FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Blank screen BEFORE windows xp load

nalgas
Hi. I have this problem using win xp. I hope somebody can help me. I've searched the internet and all I can find are black screens after windows loading bar screen, but my problem is before loading bar screen.

One day I booted normally and before logon screen i got a bsod. PC rebooted imidietely. I've got those one before and pc restarts normally so I didn't freak out, but this time something has changed.

PC starts normally but before entering the windows xp loading bar screen with the windows xp logo it hangs on a blank (black) screen, not black screen of power saving, the monitor is on, more like the background of MS-DOS.

I tried safe mode and I noticed that when loading the drivers it got stuck loading vga850.fon. Just stopped loading and stayed like that forever in line c:\windows\fonts\vga850.fon.

Then I tried the windows xp OS cd and expanded vga850.fon from the i386 folder to the windows\system folder but problem continued, then I tried expanding vga850.fon to the windows\fonts folder but it says that it could not be expanded.

Then I tried booting Kubuntu 7.10 from a live cd and it booted ok so it's not a hardware problem. I'm writing this from there.

Does anybody know what can I do to solve this? I don't want to reinstall windows. Thanks for any answer.
bissoboa
Boh... What strange! Confused

Quote:
One day I booted normally and before logon screen i got a bsod. PC rebooted imidietely. I've got those one before and pc restarts normally so I didn't freak out, but this time something has changed.

Why do you think you got "bsod" the first time?
welshsteve
Sounds like you need to run the recovery console for Windows XP. Pop your Windows CD in your drive and boot from CD, then run the recovery console. You'll need the administrator password to do this. Failing that, you could try a repair of the Windows installation - you should have the option to do this when you boot from CD.

If all else fails, you'll need to wipe the hard disk and reload windows. Obviously this would have to be a last resort and you'd need to first backup any important information on there, either by hooking hard disk up to another computer as a slave drive (no need if its a sata drive), or take it to a local computer shop and see if they are able to back it up for you onto a DVD or something.
marrs
Have you installed any new hardware or made any updates?
Defrag harddrive and run ccleaner
Have you uninstalled the old video card drivers before installing this new card? If the old video was integrated into the motherboard it should be disabled in the BIOS or on the motherboard via jumpers as well.
Jaan
give up on windows.. install ubuntu.

jk.

what i would suggest: use live CD to back up important data, then run a complete reformat.. .well worth it every few months/weeks
fadirocks
c:\windows\fonts\vga850.fon. wow that's just weird!!! can you try to nuke that file off???