FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hidden folders not visible

bukaida
Hi
I cannot view the hidden folders in my system even after un-hiding them from tool->folder option-->view-->show hidden files and folders.After clicking ok, the system again goes to donot show hidden files and folders.The folders are visible if I go through the advanced option of windows search ie I have to remember the name of it. Is it due to any virus? At present I am using Kaspersky Internet Security and it reports that the system is virus free.How to get around this problem?I am using XP with SP2.
KHO
Which folders exactly are you looking for? Windows has 2 types of folder classes that it hides from the default view, hidden folders and system folders. If you want to see these system folders you can uncheck the already checked item in the tools-->folder options-->view dialog called "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"

Most viruses wouldn't hide specific folders (except their own, eg: umbrellas), but there are some that would prevent you from looking at any folder or file within any hard disk on the machine.

Also, as a side note, if you are doing a lot of operations by file manipulation or trying to browse through extensive amounts of files/folders, you may want to check out a program called Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/

Direct download link: http://www.techspot.com/downloadget.php?id=301&file=1&evp=82a5be0f801f079c587215426dd897b8
FunDa
bukaida wrote:
Hi
I cannot view the hidden folders in my system even after un-hiding them from tool->folder option-->view-->show hidden files and folders.After clicking ok, the system again goes to donot show hidden files and folders.The folders are visible if I go through the advanced option of windows search ie I have to remember the name of it. Is it due to any virus? At present I am using Kaspersky Internet Security and it reports that the system is virus free.How to get around this problem?I am using XP with SP2.

Yup, it looks like the after effect of a virus.

If you can access the registry, you can clear up the problem

______________________________________________________-
Go to Start --> Run, then type regedit and press Enter
The registry editor opens up

Navigate to the registry folder
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL
Find a key called CheckedValue.
Double Click CheckedValue key and modify it to 1. This should remove the lock on the setting to show all the hidden files.

Go to My Computer
Tools > Folder Options and make hidden files visible

(If this doesn't work - In registry editor, Click View - > Refesh after a few seconds to check if the value is still 1. If it changes back to 0, it means the virus is still active in your computer.)
bukaida
Thanx funda for your help on both Orkut virus and the hidden folder problem.Actualy the first one was responsible for the second problem.
afreedi
tanks to funda ................coz i had a same problem and now i am so happy ...thank you again.
Very Happy
FunDa
Just in case anyone else has the same problem of hidden folders not becoming visible, here is a youtube video on how to fix it. Its the same as what I described in my previous post.

[url]

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk5cnxhRDr8&channel=funda007

[/url]

Made this a long time ago and forgot about it Smile
shkhanal
Thank you FunDa its a good video. Hope this will solve the thread starter's problem and he would be able to show his hidden folders.
internetjobs
did you check in command mode..

attrib +H
attrib-H ?
jiangshan
you can have a try to run your regedit modify a key value about show hidden folders,I am not very sure!
jackill
I confirm. If You are not able to show hidden files it can be virus/trojan. Scan Your PC. AVG Free Edition is ok. Also Combo Fix and FlashDisinsector and of course hijack (paste log at: www.hijackthis.de ).
FunDa
Note that if this

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk5cnxhRDr8&channel=funda007

Doesn't seem to work , the virus may still be active and is changing the value back to 0.

First the virus has to be removed and then this should work
pha-camot
try this

>help attrib

Displays or changes file attributes.
ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A ] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [[drive:] [path] filename]
[/S [/D]]
+ Sets an attribute.
- Clears an attribute.
R Read-only file attribute.
A Archive file attribute.
S System file attribute.
H Hidden file attribute.
/S Processes matching files in the current folder
and all subfolders.
prateek
in my case.. the attribute of all folders is not hidden
i can open any file through run command but when i try to open any folder by clicking.. it says "the folder is empty" and hence i can't see any subfolder or files..
please help me.. i think a nasty virus has entered my pc.. but my antivirus isn't able to solve the problem
FunDa
Run HijackTHis and post a log here. We could have a look.

Also get Process explorer. It will be needed.

Process Explorer can be found here on microsoft's site http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip

Pm me ur google talk id and I'll contact u when I'm free.