FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Eternal McDonalds

quex
When considering fast food, one usually considers the nutritional value of the meal, pitted against the convenience and tastiness thereof. Right?

Here is something new to consider.

The next time you order a McDonalds hamburger (or one from any of several fast food chains), remember that what your are putting into your mouth, if left on a shelf for 12 years, would remain virtually unchanged.
HamsterMan
It's basically the same thing with margarine. It's completely dead. Leads to diabetes and tastes just awful in my opinion. And people still think it is healthy. It is widely believed that margarine is only one molecule away from being plastic. I'm however not so sure about that.
quex
HamsterMan wrote:
It's basically the same thing with margarine. It's completely dead. Leads to diabetes and tastes just awful in my opinion. And people still think it is healthy. It is widely believed that margarine is only one molecule away from being plastic. I'm however not so sure about that.

...where did you hear that? o.o I've never heard such a thing... isn't margarine just the solidified form of vegetable oil? An oleo?
bloodrider
I think the majority of us by now should be aware of the "quality" of "plastic food".
Sometimes I eat some fast food and it taste good Razz, of course it isn't the kind of food to eat every day Rolling Eyes, I care about my health Wink
Bikerman
Margarine is simply hydrogenated vegetable oil plus water. It is not 'one molecule away from plastic'.
For a more complete answer look HERE
HamsterMan
Or alternatively check http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/butter-margarine.htm .

I don't know about you, but I think anything that:

"lowers quality of breast milk"

"decreases immune response"

"Decreases insulin response" (aka causes diabetes)

"increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter"

should be avoided at all cost.
crimson_aria
I try not to eat at fast foods whenever i have a choice. but I have to admit that eating at them is nice too. just don't do it everyday.
RubySlasher
I thought the thing about margarine was something like that its molecules absorb some of the molecules of the plastic container it is held in.

Anyways, OF COURSE FOODS DON'T JUST DECOMPOSE AND TURN TO MULCH ON THEIR OWN.

This is why we have beef jerky and banana chips, which are both very tasty.

But that old burger looks rather plump and fresh, just goes to show how much oil and fat it has in it...

menino
Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter.

DO YOU KNOW... The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of Butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods. Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..

Very high in Trans fatty acids.

Triple risk of coronary heart disease.

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact....

HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but . . . . . ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC..

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* No flies, not even those pesky Fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* It does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic.

Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?
deanhills
I don't use margarine and very little butter only for flavouring, but I do believe that there are margarines out there that are better than others. So perhaps a good thing would be to read the ingredients and do one's homework first. The better margarines however cost a lot of money. Even the run off the mill margarines these days are expensive. I'm currently trying organic coconut oil for cooking, as it has a very long shelf life, also stays stable during cooking. I use very little quantity however. Fat has its place in a diet, but too much fat can't be good for us.

For MacDonalds, when I walk past the place there is always that awful smell of rancid cooking oil. I can't imagine eating anything that has been fried in it. I like their softserve icecream though. Not only is it low cost, but the vanilla flavour is really tasty and tastes like real vanilla. Only an occasional treat however. But that is my limitation in using McDonalds products. I'm not a vegetarian, but don't eat meat and very occasionally chicken. I always wonder about where the meat or chicken come from, and the level of processing steps before it got into those polystyrene packets with labels on them. I do like fish, and have that more regularly, however can't help wondering the same about that too. Sometimes one just have to close your eyes, relax and enjoy, otherwise none of it digests very well.

Still sallivating Solon's burgers though. He gave us a recipe sometime ago. Can imagine he would have been able to get excellent quality ground meat for it. Smile

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-106668.html#887298
Ophois
menino wrote:
Margarine is but . . . . . ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC..
Are people really this gullible?

Menino seems to have dredged up an online urban myth from 2003. This is word for word(punctuation too!) copy/pasted from something that landed in my(and many other people's) e-mail box five or six years ago titled "Butter vs. Margarine". I won't even dignify this margarine=plastic BS by citing a source to prove it wrong. If people believe this stuff, then they have gone way off the map.

Also, margarine was not invented to make turkeys fat. Do some research people, before you go copy/pasting this crap from your Spam box.

Quote:
Margarine was created by a Frenchman from Provence, France -- Hippolyte Mège-Mouriez -- in response to an offer by the Emperor Louis Napoleon III for the production of a satisfactory substitute for butter. To formulate his entry, Mège-Mouriez used margaric acid, a fatty acid component isolated in 1813 by Michael Chevreul and named because of the lustrous pearly drops that reminded him of the Greek word for pearl -- margarites. From this word, Mège-Mouriez coined the name margarine for his invention that claimed the Emperor’s prize.
http://www.margarine.org/historyofmargarine.html

As for fast foods...
The key phrase is 'Excess vs. Moderation'.
This just seems like common sense to me. A McDonalds burger is fine, from time to time.
Just don't overdo it...

It's funny how people use fast food as the 'go-to' item when they talk about the nutritional value of what we ingest. Refined sugar is probably one of the single most unhealthy foods/ingredients that we put in our bodies, while being one of the most widely accepted as 'normal'. People put a couple spoonfuls in each cup of coffee, a few in their tea, soda, juices, most prepared foods have a rather large amount... and the detrimental effects it has on our health is absolutely terrifying. Just Google the health risks of refined sugar and you'll see the nightmarish statistics and facts about this substance. It's completely artificial, man-made, like cocaine. And the effects it has on your body give cocaine a run for it's money. Hell, if we are talking about money, Pablo Escobar could never compete with the Sugar Cartels.

*EDIT*I noticed your homage to my burgers, deanhills. I made them again recently for friends visiting from overseas. I replaced the portabello mushroom cap with a few thinly sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. As I grilled the burgers, the veggies became saturated with the buffalo meat and seasonings, and were nice and tasty. I topped it off with feta cheese and called it 'The Minotaur'(Greek ingredients, get it?).*EDIT*
deanhills
Ophois wrote:
It's funny how people use fast food as the 'go-to' item when they talk about the nutritional value of what we ingest. Refined sugar is probably one of the single most unhealthy foods/ingredients that we put in our bodies, while being one of the most widely accepted as 'normal'. People put a couple spoonfuls in each cup of coffee, a few in their tea, soda, juices, most prepared foods have a rather large amount... and the detrimental effects it has on our health is absolutely terrifying. Just Google the health risks of refined sugar and you'll see the nightmarish statistics and facts about this substance. It's completely artificial, man-made, like cocaine. And the effects it has on your body give cocaine a run for it's money. Hell, if we are talking about money, Pablo Escobar could never compete with the Sugar Cartels.
This is really a very good point. Also good to know that simple carbs like bread etc. in excess also gets converted into sugar, and excess sugar into fat. Not to mention that some people are very sensitive to sugar and it may destabilize them, affect their moods and outlook of life. Like an unfermented version of alcohol. Those sensitive to it can easily become addicted.

Ophois wrote:
*EDIT*I noticed your homage to my burgers, deanhills. I made them again recently for friends visiting from overseas. I replaced the portabello mushroom cap with a few thinly sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. As I grilled the burgers, the veggies became saturated with the buffalo meat and seasonings, and were nice and tasty. I topped it off with feta cheese and called it 'The Minotaur'(Greek ingredients, get it?).*EDIT*
So I take it the visitors must have been from Greece ....... Laughing Laughing Laughing OK, I get it ..... Laughing Sounds like a good meal though.
chiragpatnaik
quex wrote:
When considering fast food, one usually considers the nutritional value of the meal, pitted against the convenience and tastiness thereof. Right?

Here is something new to consider.

The next time you order a McDonalds hamburger (or one from any of several fast food chains), remember that what your are putting into your mouth, if left on a shelf for 12 years, would remain virtually unchanged.

Very frankly, I quite enjoy McD's and KFC. This is in India of course, the recipes are slightly different.
Oh! and I eat it fresh. Not after 12 years Smile
Ophois
deanhills wrote:
This is really a very good point. Also good to know that simple carbs like bread etc. in excess also gets converted into sugar, and excess sugar into fat. Not to mention that some people are very sensitive to sugar and it may destabilize them, affect their moods and outlook of life. Like an unfermented version of alcohol. Those sensitive to it can easily become addicted.
A new Princeton survey(which I can provide a link to upon request, but I'm feeling lazy now) shows how refined sugar is as addictive as cocaine and heroine. And yet another study has linked excessive sugar intake to a higher risk of dementia later in life; not to mention diabetes, kidney, muscle and heart problems, strokes, etc. It's poison, and people shovel it down their throats all day long.
Quote:
So I take it the visitors must have been from Greece ....... OK, I get it ..... Sounds like a good meal though.
No, they are from Budapest. I just figured I would switch up the recipe a bit. I didn't make them so big this time either, I actually wanted people to be able to finish them.
furtasacra
HamsterMan wrote:

That "margarine is only one molecule away from being plastic" thing is complete nonsense, but some silly people believe it because cheap margarine TASTES like it's one molecule away from plastic.
disability
To me this information is a moot ;point since I woujld never, ever eat at McDonalds. I hate this place. I can't even call it a restaurant, eatery, dining spot or whatever.
Its called fast food because its fast. Its fast because it scrimps on quality and health
disability
deanhills
disability wrote:
To me this information is a moot ;point since I woujld never, ever eat at McDonalds. I hate this place. I can't even call it a restaurant, eatery, dining spot or whatever.
Its called fast food because its fast. Its fast because it scrimps on quality and health
disability
I don't think it is that bad, and some McDonalds are actually quite good. For me it is in the smell of the oil. One can easily smell rancid oil at a great distance, i.e. the rancid oil smell of some of the Kentucky Fried Chicken outlets. If the smell of the oil is not too bad, symbolically, the place should be OK to eat at. Most McDonalds these days also have some chicken salad and other entrees for the health conscious. My favourite at McDonals is their softserve icecream. The vanilla has a genuine vanilla taste, compared with even Baskin Robbins of which the Vanilla never quite tastes like Vanilla.
JayC
Someone could might be hating this fast food chain. However,yes this restaurant has a quick food and good services. I do like fast food which my favorite was a Big Mac from McDonalds.
gverutes
In response to the first post, I don't really even think McDonald's taste good. Maybe it's just because I know how bad it is for me, but I do not at all crave their food. It tastes like cardboard.
The only advantage is that it is quick and relatively cheap -- that's why so many poor people are hooked.
Navigator
Everytime I go pass on a McD I remember that movie Super Size Me and go away screaming.