FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Better subcategorization of forums

AFriedman
There are relatively few forums in Frihost and very eclectic topics can find their way into the same forum. This can be a problem for those of us who are searching for discussions and information about a more specialized topic. When we try to search for discussions of specialized topics that may not contain the keywords we're looking for, we may wade through many irrelevant posts in the forum before we come to the posts we need.

I like the subcategorization system of WikiAnswers, a site where people answer questions about particular types of information. On WikiAnswers, there are elaborate hierarchies and subhierarchies for what category the question falls within. Users can specify up to three subcategories, and moderators may change these subcategories.

Moderators (of which I am one) can also merge identical answers. People should be able to merge threads that appear to discuss identical topics.
rvec
you can report those topics. I don't think it would be good to give normal users those powers
ocalhoun
AFriedman wrote:
There are relatively few forums in Frihost

Depending on what you compare it to... 63 by my quick count, which is a huge number compared to most phpbb forums. Once you've gotten a feel for what kind of topics are likely to be in what forums, it is relatively easy to search (as long as you have good key words to search by).