FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Intel ATOM 1.6GHz FSB 533Mhz and 512 Kb cache

shenyl
Hello anyone can give more info on the performance of this mobile processor for heavy XP work?

I intent to get this cheap subnote book for MS SQL 2000 server and VS.Net development.

Well also Firework and if possible Flash.

Would be thankful for feedback, before I buy one of these notebook.

Thanks
coreymanshack
shenyl wrote:
Hello anyone can give more info on the performance of this mobile processor for heavy XP work?

I intent to get this cheap subnote book for MS SQL 2000 server and VS.Net development.

Well also Firework and if possible Flash.

Would be thankful for feedback, before I buy one of these notebook.

Thanks

Uhm, for a SQL Server? I think the performance is a bit low. This book isn't gonna be very powerful at all. There will be some load times on your applications.
shenyl
I tried and google on Atom 1.6 performance evaluation, and 2 sites give it as below the 900 Mhz Celeron processor.

So the 1.6Ghz don't really work as 1.6, but at half speed.

However, the 2 sites also noted that the test is on single thread perfomance evaluation, so the Atom chip still has some extras that are not evaluated.

1 site mentioned that MSI uses a slightly different chip which perform slightly faster.

I also has an opportunity to look at the HP subnote book using a 1.2Ghz chip, and the seller who also sells the Acer Aspire, claim that the HP subnote book is faster - of course he is pushing the product he wanted to sell.

I am truly in great need for a subnote book because my shoulders are hurting carrying my LG duo core 13 inch notebook in a backpack.

Would be great for so more suggestion on reasonably priced and reasonable performance subnote book. I would love to consider the MacAir - truly paper thin - but at such a price.

More feedbacks please.
psycosquirrel
Atom blows. Go with a Centrino or a Core 2 Duo.

With the Atom architecture, they sacrificed far too much performance for size and battery life. Even including multithreaded performance in the equation, the core is still far too underpowered to be useful to you.

Just skip it and get a powerful laptop, especially if you are going to be doing .Net development on it.

Also -- if your shoulder *hurts* from a 13" laptop, start going to the gym. The laptop size isn't the problem, your lack of upper body strength is. I lug around a 25-30 pound backpack every day, full of textbooks, my 14" Dell, and notebooks every day without any pain at all. Admittedly I am young, but that is no excuse. A 6 pound laptop should not make you sore, especially if it is in a backpack.
shenyl
Thanks for the good advice on the gym, but indeed I am old - 53+ years old.

I guess I do need the exercises, but gym don't come cheap here in Singapore.

Thanks.
psycosquirrel
Beat a kid over the head with your bag, tell him to respect his elders, and make him carry it! Laughing

But, in all seriousness, if you really need that light of a form factor, there aren't too many options.

I would not bother with the MacBook Air. Think of how often you see them - what does that say about their track record? They might as well be made of porcelain, because so much was sacrificed for space. You can't even upgrade or change the RAM! It is ridiculous.

Have you considered getting a microtablet (Fujitsu Lifebook or similar) and using it to VPN into a more powerful home desktop? If I was unable to easily carry my computer, I would get the smallest laptop I could (a tablet, if possible) and pair it with an EV-DO card. Then, just connect to your much more powerful desktop PC at home, and do all the work there!
coreymanshack
Still, with VPN you need a slightly powerful machine to render the screen efficiently.
william
psycosquirrel wrote:
Have you considered getting a microtablet (Fujitsu Lifebook or similar) and using it to VPN into a more powerful home desktop? If I was unable to easily carry my computer, I would get the smallest laptop I could (a tablet, if possible) and pair it with an EV-DO card. Then, just connect to your much more powerful desktop PC at home, and do all the work there!

Agreed. That probably is the best option you have.

However, if you don't go that route, there are a a number of other 3-4 lb. notebooks on the market. However, few of them are cheap. What's you budget?
fadirocks
Atom is junk don't waste your money on that Celeron itself better!!!!!
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Atom-Athlon-Efficient,1997.html
also
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Intel-Atom-Efficient,1981-18.html
coreymanshack
Wow, I did not realize atom was such a piece of *expletivley deleted*.
psycosquirrel
Yeah. It is essentially a step backwards in terms of CPU technology. It makes no sense.