FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do I get favicon to show up?

Xcelerate
On my localhost, it shows up fine, but when I actually load it to the internet, it does not (it's usually at the top of the tab, Firefox). Is there something I need to put in my HTML to make it show up?
Neus
put this withen your <head>
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="(location of fav icon)" type="image/x-icon" />
shwetanshu
thanx neus it also helped me
Daniel15
Make sure the icon is 16x16 and 16 colours, otherwise your icon can actually crash older browsers! (Internet Explorer 5 for example)

It should work automatically, as long as you call it 'favicon.ico' and upload it to your root folder (http://yoursite.frihost.net/favicon.ico)
boringest
not sure if this will definitely work but putting it in your root folder i.e. public_html will also result in it being shown automatically i think.
corey
That does work, btw. The favicon.ico will show up (in favorites too) if you put it there.
Gerardus™
Hi there.
I obviously did something wrong, cuz my favicon doesn't show up at all! Confused
I tried it with favicon.ico, also favicon.png. but nothing worked.
When i installed mambo, i had the mambo favicon showing up, but when i changed it it was gone and it never returned even when i put the original back..
I deleted all temporary internet files and cookies etc, but still nothing.
Does anyone know what could cause this?
mitja
Probably there is some problem with the icon...
Mine is working fine... (http://www.studmed.altervista.org/)
Just try to put the file (called favicon.ico) in the root directory and it should be fine!
Neus
Gerardus™ wrote:
Hi there.
I obviously did something wrong, cuz my favicon doesn't show up at all! Confused
I tried it with favicon.ico, also favicon.png. but nothing worked.
When i installed mambo, i had the mambo favicon showing up, but when i changed it it was gone and it never returned even when i put the original back..
I deleted all temporary internet files and cookies etc, but still nothing.
Does anyone know what could cause this?

are you sure your favicon fits under the rules of a fav icon? 16x16 pxls, stay withen the 256 colors...
mostarac
All you need is to visit google and search for "favicon".

First result will be:

Favicon.com - custom icons for your website!

Online Java icon editor to create favicon.ico files that customize the marketing
logo in Internet Explorer 5's favorites/bookmarks.

www.favicon.com
budazz
this topic is already discussed in the design tips section ....mybe you should check the section... Very Happy
WWWBEN
yeah just slap that piece of code in your HTML between the HEAD tags and upload the Favicon.ico file on your host
Ranfaroth
Gerardus™ wrote:
I tried it with favicon.ico, also favicon.png.
Caution : if you use a PNG file instead of a ICO one, you must replace image/x-icon with image/png in the link tag.
Xcelerate
Alright, that worked! Thanks.