FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Python and Serv 3

Jaggo
Has anyone had ANY success in employing Python on server #3?
I'm under the impression Python is Disabled on server 3.

Thoughts?
wumingsden
Hmmm...

http://www.frih.org/phpinfo.php

Well. It doesn't say anything about it, so I guess its not installed. Question
Radar
I've been struggling with this for a while now, so no success here either.

If Python is disabled on Server 3, are there plans to enable it at some stage? I imagine there's no way to switch across to one of the other servers.
wumingsden
Well, I would of imagined that it would of already been installed, so I'm pretty surprised that its not. I'd love to say it will be installed, but if it isn't possible to use python on server3 at the moment, i don't know whether it would be in the future.
In the meantime, if you really need python I'd create a thread in the request an account change forum. I'd support the suggestion for server3 users to move to a different server if needed (due to no-python).

And I'll bring this to Bondings attention.
Jaggo
Alright, thanks wumingsden. I'll post an account change request.
Radar
Yeah, thanks wumingsden for that, and I have posted an account change request.

And thanks to Jaggo for being one of the people to make me realise that it wasn't just me doing something fundamentally wrong.
toxictux
I dont think account changes requests are allowed or handled. i guess all of us who are on server 3 just need to wait till Admin gets some free time and installs/enables Python.
Radar
Yeah, it is said here - http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-823337.html and http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-99805.html - that server changes aren't possible. You've probably seen one or both of those, but for the benefit of others reading this I'm listing it anyway.
Jaggo
lol. and here I Was, wondering why no response...
Radar
Yeah. Actually, rather than me finding a solution to this problem, a solution found me - work has recently asked me to start learning PHP, so I'm now beginning to write in that - which I'm liking as a language, and which of course works on Frihost.

There's just the small, troublesome matter of recoding some scripts I'd already written in Python into PHP.
toxictux
by the way if you want to go back to python, I can confirm that Python is now working on server 3. need to put your script in cgi-bin directory.

Following works for me.

1. create a file tes.py in public_html/cgi-bin directory
2. put following in a file test.py

Code:

#! /usr/bin/env python

print "Content-type: text/html"
print
print "<html>"
print "<center>Hello, Pythonic World....</center>"
print "</html>"

3. change the permission to 755 and. call the script in the browser and there you have it.