FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Contaminated milk products from China

bellebello
Why are such things happening in China so frequently? So many children are affected already. There's even a case of a 3 year old with kidney stones in Hong Kong. I think I'm gonna avoid all chinese food products from now on. Who knows what else is contaminated.
deanhills
bellebello wrote:
Why are such things happening in China so frequently? So many children are affected already. There's even a case of a 3 year old with kidney stones in Hong Kong. I think I'm gonna avoid all chinese food products from now on. Who knows what else is contaminated.

Guess you would have to look very closely at all food products that you purchase, as quite a number of products that are under well-known local labels originate from China. Getting really confusing with all of the outsourcing that is ongoing.
Kelvin
Why does it happen? Because of greed and money. Money is the root to all evil and many unscrupulous people will do anything and everything just to get their hand on those greenbacks at the expense of others. This is just one of many things that got exposed worldwide. I'm sure there are many other things we are not aware of that happens in all these food processing companies. Lifestock that are already dead due to sickness and other things could even be used and processed for human consumption. It's actually quite scary what we consume now adays.
c'tair
Same reason why the yogurt I ate yesterday had coloring made from acid of insect origin or the soft drink I drank had aspartam in it. It's all about the money, and if something doesn't kill you right away then it's made legal.
Bikerman
It is certainly greed.
The chemical we are talking about - melamine - was added to the milk products in order to raise the protein level. Large distributors do routine tests on milk to ensure that it has a certain level of protein. Adding melamine fools the test and makes low quality milk appear to be high quality - thus there is a financial incentive.
bellebello
These things seem to happen alot in china. Either the people there are unscrupulous or they have very lax standards. Wasn't it not long ago that there was a huge incident about having too much lead in the paint on children's toys?
Kelvin
The best part about this scandal is that these dairy producers were already aware of the situation since December last year and did not bother to react or do anything about it. A stitch in time saves nine but unforunately they let the whole thing tear apart before any action is taken. It's too late for that now since it's already a world news and many countries have imposed bans on most food imports from China. It's going to take some time before people can start to trust buying any food products from China again especially those containing milk.
spring567
Because China has so many people , good news happen frequently . so bad news . People all over the world allways more insterest in bad news then good news .
Ofcourse I hate the profiteer who supply contaminated milk .

bellebello wrote:
coolclay
Because it's from China, the world capital of cheaply made chemically filled crap.
bloodrider
It's obvious that bad things happens all over the world but this case at China... And this case it isn't the only one of this kind that we had heard these last years d'oh!
It's sad that things like this continue to happen Sad

Thinking of "conspiracy theory", maybe this was a way to get rid of the excedent of children Twisted Evil
Bikerman
Excedent? Excellent word. My vocab grows slightly for which I thank you Smile
bloodrider
English it isn't my "mother language" so it's normal that I use some stange words/expressions Razz
Bikerman
bloodrider wrote:
English it isn't my "mother language" so it's normal that I use some stange words/expressions Razz

Please don't think I was being ironic or sarcastic - I can assure you that I wasn't. English is my mother tongue and I love it - which is why I am always grateful when someone introduces me to a word I hadn't met before..
bloodrider
OK Wink
I didn't think you're being sarcastic, but anyway I replied so you could get that I'm not a "normal" English user Laughing

off-topic over Razz
gandalfthegrey
I have a question for my Chinese friends...

Is it the Chinese Culture
OR
Is it the Totalitarian Communist regime and system, with rampant corruption
OR
Is it both

That creates a culture of such greed, that many Chinese manufacturers are willing to endanger human life to increase profit?
paul_indo
In any developing country such as China things like this are bound to happen.

The country is progressing from feudalism to modern capitalism very rapidly and there is of course lots of opportunity for shonky business practices, corruption and downright negligence, but the developed countries also have their share of stuff ups so I think we should not be to critical when these things happen.
nigam
I recently went to Hongkong for a vacation last month and I never heard until I was home bringing a lot of chocolates, sweet candies and many more. You know I threw everything that was made in China and even other stuffs. I waste my money buying china products. how could these china companies done to us all. shame on them. i was truly admire them for a developed country but now, shame and i pity on them. they loose a lot of clients to purchase their products and now, i will never ever buy china products again.
handfleisch
I eat locally made and grown food as much as possible, so you won't catch me eating a Cadburys chocolate made in China. I don't drink sodas with aspartame and food with fake chemical flavories and chemical preservative. Why would you?

Why does it happen? Well it can and does happen everywhere, but China is a nightmare scenario -- political dictatorship with hyperactive capitalism. That mean cutting corners in giant sweatshop factories producing the stuff in Walmart (China's #1 single source of their exports).

Don't buy it.
mrcool
wow....not only milk that has contained dreadful chemicals but lipsticks or make ups as well....why would they put such chemicals that could harmful to us? is this mean that chinese people are bad people???....sorry for being pessimistic but i have to say what i felt for those children who suffered ill due to the milk they drink.
harismushtaq
First thing, lack of knowlege, beleif and good character results in man doing such things which are dangerous or unjust for others just because of the blind thirst of money.

Secondly, such things happen all over the world and that is why there is all these authoirities to control. China is a big country so the loss is big. This could be arranged as well to exploit the economy of china but in general, china should have a better control over things. Hope they do it now for future.
spring567
It's terrible to eat such food but I don't think it would happen again .

nigam wrote:
I recently went to Hongkong for a vacation last month and I never heard until I was home bringing a lot of chocolates, sweet candies and many more. You know I threw everything that was made in China and even other stuffs. I waste my money buying china products. how could these china companies done to us all. shame on them. i was truly admire them for a developed country but now, shame and i pity on them. they loose a lot of clients to purchase their products and now, i will never ever buy china products again.
Bikerman
spring567 wrote:
It's terrible to eat such food but I don't think it would happen again .

What do you base that on? Has there been a change in business culture, legislation, business practice? What makes you confident that it will not happen again?
bellebello
China has a culture of "saving face" and this often lead to government officials trying to cover things up instead of nipping it in the bud when they find out about stuff. So when eventually the world finds out, the problem has already blown up to epic proportions and they end up losing more "face". Ironic.

What they desperately need now is to have a national agency like the FDA to regularly test their products before they export them to other countries.
bellebello
Now the melamine thing has spread to eggs in China. http://edition.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/10/28/melamine.china.eggs/index.html
How is it possible for the eggs to be affected by melamine? It's a component they use to make plastics. If the eggs contain melamine it must mean that their chickens have melamine in them too. This means it must have come from the feed. I wonder how many other food products have been affected.
ThePolemistis
paul_indo wrote:
In any developing country such as China things like this are bound to happen.

The country is progressing from feudalism to modern capitalism very rapidly and there is of course lots of opportunity for shonky business practices, corruption and downright negligence, but the developed countries also have their share of stuff ups so I think we should not be to critical when these things happen.

I agree, this can be extended to pollution also. Look at Japan for instance when it made the transition from developing nation to developed.

Albeit, Australia is the worst offender for greenhouse gases per capita, more so than the US. China is very low compared to these two.