You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Online Tutorials are the future of learning.

These are the skills I'm currently learning thanks to online tutorials which can be found easily by searching Google or Youtube.

Graphics and Design
Drawing (comics, portraits, cartooning, etc.)
Digital Inking
Website Design

You can acquire university-level skills if you're willing to put in the time and effort, and have an internet connection.
Online tutorials have added a lot to my education. I have learned so much online about programming, science, etc. But that will never replace the education that I get from a classroom setting.
Agreed. This is pretty awesome. I am in the process of learning my way around Blackboard, and am doing it instinctively, but also with assistance of online tutorials.
The Internet is the best teacher.
The classroom atmosphere is also simulated nowadays with virtual training in the form of online video-conferencing.
This is also done at major schools and universities at courses in various areas.

This solves the problem of availability of seats and reaches out to a wider audience (who otherwise would not have been able to attend, for reasons of geographical distance or other work commitments).

Besides, participating at video sessons/forums and getting your work reviewed and doubts cleared is a different experience because you are interacting with a wider audience, as opposed to a limited classroom atmosphere.

Yes, online training should not substitute the classroom...........but it definitely adds as a booster.
Being a retired teacher who all ways thought their was nothing better than face to face contact, I am further convinced that the way forward for many is through using the internet for learning. Not only on computing type subjects is the net usfull but also for trade qualifications. In the UK you can now take courses only previously found in the old Technical Colleges. Myself I am embarking on a late career in catering and have taken my Level 2 Food and Hygene for Caterers. This is need if you wish to cook in a commercial kitchen. Normally it costs twice as much to do the course at a college and takes a full day of lectures and an exam. On the net it only takes about 2hrs and you can if you wish spread this over 7 sessions to do at your own speed and leasure, and then take the exam, which if you fail you can repeat ed sit an exam until you pass, all at no extra cost.
I'd like to disagree completly (even as a new member, I think I'm allowed to do that, right?)

Online tutorials don't give feedback or support. The best way of learning is through making a mistake, and learning not to do that mistake again. Obviously, if you make a mistake following an online lesson, there is no teacher to tell you where you went wrong. I once tried learning VB6 from the internet, and found immense frustration that "Randomise" didn't work when I typed it, but did in anything that I copy-and-pasted (the reason: I'm English, VB6 isn't. It has a "z" in it Rolling Eyes )

Blackboard and similar apps can help, but they're no substitute for having someone to guide you. Again, it's all very well following a guide, but what if you don't understand what they mean by something? Or if your particular version of the software doesn't have that button? A teacher can tell you what to do.

And don't even get me started on forums. Generally, a "<Insert-Software-Name-Here> Beginners Forum" will only ever be populated by newbies to the software. There might be one or two old hands, but mostly if you ask "how do I do this", you'll not get a reply, because no one else knows how to do it either.

Then again, your milage may vary. But I've yet to learn something online that a teacher couldn't have told me quicker and more effectivly.
I do agree that online tuts can get you the knowledge that most people go to university to get. Hell, I only went to uni to realize that I wanted to be a web developer then started reading online tutorials. It took me a year, but I can now advertise myself as a skilled Web developer.

But, I don't agree that it's the future. 'Cuz you're not going to read a 300-500 page book on PHP all on your computer without feeling some sort of strain, even if you don't read it all in one go.
I agree that lots of things can be learned from the internet nowadays.
I learned to play guitar from, looking up chords and what not.
I learned to cook many home recipies online.
I am currently learning photography from the internet as well, using written tutorials as well as videos.

And I strongly support that many university-level studies can be introduced through the internet.
I have learned so many things in many diverse topics online, and I enjoy it Very Happy
Almost all major universities in the world do offer online degree courses (classes are held through video conferencing, online sessions etc.)
Book reference is limited to the pages of the book.........whereas in online education, learning is enhanced through online Q&A sessions, forums etc. You get access to a wider knowledge base at your own flexible timings.
So a lot of people can manage work and study, in this manner.

Even those who attend regular college do make use of the internet for further study and reference.
Online education has become indispensable nowadays.
I also agree that internet is good tool for more study. I get what ever videos
on Science experiments in my subject. You get quick and correct guidence
for queries with google too
The internet is a great supplement to instruction, but it will never completely replace it.I googled "learn java" and I tried to find a good tutorial, but none of the ones I looked at made any sense to me. I'm sure someone will find one that is perfectly satisfactory, but I didn't. This past summer I took a three-week course on java, and have begun working on basic applets, something I never could have done without an instructor looking over my should and telling me why my code doesn't work. Then there's the issue of completeness. I learned everything I know about computers through trial and error, which is fine, but by learning things on a need to know basis one limits the realm of what they can do. In class you learn things you didn't know you didn't know. The course I took was based on the AP computer science curriculum. I didn't even know what a for loop was before that. Finally, sometimes you want to learn something that hasn't been done widely. I wanted to create my own proxy. I had to find the script, implement it adn tweak it with no tutorials or anything because there weren't any. I put the first comprehensive list of methods for evading filtering on wikihow. Right now I want to stream a handful of videos from a website, tv-style. I don't know that a truly live streaming tv channel has ever been put on the internet of prerecorded shows. Also, I cannot find a good guide on setting up a vnc server. Without my teacher I would be lost in Math. THe internet can;t do it all.
On-line tutorials are nice for add-on learning but there is no feedback/help if you get into a jam.