FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Leaving Mp3 device plug in all Day..Is this Harmful

Possum
Hi

I have a creative stone. It takes me all day to get a good play list ready to listen to at work so I just plug it in and leave it on my computer (well past the time it takes to charge) Is this practice harmful to the battery.

Cheers Possum..
ForceRun
I have a Blackjack II cell phone, and I leave it plugged in all the time and it seems fine after 3 months now. still good battery life. I think the wisdom currently pasted around is on the first use a of battery charge it all the way up, then use it all the way up before changing it the second time, after that do as you would like.
fadirocks
i know for my lappy it totally warns me NOT to drain the battery all the way down or leave it uncharged otherwise the battery gets some dead cells oh totally fry

for my toothbrush it's the same, it says keep it charged up at the station all the time

so I think same goes same for all Lithium ion batteries
psycosquirrel
Yeah, you want to leave it in. It is better for a battery to have a full charge than no charge.
Jaan
i think its a simple question in essence:
much like devices, humans can be thought of in terms of 'recharged' or 'drained'.

it is harmful for us to be completely 'drained' and we recover after several days.

now here comes the comparison:
devices and humans are the same! you should not drain either to the extreme. instead, drain them half empty, and then recharge, for a much longer lasting human/device.

^my input

cheers
prithvi
hmm, good discussion.

I used to think that charging the battery every now and then reduces its lifespan.
So I often used to use up more than 90% of the power and then go on to recharge it fully (rather than frequent short recharges).
aningbo
not too sure bt people say, when you recharge the battery, do it to the maximum (full recharge) and not in half-half
ssthanapati
First try to find out if it has a Lithium Ion battery or NiCd or NiMH battery... If its Lithium ion battery then try not to darin the battery below 40% unless needed. Better to keep it fully charged. But when it comes to Nickel based battery then its better to discharge them completely before u recharge them again.