FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

the most expensive software in the world

tadssa
What NON Server software is most expensive in the world, would like to know top 10 ??
try to guess ..
wumingsden
Hmmm ... I have no idea, but I know Adobe software, especially photoshop, is pretty expensive. Like $700 I think Shocked
balend
The most expensive software I know of is Adobe's Master Collection which is more $2,000
Flakky
http://www.naturalmotion.com/index.htm

I guess that has to be very expensive, I can't remember the pricing but the full prof.. version costs like 3,000$. Now they took the tag from the site.
tadssa
well for "custom" software i think it would be the software that microsoft made in conjunction with vairous police departments to aide in the caputre of pedophiles i think the liscnce is around 4 mill US.

but for commercial software i think Softimage Face robot is $94,995, its a high end facial animation software.

but i heard there's more i will update later
LostOverThere
Hmm, Pixar's Renderman rendering software is very pricey and can cost up to $3500. Of course, this is professional, and incredibly powerful software so the price is somewhat justified.
swizzy
i have heard CORE IMPACT Pro costs for than $50,000 and that is available only for huge companies... Exclamation
Josso
Most likely some kind of tailored software for a government agency or big company. Algorithms like Pagerank are probably worth millions.
fadirocks
well for general public there are tons of super expensive ones
the company used to make 3DS max they had software that were super expensive

here is a fast search and I found Maya is well
http://store.autodesk.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=adsk&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&productID=81677700

$5,000

AutoCAD Map 3D 2009 $6,000

for non general public stuff like dental and medical office software are very expensive also this post

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/230261-49-what-saoftware-expensive-world

i bet that was you asking!!!
weableandbob
Highest i've ever seen is Sony Vegas Pro 8
aningbo
why bother when i can get it downloaded for free... hehehe

pirates rule... educational purpose Wink and when like it, buy it. i dont know if anyone buys it.
Flakky
aningbo wrote:

pirates rule... educational purpose Wink and when like it, buy it. i dont know if anyone buys it.
I don't think that a student with a skateboard can buy any of these products Razz U PIRATE xD
HalfBloodPrince
Gyarr, matey Wink

I think Avid's video editing software was $2,500+
silverdown
I would have to say any Microsoft Operating Systems because you buy and it 2 days later you need assistance which cost money. Then after you get help you need help to undo the changes since it just made it worse, so more money getting your computer reinstalled (if you don't have a reinstall CD). Then after you update your computer files are toast so you need more support, not to mention the phone bill!
HamsterMan
aningbo wrote:

Or alternatively, you choose whatever open source software is the equivalent of the software you want. No need to pirate em. *said the guy in a pirate bay t-shirt*
Studio Madcrow
It's probably some 3D editing package. That stuff is expensive.
Flakky
silverdown wrote:
I would have to say any Microsoft Operating Systems because you buy and it 2 days later you need assistance which cost money. Then after you get help you need help to undo the changes since it just made it worse, so more money getting your computer reinstalled (if you don't have a reinstall CD). Then after you update your computer files are toast so you need more support, not to mention the phone bill!
You're overreacting, I never ever asked MS for help with any OS and I never ever had trouble with the OS in 2 days (did get trouble with specific software but they got fixed on day three).
jackill
Ship engineering software is very expensive. Few years ago I was reading about pirates, who stolen it and it was said that this software is worth 1 million $ Oo Very specialized soft must be very pricy Smile
HamsterMan
Try, the PlayStation 3 Development Kit. Now at only half price.

Buy your very own for the cheap cheap price of $10,250. (seriously I would love to have one of these)
dude_xyx
I think highend data bases servers like Oracle are expensive too.
SHARPBALL
The software from Autodesk hits the top 5 im sure

If you look ad adobe the master collection, you get the whole suite

If you look ad Autodesk you get one app and you pay the double of the Adobe Master collection.

If the only lower the price more people would pay for it.
tadssa
you may pay a lots of money for the Implementation Support Services of some applications , just like some ERPs
westcp
there is one:

cant remember the anme so guess that dont help but it was used to do designs on boeings etc / porch and the like

costs in south africa 60 000 for the basic and up to 100k i believe!

then again all software is pricy here

vista basic is like 1000 bucks
tadssa
1000 bucks is about 90 $ ? it's good price , it coast $199.95 USD or $99.95 USD to upgrade
welshsteve
Adobe's software is very expensive. AutoCAD is not cheap either.

I suspect the most expensive stuff is software we've never heard of though.
filesharing
CINEMA 4D XL Bundle: $2,495
Blaster
Some type of cad programs run for like 10,000. Like a user above me said Autocad by Autodesk is expensive. So are programs like Solid works.
GSIS
I used to install telephone billing systems (customised from a core system). IIRC everything from the initial sales agreement through business/requirements analysis all the way through to 6 months of post-implementation support usually worked out at around US$6.5M

I'd expect the most expensive software to be in use by NASA, or for national defence in the USA.
sulavaryal
holly molly such expense. Any discounts?
internetjobs
i think mechanical related designing software should be the most expensive one
{name here}
Using id Tech 4 (the Doom III Engine) for commercial purposes will cost you $250,000 upfront (for use of the full source code and the SDK). That's probably one of the most expensive pieces of software a civilian might see. Unreal could probably cost even more.

Simulation programs probably cost the most just due to their requirements. Space agencies such as NASA, militaries, and organizations like USGS and CERN probably have software in prices which cost millions or even billions of dollars. I'd imagine something like what ran ARPANET to also be incredibly expensive, being an expirimental back then.
shkhanal
Here too, nobody buys software for personal or educational purpose. Only organizations purchase them.
tadssa
right
soljarag
internetjobs wrote:
i think mechanical related designing software should be the most expensive one

Yeah, programs like Solidworks, Pro/e , CATIA are like $10,000+
filesharing
i think the software they use in CSI is one of the most expensive Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ajherer
don't forget people, to hold all this software, you will need A HUUUUUUUUGEEEEEE processor to hold it all.
curtis5000
no matter what...u will always get a free 1...so why stress ur brains...not worth it.
jwellsy
20 something years ago Autocad was my first exposure to high $ off the shelf software. Now the most widely available and used high $ software is Maximo for industrial maintenance planning and Primavera P6 for project management. Those are so expensive that most companies (even fortune 500's) lease it as part of a monthly web hosting solution package. Financial analysts will pay almost anything to have a competative advantage.

To get into the ultra high $ range is all propriatary stuff. Government and military software consumes about 90% of all super computing power in the world (ie Data Mining). We don't even know what all kinds of things they are running. Academia and industry uses the rest of the available supercomputing capacity. Industry is focused on multi-physics parrallel programing for virtual product development and testing even before they build the first prototype.

Given that the most expensive software is propriatary it's impossible to have an accurate ranking.
gandalfthegrey
Design software, including Industrial design, Graphic Design and Music creation software tend to be the most expensive ready-made software.

Custom software can cost millions to create.
aningbo
Renderware SDK-- $200,000

Source Engine - Estimated over $200k+

CryENGINE - Estimated Over $200k+

Softimage Face Robot - $94,995

VxWorks - $200,000

i would prefer pirated versions over all this or go back to primitive age instead of spending on this hehe