any store, they scan his card, he pays them an amount of money, and that money goes onto your card. It's like a credit card except your parents are directly supplying it (you said you are sick of asking for cash). You could also just put your own money on and it becomes way more convenient.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
Oddw1re
For a credit card it is 18 but you can get a bank card or an electron card which is sort of like a credit card for younger people.
RosenCruz
Oddw1re wrote:
For a credit card it is 18 but you can get a bank card or an electron card which is sort of like a credit card for younger people.

nice idea....they are useful...and allows you to spend the money you have !
PatTheGreat42
My credit card is about a 1/2 year old, why?
Alaskacameradude
Look at the big problems the U.S. economy is in. Guess what the whole mess comes down too?
People spending money they don't have! Credit is one of those things that people have been 'convinced' that they need! You don't need credit! I have never used it....if I want something I save up money
until I can buy it. I'd say if you don't have a credit card, that is a GOOD thing, you are not developing
bad spending habits that most people have nowdays.
sondosia
I got my first one when I was almost 16. It's not really about your age, it's about your maturity level. Can you be trusted to have a credit card and not spend money ridiculously? Can you pay your bills on time and have good credit? Then you should have one.
Fatality
I agree with what a lot of posters are saying. I think I got mine when I was 17 or 18. However I all depends on whether you have a job, are mature enough to know how to manage your spending and know the value of spending your own money. Sometimes when young people get "plastic" they think they can just go spend all they want because it doesn't cost them anything up front, but then when the bill comes they have to ask for help paying for it. I think your dad has been right so far in protecting you from this, but there does come a time when you need to learn life lessons for yourself. If you believe you are ready and know you can be responsible with it, then maybe start to give your dad reasons to trust you with one.
Kaseas
Credit cards are eeeeevil. I'd stay away from them. Because you're always tempted to spend what you don't have. And they keep on raising your limits, so when you go to apply for a mortgage, they subtract all your credit card limits from the amount they'd lend you. Trust me on this, I'm a Commerce student, stay away from the plastic money. Get 1, maybe 2 for buying stuff online, booking hotels, etc., but generally try to stay away.
Liu
I never understood how people can just spend money on a credit card with out thinking ahead. I pay my credit card off once / twice a week. It's the same thing as spending your own money. The only difference I see it (besides not having to pay right away) is that I get to build credit and receive awards points, and the ability to debate possible fraud charges. The fact that it offers more security than a debit card is way more reason to get it than using a debit card. I hate carrying cash as well, because I lose the change I receive -- ie losing money.
snowboardalliance
Alaskacameradude wrote:
Look at the big problems the U.S. economy is in. Guess what the whole mess comes down too?
People spending money they don't have! Credit is one of those things that people have been 'convinced' that they need! You don't need credit! I have never used it....if I want something I save up money
until I can buy it. I'd say if you don't have a credit card, that is a GOOD thing, you are not developing
bad spending habits that most people have nowdays.

I have a credit card and I've never bought anything with money I don't have. I guess I use it more like a debit card, but I have a credit card simply because it works practically EVERYWHERE. Anyway, I know what you are saying, credit cards are horrible for people who spend money they don't have, but you can be responsible with a credit card (as in paying it off in full before the due date every time).
bonestorm74
I think here you need to be 18. To be honest, I think that's way too young for most people, unless you have great restraint with your finances at an early age. I wouldn't encourage anyone to have one until mid twenties. By then you gain more of an appreciation for the world, and how far money goes, and what it's like paying for rent, food, family etc.

Until then, it probably better to be in as little debt as possible. I didn't have a credit card till I was around thirty. Now I find it very handy of course but I'm very responsible with it also.
ankitdatashn
I would say it really depends how you are. If you are a person that wants to save more than spending or who want the credit card for utility than for luxury then you can have it at any age which is legal to have one. What is important is knowledge of spending and saving. These two S are very important in real life for good living.
ftv_flung
Don't make the money situation worse for yourself!!!

But seriously, as long as you have enough money in your bank account, it should be alright if you are responsible enough. Check with your parents. See what they think first.
hofodomo01
Yeah, especially when you get into college, and credit card offers start pouring in, and you have to spend a lot for books, food, etc., it's very easy to get into a bad credit situation.

Most banks only allow minors to have a dependent account anyways (i.e. only your parents have access to withdrawing funds). Though having such a credit card is a good thing, since it allows you to slowly build up a credit history (no credit history is just as bad as a bad credit history!)

But eventually, all you need is a general use credit card, a department store credit card, and a gas credit card. Don't get more. Maybe throw in an American Express or something...
PennyLane
normally you need to have a steady income and you need to be 18 or older (this is the case in Belgium, and I think in a lot of other countries as well...)
Melindor
In Belgium you need to be 18 years old to get one and even then at that age someone will have to stand bail for it.
Dean_The_Great
The real question is, why do you need one? 'Cause at your age (whatever it may be), getting a credit card is a very bad idea if you think you might carry a balance. It's different if you have that minimum wage part time job and you just want the iPod now and you don't want to wait until the end of the month... but when that bill arrives, I hope you have the cash or you're going to be in a world of debt by the time you're 25. And that's no good, sir.
goutha
For me a credit card is like cash. If you will give a 10 years old boy 50$, why don't you give him a credit card and tell that his limit is 50$.

I think that young people can become more responsible if their trained how to use credit card in a good way.
mrcool
To have one credit card is enough. It is very essential to have a credit card because it is very convenient and safe to use while bringing some money which is unsafe. A lot of robberies happen anywhere. Also, if you know debt and you pay on time, there is no problem about having credit card. you should know how to use it properly. Here in our country, people can have a credit card if you are a professional, have a good salary statement and if you passed their standard as they have a personal background checking.
IceCreamTruck
reiika101 wrote:

It's not your age that is important. It's having a job, and an income that is important when dealing with credit cards.

Your dad will not feel comfortable giving you one because it's like handing you $500 instead of enough money for gas, movie tickets, and dinner...probably $100 on a good night.

Just like your dad probably doesn't hand you $500 when you ask him for $100 is the reason he isn't willing to give you a credit card. Sure it makes some things easier, but generally it works like this...

It's a SERVICE YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR!!! Why would your dad pay someone else to give you your allowance every week. Read more online about credit card stragies, and how to improove your credit especially while you are still young.

Credit cards don't work the way you think that they do, and you are heading for some serious trouble unless you up your own knowledge of credit cards, and how credit works.

It's like anything else in life...the more complicated....or the more easy something is...the more you will end up paying for it.

Here's a plan...work so hard that you don't have time to spend money and you'll end up a success for sure. Smile

Oh, and GET A JOB!!! Stop worring who's going to give you what, and go out there and TAKE SOME for yourself. nuff said cause you are old enough to work hard just like the rest of us.
watersoul
18 is the age here in the UK, need a regular source of income, and no bad credit history.
I wouldn't bother though dude, just save up for everything you need or want and then at least you can say everything you've got is yours without owing anyone anything!
I don't know where your from but we also have pre-pay cards available here where you top the credit up at a bank or store etc, so you get the convenience of a visa (online purchases and the like) without the problems of debt, I think these are open to 16 year olds as well, good luck.
gtherockgod
I turned 18 back in May and just recently got my first Visa credit card. I mainly only got it to be used for online purchases, like concert tickets, and to set up Paypal/Ebay accounts and such. Being a guitarist/musician, it makes it a lot easier to scope for cheap gear. Im very responsible with it and I pay off every purchase immediately. I have no intentions of ever risking bad credit.