FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what do you know about the OU ?

tadssa
The Open University is for people who want to choose when and where they study. It's perfect for people with jobs, children, disabilities, or commitments that make it hard to go to a fixed place. And for most courses you don't need any previous qualifications.
jwellsy
I have never heard of the Open University. The vast majority of things that I've seen have been rip off scams.
tadssa
i understand , i liked to try my chance with them , they have a lots of choices i hope this one is different
Bikerman
jwellsy wrote:
I have never heard of the Open University. The vast majority of things that I've seen have been rip off scams.
The OU is certainly not a 'rip-off scam'. It is a great organisation that enables mature students to study at a high level in their own time. The teaching and resourcing are excellent (within the constraints of funding) and it is a well loved institution in Britain.
chatrack
I am new to Open University, is it an online programme for education. Or distant education programe?
Bikerman
chatrack wrote:
I am new to Open University, is it an online programme for education. Or distant education programe?
It is mainly distance learning. The OU does use on-line resources but there is more to it than a simple on-line course. OU undergrads are assigned tutors and meet up for tutorial sessions periodically. I am a strong supporter of the OU and have a few relatives and friends who have used the OU - with very positive results.
Their website answers most questions
http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/index.htm
WhistleTurning
Right folks firstly for the "friends accross the pond" this is a UK organisation, which was set up precisely to allow people who had left school and not had the chance to do higher education courses, and to become qualified in professional exams. It in the early 1970's so has been going almost 40 years and therefore was the first large and government supported distance learning facility. The early years (late 70's especially when I did my OU degree), you had summer schools (usually a week at a Uni some where in the country), and weekly meetings with others in the area (if there were enough on your course) together with a tutor. Initially grants were obtainable (like all Uni at that time) to help with fees, which made it easier for those not tso well off to get further qualifications. As the OU grew it had a perminant site in Milton Keynes, and even offered some degrees based there. Today however there is very little finatial help in douing any degree in the UK, so this type of learning (which now has lots more courses than just ones for degree acreditation) can become expensive.
gtoroap
Can anyone explain more about this? I never heard about Open University, and I'm interested... It's free?
tadssa
no it's not free !! check here : http://www3.open.ac.uk/studyatou/apply/ but you can apply for Financial support http://www3.open.ac.uk/studyatou/apply/financial-support.shtml
killianvillian
If you just want to learn, MIT has open courses online. THis is for people who love learning so much they do it for self enlightenment only. Because unfortunately, knowing everything is hard to prove without a piece of paper.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

Its a really cool site. It is an entry on the "list of things that make stopping time necessary to appreciate the internet"

BUt it also highlights, that without classmates, and a teacher, its hard to motivate yourself to finish a semester.
jomar
considering you graduated from OU and you are applying for a job, what would be the ensights of the company? will they treat you as graduate in a physical university?