FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Guitars!

speeDemon
Hey, i have one, do you?

I have an elec guitar, wid 3 pickups! amp. from effort, and ZOOM G2.1u distortion!

it makes a perfect match!

Any one out there got something to say?

which guitar do you have?
elec or acoustic....?

If you have any problems, you can ask them too, and any newbies are always welcomed for asking questions!
Mrs Lycos
I have a elec guitar blue (is beautiful) I love to play guitar, now im playing a acoustic guitar.
I want to play and sing a song called Nobodyes home - Abril Lavigne Smile
But i am just a noob in it Razz
Ankhanu
Though I'm a bass player, I also play a bit of guitar, and own three: 2 electric, 1 acoustic.
The electrics are:
.: Fender Aerodyne Telecaster
.: Godin Exit 22
Which I play through a 1972 Fender Twin Reverb amplifier, with no effects pedals in the way to muck up their tone Razz

My acoustic is an old Alvarez 12-string (very much like this one) that is set up as a 6-string. I got this thing for free and had to do a lot of work to make it playable. If I want to set it up as a 12-string I have even more work to do yet, including getting new tuning heads... and I'm not sure if the wood will still handle the extra tension of the strings, so I'll probably leave it as it is.
liljp617
Fairly cheap Ibanez RG:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG3EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=519784

The love of my life Dean From Hell:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/The-Dean-From-Hell-CFH-Electric-Guitar?sku=512157

The other love Cemetery Gates Razorback:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Razorback-Cemetary-Gates-Electric-Guitar?sku=520050

Randall cab:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-XL-Series-RS412XLTS100-400W-4x12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=605490

Randall head:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-V2-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=480329

Needless to say, I play a lot Smile
_AVG_
I have an acoustic guitar but I'm quite awful at it so I derive pleasure out of playing my favourite songs on Guitar Hero. Shocked
speeDemon
_AVG_ wrote:
I have an acoustic guitar but I'm quite awful at it so I derive pleasure out of playing my favourite songs on Guitar Hero. Shocked

lol!
rockstar
I have far too many!

76 Gibson SG Standard thats well past its prime and has been retired.
99 PRS McCarty Gold top. (wonderful!)
Parker funny shape thing with a humbucker and 2 single coils
2 Unbranded Tele copies. 1 fitted with Fender Pickups, the other with Seymour Duncans.
Vintage Bass

I might sell some as I have a new addition to the family coming, and I only really play the PRS and 1 of the Teles

I play through an Engl Screamer Combo plugged into a Marshall 4x12
Record with a 71(ish) Wem Dominator and a Pod V2.

I dont do pedals normally, as most sound awful, but I heard a Blackstar valve distortion thing at the weekend and it sounded great!
ddukki
I have a starter Yamaha Acoustic Guitar. Not the most fancy or prettiest guitar in the world, but it's sturdy and I'm not afraid to throw it around [figuratively speaking, of course]. I've had it for about three years, now, and it still looks like the day I got it.
rockstar
Yamaha have a habit on making very good guitars, at very good prices. Not the cheapest, but always good guitars that are far better than their moderate price would suggest. They are always consistant (which you can't say of an similarly priced Gibson or Epiphone).
I should know, I used to sell both!
Sphaerenkern
I have some classical acoustic guitars standing around, but they're just from other people who don't use them anymore Very Happy
My own guitar is a Ibanez western guitar. This one. Smile
I really like it, the preamp comes in handy when I play with some friends.
gtherockgod
I"ve got a couple Jacksons (King V and DKMG) which I play through a Bugera 6262 head and Marshall 1960 cab.

I just finished making my own custom pedalboard Razz It consists of my amp's footswitch, my new Korg Pitchblack tuner, my Crybaby wah, my Boss DD6 delay and my Boss GE7 Equalizer. Hoping to add a flanger to the mix soon, and maybe an MXR boost. I also got an ebow about a week ago, its a nifty little toy, though quite overpriced.
gtherockgod
I"ve got a couple Jacksons (King V and DKMG) which I play through a Bugera 6262 head and Marshall 1960 cab.

I just finished making my own custom pedalboard Razz It consists of my amp's footswitch, my new Korg Pitchblack tuner, my Crybaby wah, my Boss DD6 delay and my Boss GE7 Equalizer. Hoping to add a flanger to the mix soon, and maybe an MXR boost. I also got an ebow about a week ago, its a nifty little toy, though quite overpriced.
Ankhanu
rockstar wrote:
Yamaha have a habit on making very good guitars, at very good prices. Not the cheapest, but always good guitars that are far better than their moderate price would suggest. They are always consistant (which you can't say of an similarly priced Gibson or Epiphone).

I've really gotta disagree on Yamaha there. Yamaha's quality control is the pits, there's a LOT of variation between instruments from the same model/production.
With this in mind, yeah, they put out some instruments that are fantastic quality for the price... but they will also put out some that are utter garbage; all with the same model name/number.

Luckily, I ended up on the better end of the spectrum with my Yamaha bass; it played better than a lot of their more expensive models... and better than other basses of the same model I picked up later. Used it for years until I got my Fender and stopped playing 5-string.
rockstar
Ankhanu wrote:
rockstar wrote:

I've really gotta disagree on Yamaha there. Yamaha's quality control is the pits, there's a LOT of variation between instruments from the same model/production.
With this in mind, yeah, they put out some instruments that are fantastic quality for the price... but they will also put out some that are utter garbage; all with the same model name/number.

Luckily, I ended up on the better end of the spectrum with my Yamaha bass; it played better than a lot of their more expensive models... and better than other basses of the same model I picked up later. Used it for years until I got my Fender and stopped playing 5-string.

I stop working in a guitar shop in 1996, maybe things have changed since then, but that was my experience of them. Oh and the bass player in my current band plays a Yamaha 6 string. He prefers it to his Ibanez which sounds a bit "flat" in comparison and doesn't stay in tune.
I played an SG2000s for a couple of years, but my back complained too much!
spinout
I got a 1967 Hofner - archtop - or semi accustic... I use Bassman amplifiers mostly. Or I can go for a Vox - or rather the VOX bass releases...
Hm yes I play guitar on bass amps - since it makes the sound more fullrange. Mostly I go for an midrange pickup or use 2 at a time. The outcome is like jonny horton sound or I can do it hard like dick dale.. hm barbvire music you think - yeah it kind of gets that way when U dont have so much sustain. I prefer as less sustain as possible to make the barbwire AND Old strings...

As a soundeffect I only Use Echo - One echo and about 220 ms. Kind of a slapback - yea but not too much... I have a daneletctro tepeecho sim - the first release. I got a hagstrom tape echo. I also got the Boss Roland tape echo sim. I prefer them in that order - the danelectro first release is outstanding but the tape echo is the real thing if you want the real vintage sound.

I got a telecater also - most for practise. It's the last model from USA before they shut down the plant in the 80s - a good guitar exept for the pickups... But you can easily put on better ones. The oldest types are the best. But this guitar really go together with musicman amps - so if you dont have got the proper sound out of your tele , test A 410 musicman amp!

If I would have to go for another guitar I should but a Guild or a rickenbacker !
bissoboa
I've got three guitars:
-one classic
-one acoustic
-one electric
they're beautiful, they're like three girlfriends there wainting me to be satisfied
and of course they're a bit jealous too Wink
bissoboa
the classic one is an old yamaha that my father had got since I was young. I very started to play with her
schooldays
I have one Vintage acoustic guitar with a small pickup, and I'm planning on getting a good-quality Squier Stratocaster (maybe in sunburst) soon-ish. I'm more of a Fender fan than Gibson, although I did like the Les Paul when I tried it out. I also like Rickenbackers a lot.

I've been to Japan recently, and the guitar stores there are mind-blowingly big, with hundreds of guitars and amps. I think I went to about five.
bissoboa
Quote:
I have one Vintage acoustic guitar with a small pickup, and I'm planning on getting a good-quality Squier Stratocaster (maybe in sunburst) soon-ish. I'm more of a Fender fan than Gibson, although I did like the Les Paul when I tried it out. I also like Rickenbackers a lot.

How old is your "Vintage" acoustic guitar? And of what brand? Please tell something also about the pickup. Surprised
My acoustic is a Martin D28 model year 2005, equipped with an aftermarket Fishman Matrix Natural II piezoelectric pickup, installed by myself (with a little help from a good carpenter for the hole...)
I think she as got a good natural sound, although not the absolutely maximum you would hear. This guitar was very expensive of course...
rockstar
bissoboa wrote:
Quote:

How old is your "Vintage" acoustic guitar? And of what brand? Please tell something also about the pickup. Surprised
My acoustic is a Martin D28 model year 2005, equipped with an aftermarket Fishman Matrix Natural II piezoelectric pickup, installed by myself (with a little help from a good carpenter for the hole...)
I think she as got a good natural sound, although not the absolutely maximum you would hear. This guitar was very expensive of course...

"Vintage" is a brand name used by UK distributor John Hornby Skewes.
bissoboa
Quote:
"Vintage" is a brand name used by UK distributor John Hornby Skewes.

Ok I understand... Is it a popular brand? I didn't know.
Nothing more to say?
metalfreek
I have a acoustic guitar which is almost broken. May be someone would suggest me which Electric guitar is best for a learner like me who really dont have to much money.
kilotun
I have a B.C.Rich metal master KKW warlock very nice guitar for only 120$ at the time i bought it. more expensive now. but ya it has a good sound and has a great solid body and a great feel when being played. And i also use a Crate gtd 120 is a goos cheap amp. 120 watts so it is really loud. and is plenty good for garage shows and stuff like that. I also play Rhythm for Diabolical A new band out of the IE. We are a thrash metal band just message me if you have any questions.
liljp617
metalfreek wrote:
I have a acoustic guitar which is almost broken. May be someone would suggest me which Electric guitar is best for a learner like me who really dont have to much money.

Find a local guitar store, let them know your situation. Don't buy guitars you haven't played.
bissoboa
Quote:

Quote:
Find a local guitar store, let them know your situation..

Find a local *friend* of your who is a good guitar player, and go the the local store with him. Then look for used guitars in good conditions! You can get a nice electric guitar to start and in the future work to improve it if you like (shielding, pickup, frets... )
If I was you I would look for an old Charvel/Jackson...
Quote:
Don't buy guitars you haven't played

Why?? Very Happy
liljp617
bissoboa wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Find a local guitar store, let them know your situation..

Find a local *friend* of your who is a good guitar player, and go the the local store with him. Then look for used guitars in good conditions! You can get a nice electric guitar to start and in the future work to improve it if you like (shielding, pickup, frets... )
If I was you I would look for an old Charvel/Jackson...
Quote:
Don't buy guitars you haven't played

Why?? Very Happy

Because absolutely no guitar in the world is exactly the same as another. You can learn a lot about a specific guitar by picking it up and playing a few chords/riffs on it (of course, your suggestion to bring someone who knows a lot about guitar is a great one). Get a feel for any guitar before you blow your money on it, check the action, check for all the loose ends. There's no reason to spend as much money on guitars as they typically cost without getting a good feel for it and making sure it's worth it.
warriorpoets
I have a beat up old Galaxia 601N. I used to hate it. It seems that the action on it was nigh unto impossible, and it would never hold a tune. Then I changed the strings, and I kept playing on it...

It's a doll now. Holds a tune forever, a pleasure to play. I don't have the best skills in the world (I tell people I'm better than a 3 chord musician because I know FIVE chords lol) but I enjoy playing it.

One of these days I want to pick up an electric.
IrishOscalinaWilde
Electric guitar is my first chice. Fender Strat at the top of my list, but i adore the sound of acoustics too! Alot of the boys sort of go woozy when i play electric guitar, its somehow more sexy to transport around!
poppat
I have a Fender Squire Strat from the Eighties which has been pimped.

I also have a Yamaha MSG which is a good all round guitar.

I don't play much anymore.

I have two electro-acoustics.
Washburn and a cheapy Brunswick. They both suck.

I want a Yamaha acoustic from the Seventies. My friends have them and they are so easy to play.

Good luck and happy guitar playing.

poppat
Dean_The_Great
I have some cheap Ibanez electric, and an even cheaper Japanese knock off acoustic. They didn't cost much, but they're light on the fingers, they stay in tune well, and they manage to give fairly rich sound. I plugged the Ibanez into a old modded traynor tube amp head which was hooked up to a custom speaker box, and it BLEW MY MIND! It has nothing to do with my guitar, and everything to do with the amp/speaker, and when my friend plugged in his custom single-coil it blew my mind AGAIN!
rockstar
My second ever guitar (I won't mention the first, it was that bad) was a Kay dreadnought copy. It was black with big white flowers engraved on the scratch plate. It played like a dream,and it was also the cheapest acoustic in the shop (40). The sound was nothing special, but its served me well for many years.
28 years on, I still have it. I had a pick up fitted several years ago, but the poor things now been neglected and could do with some tlc.
I bought my 1st electric in 1981, and still have the receipt to prove it! It was a black Hondo2 Les Paul copy. I think the that the bolt on neck was mounted wrong, because the intonation was diabolical! I persevered with this for a while, until a freind of mine sold me his Fender Bullet. This was the original USA made, poplar bodied "shrunken telecaster" shaped one, unlike the later "Strat like" Fender and Squire variants. It was ok, I played in tune, but I found that the pick ups were lacking.
I was a big Status Quo fan (who, of course, are most famous for using Telecasters). Wandering around a local music shop I spotted a bright orange 70s Tele that was in the sale......

To be continued.....
Ankhanu
rockstar wrote:
I bought my 1st electric in 1981, and still have the receipt to prove it! It was a black Hondo2 Les Paul copy. I think the that the bolt on neck was mounted wrong, because the intonation was diabolical!

Hondo has made some decent economy instruments, but yeah, when they're off a little, man they're off Razz My band's guitarist has a Hodno ES style copy that can get some mean growl, but intonation and tuning is a $*#&@. Luckily he doesn't use it much Razz
nikhilio
I have an American-made stratocaster.

I love the sound. I bought it for about 1000 dollars. I play in a band, and the guitar has brought me many good shows and fun.

I also have an ibanez accoustic, along with another accoustic guitar that I hardly ever use. I'm probably gonna sell that one.
Jrshd
I have so many guitars its not even funny.

I have:
Ibanez SZ720FM.
ESP Eclipse II.
ESP M-50 Custom.
2 Alvarez Acoustics.
Cheap Rogue Bass (5 String).
PRS Tremonti SE.

I also have many little junk guitars that I use to just play around with.
rockstar
Part 2!

I went to get the orange Tele a couple of weeks later, once I had saved up a few more quid. After two train changes, I arrived at the shop, but was horrified to find that the guitar was no longer in the sale! After speaking to the salesman, he agreed to let me have it at the previous price of 250. The next weekend, I had a jam with my old school freinds in my (long suffering) parents living room. A freind had just got a brand new Tokai telecaster, which played very well (probably better than my Fender) but didn't have the same depth of tone.
Ultimately, I decided that a Tele wasn't for me as I really wanted to ROCK, as most 18 year olds do, so the search was on for a humbucker equipped, fire breathing monster! In the mean time, a local band was in need of a bass player. I auditioned (borrowing a friends' bass and amp) and got the job. The Tele was swapped in a local music shop for a secondhand Ibanez "precision type" bass (I really was ripped off!). 6 weeks and 1 gig later, the band imploded, leaving me to contine with my search for a real ROCK guitar!
Something had caught my eye in yet another music shop. It kinda looked a bit like a Les Paul crossed with an SG. Carved top, but slighty offset double cutaway, two Dimarzio humbuckers and had the name "Westbury" on the Aria-like 6-a-side headstock. I had to try it. It was pretty heavy, it played well and sustained forever. THIS WAS IT! I bought this guitar, a loved it. It did everything that I wanted a guitar to do. I would still be playing this guitar now if I hadn't been seduced into buying something with that "Gibson" name on it!

I guess that means theres gonna be a part 3!
west18
I have an old IBANEZ RG550, Desert Yellow. One of my favorite guitars
my main one is a Fender Blue Flower Strat, Great axe.
an Epipone acoustic and Les Paul replica. cheap but pretty.
rockstar
Part 3

Ok, Just to put all this into perspective, All the action previously happened between 1981 and 1987, so it was quite a long time ago. Its now Sept 1988 and I had wandered in to a music shop in the nearest city. I spotted a secondhand (but immaculate) cherry red Gibson SG hanging on the wall. The shop assistant saw me looking at it and asked if I would like to play it. When I explained that I couldn't afford it, he said "Hang on, I think there's another one in the stock room upstairs". A few minutes later he came down with a black case. This had a mid '70s (again cherry red) SG standard in its plush yellow lining. I played it, I liked it, but it didn't seem to sing like my Westbury. I went back the next day and traded in my trusty Westbury, thinking that I must be missing something, after all it was a GIBSON!
Today, 20 years later, I still have it. Its very battered, the original pickups died years ago, the machineheads have been changed. Do I love it? Yes I do! Do i play it......well...no. Its been retired, to be replaced by a Yamaha SG2000S, which I found to be too heavy, then a PRS McCarty which has been my main axe for a while, and I can't see me ever getting rid of it. Its probably the best all round guitar that I have ever played, I was going to buy another SG, but after trying almost every model, I decided that I needed something that did a bit more. Old age? Maybe! I play in a heavy rock band, so I'm not quite out to pasture yet.
Maybe I'll do my amplifier story next!
officernarc
i have the following:

one (1) piece of shit no-name black gibson sg ripoff that stopped working for absolutely no reason.

one (1) piece of shit electric bass which is now fretless due to the fact that i tore the frets out of it last year. i use this to record noise songs with. the pickups are absolute shit in it and it sounds like the apocalypse. the up-side to owning a piece of shit bass is that it doesn't matter how much or hard you hit it, it doesn't matter because it didn't wind up costing that much to begin with.

one (1) 10 watt samick amp which i've used to record several songs. when you turn on the shitty distortion, it makes shit-tons of background noise which i have no idea how to get rid of.

one (1) vox vr 30 amplifier. basically a solid state amp that gives a very nice tube-sounding distortion. perfect for harassing cats, loosening bowels and annoying neighbors with.

as far as the guitars i have known and made love to over the past few years, very few have survived. they always wind up getting smashed for some reason or another. thus, i would like you all to join me in a moment of silence to the following fallen soldiers of rock:

one (1) jackson electric - unknown model
one (1) esp custom bass
one (1) 7 string ibanez rg
one (1) hondo acoustic
one (1) yamaha acoustic
one (1) acoustic bass - unknown model/brand
one (1) ibanez artcore

this one's for you, my poor, poor guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyBWUgwpUBM
rockstar
Currently, I have the previously mentioned PRS McCarty gold top

A black Korean Parker model, the sound is ok, but the small neck plays like a dream (almost makes me believe I can play fast!). Good rock guitar.

A no name butterscotch Tele copy (supposedly a Jap home maket Tokai). Fitted some pickups from a Jap Fender Tele, plays good, sounds good and probably gets used more than any of the others, as it sits by my computer for me to "fiddle" with.

A black Chinese Fake "Fender" Telecaster. Fitted with Schallers, Seymour Duncans, vintage style compensated bridge. Not a patch on the previous guitar. I don't use it, might sell it.

A "Vintage" brand bass. Horrible blue colour. Plays ok, sounds ok. Gets used for home recording sessions and the odd bit of live bass playing when I get the "can you just...." call.
Ankhanu
Eep, this is a double post; I thought the new guitar rig thread was the one I posted to before with my set up... oh well, here it is again Razz

I added a little to my setup early in December, a Fulltone Distortion Pro DS-1 and a Peterson Strobostomp tuning pedal. I still don't have much practice with the distortion pedal and haven't found exactly the tone I will run with, but it sounds pretty nice when I need dirt... which I just can't get from my Twin without a pedal. I love that both of these pedals are True-bypass, as the guitar and amp sound so sweet on their own.

So, the setup: Fender Aerodyne Telecaster -> Peterson Strobostomp -> Fulltone DP-1 -> 1972 Fender Twin Reverb
Occasionally the Tele is replaced by that Godin Exit-22 you see the side of in the picture.

officernarc
that's a nice looking tele there. i like how it matches your bass. how does it sound when you distort the poo-poo out of it?
Ankhanu
I've only run it through a couple pedals, and recently my guitar player borrowed it for a show while his Epi SG wasn't working. It sounded pretty sweet with the on-amp distortion on his Traynor 410 with 212 cabinet. Using my Jim Dunlop Jackhammer through my Twin, it was passable, but not great... mind you, I don't like the Jackhammer as a guitar distortion anyway, I use it on my bass. Using the Fulltone DP-1, I've gotten some pretty sweet distortion tones out of it, though. A quality pedal makes all the difference.

Clean, it is an absolutely gorgeous guitar. The vintage style soap-bar is deliciously warm, even through the classically cold Twin Reverb. The vintage single coil in the neck has lots of classic Tele twang and growl. The middle position, using both pickups, gives an interesting blend of the best characters of both pickups, and distorts quite nicely.

The matching bass and guitar things was completely unintentional. I'd fallen in love with the Aerodyne Jazz Bass years ago when they first came out, and it took me a few years to get one. Last year, after Christmas (Boxing Day here in Canada), I went to the music store, and picked up the Tele on a lark and immediately fell in love with its tone, playability and sustain for days... didn't hurt that it looked awesome to boot Wink It was one of the guitars on sale, for only $500... and it was the last day of the sale. After some serious consideration, I went home and grabbed the cash I had put away to buy a Jaguar Baritone Custom and bought the Tele. Luckily, when I got back to where the Jag was for sale I found that someone else had bought it while I was away, and I'd have missed out on it anyway Smile
welshsteve
I used to play loads but not anymore.

I have owned the various guitars. Strat and Les Paul copies. I once owned a 1968 Les Paul, but sold it. I now own a Epiphone Cherry Red Sunburst Les Paul and a Tanglewood Electro-Acoustic, plus a Marshall Valvestate amp.
madenotborn
Hello first time poster here. I've had a guitar since last march, but just the other night i was playing and when the string broke the screw in the string tree for my "A" sting popped out and i lost it. Would anyone know what to do in this kinda situation or where to get a new one. Thanks.
rockstar
madenotborn wrote:
Hello first time poster here. I've had a guitar since last march, but just the other night i was playing and when the string broke the screw in the string tree for my "A" sting popped out and i lost it. Would anyone know what to do in this kinda situation or where to get a new one. Thanks.

Hardware shop? Yup! Seriously!

If the wood is damaged, fill the hole with a mix of wood glue and sawdust. When its dry, just put a new screw in!
evilgeniuself
I am planning on getting a guitar soon, and will probably get a nice acoustic guitar....
madenotborn
rockstar wrote:
madenotborn wrote:

Hardware shop? Yup! Seriously!

If the wood is damaged, fill the hole with a mix of wood glue and sawdust. When its dry, just put a new screw in!

It's not in the wood its in the bridge and it hold what i think is called the string tree and i doupt the a hardware shop would have it the threads in the screw are extremely fine.
Ankhanu
The bridge is on the body; where the strings transition between where they're anchored and where they're free (the saddles are attached to it). A string tree is a piece of hardware on the headstock, sometimes used in guitars with flat headstocks (not angled away at ~30deg.) between the nut and tuning head to help reduce the string vibration travelling behind the nut (rather than sustaining the vibration of the string where it makes sound).

Perhaps if you took a picture, or found a reference picture of what you mean we could give some meaningful advice.
Insanity
I've got a Fender HSS Standard Strat, Electron Blue hooked up to a simple Roland Cube 20x. I also have one of those Yamaha starter acoustic packs, and it's not that great. Love my strat though.
tony
hrm... nope. i have a violin though! Smile
Garga
I have Washburn WR 154...old but i love it Smile
Noremac
I own a squier strat, which in my opinion is as good as any Fender.
Also I have an Australian made Maton acoustic worth about 2 grand, it has the most perfect sound.
I've been getting into the bass lately though, I own a squier P-bass which is good for me.
I also play electric drums, most other stuff I do on computer.
slashnburn99
Ultimate Guitar would be

WashBurn or Ibanez

i will have one, one day oh Yes